BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
What cha der ner?
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

So this is my first time replacing tires on my 06 X3 with M sport package. I plan on ordering tires through tirerack.com and having them shipped to my local (not so local because of the location) indy shop for mounting, balancing and alignment of all 4 tires. I am going with the Continental DWS as they served me very well on my VW Passat here in NY weather. Because I am going gack to FL for good in february its pointless to buy winter tires that I will never use again.

I emailed my indy shop in upstate NY to give me a quote for 4 tires to be mounted, balanced and alignment done on all 4wheels. They got back to me with a quote of $325-$345 for the services. Because this is my first time doing this type of service on my X3 I wanted to see what everyone thinks if that sounds like a reasonable price. it sounds a bit expensive to me but I am thinking if it that much because of the sports package sizes. I dont mind paying little bit more for a service well performed with good quality and warranty.

I have used this shop for my maintenance services before and they really did a great and quality job. They service many exotic and import cars so they came highly recomended.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
128 Posts
FWIW

4 Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus mounted and balanced, lifetime rotation,etc, $1000. last week.

I started to use Tire Rack and the local installer said that he would rather see me go to a local Michelin dealer and loose the install than see me use Tire Rack. His argument was that if there is an issue with the tire Tire Rack will require a return of the tire to assess the issue, leaving you screwed. So I went local.... but I did not want the DWS, I doubt I could find those local.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Yes, rims above 18" and lower profile tires can add to the mounting and balancing cost.

Of that $325 - $345 I'd say that is $120 for the install and balance and $200 + for the 4-wheel alignment.

Unless old tires show irregular wear, or curbing scuffs, why not just go with the install and balance?

Some tire pros. recommend a wheel alignment check whenever tires are replaced, but if there is no adjustment needed, that's a costly exercise.

If you need an alignment, you need an alignment - it doesn't have to coincide with fitting new tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.