Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a friend who just ordered an E46 last week(end of August). He went into the dealers last week, gave them the specs, etc etc. Today, my friend told me that his car will arrive "early october, maybe late september." Now if im counting right (which sometimes i have problems with) that gives it only a month for the order to be put in, car built, painted, and shipped. I told my friend mine took 2.5 months, and i personally i thought anything around that was fast.

It will be a 2003. Can someone get an E46 in just a month? :dunno: Or is there some sort of miscommunication b/w my friend and the dealer, who BTW is my dealer, and i know they know their stuff...
(CD-55, geotopaz: how long is your wait?)

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Must be one the dealer had already ordered. Hard to believe it could get through all the hoops and get here...how long are they on the water alone?

T

·
0 Posts
in_d_haus said:
Must be one the dealer had already ordered. Hard to believe it could get through all the hoops and get here...how long are they on the water alone?
Yeah. I'd have to assume they found a match among the cars ordered for inventory.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what i thought about "plucking" one of the pipeline, but i thought the plants closed for the month of August?
:dunno:

·
10,856 Posts
My car was status 112 when I ordered it. They TOTALLY changed the options (for one thing, it was RWD to begin with), and had it too me in just almost exactly four weeks, as I recall.

T

·
0 Posts
///Mathew said:
Thats what i thought about "plucking" one of the pipeline, but i thought the plants closed for the month of August?
:dunno:
They haven't closed for the month of August in MANY MANY years. Too much demand.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Mine was in the pipelined, changed to my specs, and in my hands in 5 weeks and two days. I think you just get lucky sometimes. Wait. 5 weeks and two days until it hit shore. Two more days until the dealer received it and had it ready. So almost 6 weeks. Still, it was pretty quick.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
It really depends. Say, if the dealer he/she's ordering from has a production slot for first week of September. Your friend walked in on the last day that the car's ATTRIBUTES can still be altered in the system (that's what, up to a week before it actually goes into production?).

In all the best case scenarios, the car would be produced and ready to ship by this Friday. If the shipping schedule falls on your friend's favor, a ship leaves next Monday and the car BARELY makes it on the boat. The last cars on the boat is usually processed first at the VPC and it's a strong tail wind into port...Say 4 weeks shipping, the VPC gets it processed within a day, shipped to dealership in 2 days...

You're still looking at middle of the month in October. At the earliest.

I'll have to agree with everyone else...The dealership must have spotted a car equipped SIMILAR to what he/she ordered. Make sure your friend get a vehicle inventory report though, and make sure ALL the options match. Because they may say, oh, sure, we'll have your car custom ordered to arrive HERE at the end of September, but all their doing is locating a car with all his/her options and maybe plus or minus a few dealership favorite money makers like Leather or Premium Package which he/she may not want. :dunno:

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The HACK said:

I'll have to agree with everyone else...The dealership must have spotted a car equipped SIMILAR to what he/she ordered. Make sure your friend get a vehicle inventory report though, and make sure ALL the options match. Because they may say, oh, sure, we'll have your car custom ordered to arrive HERE at the end of September, but all their doing is locating a car with all his/her options and maybe plus or minus a few dealership favorite money makers like Leather or Premium Package which he/she may not want. :dunno:
Oh wow, never even thought of this. Ill have to tell him. Thanks

·
Realtor/Mortgage Broker
185 Posts
I had my car in 5 weeks and it was not conveniently on its way to the dealer. My production # was originally for a white/ sand, PP, step and Bi-X. When I "ordered" my 325i last year I received a dealer exchange and that was four weeks.

·
Shiftin
404 Posts
order

I ordered my 330 on August 13th. I was told by the dealer that same day that I had a week 37 car and that it will be delivered mid october (14,15,16..) When I called BMWNA last week they said my car will be completed on Sept 13. When I ordered my 325, they did not start prod. until sept because the plant closes down every August for recalibration and maintenance. My recent dealer said the same in regards to BMW taking August off. They start production in Sept.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts