BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im looking to get nav in my 97 740il but i was was wondering how much it would cost and where to buy everything from. Is there an OEM nav made for it? It didnt come stock with the little 4:3 nav screen, so its just the radio and all.

any help?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes, there's an OEM solution but... if you have no components already then it will be an expensive and time-consuming job. I'd seriously consider an after-market unit in your shoes.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
You can retrofit OEM NAV. It's over $4000 if you want new parts, still looking at $2000-$3000 if you start hunting on e-bay and salvage yards.

There are plenty of posts on this, and several people who have taken on the project. Search for "virgin NAV installation" or "NAV retrofit" on this or the E39 board for more information.

Personally, I would buy a car with factory NAV and upgrade it to an MKIV and 16:9 screen (easy plug'n play upgrades) or buy an aftermarket NAV. Going OEM for the sake of it, unless you really have your heart set on it, is an expensive modification. The older MKIIs are pretty slow, and the MKIII and MKIVs are okay, but are starting to be seen as old technology (maybe even called "inferior" by some) compared to a new Lexus or Toyota NAV system...

Link: 1995 E38 Retrofit

Uh, here is an E39 example:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well an aftermarket Double Din player would be great but then i have to get somebody to make a custom kit for it to sit in the dash

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
I've seen one double din pic, but it's kinda odd looking...

Aftermarket single with screen:

(photos from 'farhod')

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the guy with the flip out screen, is that computer just like the one i have where you would still need to spend $4k to install everything or is that a plug and play type deal?

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
I don't have any knowledge on that, my set up is stock with the ice>Link iPod add on... but I bet you can get some information if you search and ask here. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was looking at a 740i today with the little NAV screen and I'd love to get the big boy screen. Correct me if I'm wrong but it this one plug and play for my soon to be ride?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes and no. In principle it is plug-and-play but you may need to burn a couple of CDs with different OS versions, so that you can downgrade/upgrade to recover full use of all the buttons on the 16:9 screen (some operations are slightly different on the 16:9 screen compared to 4:3 screen).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts