BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering since the price is lower for ED, and the resale value is high.
Would you say I can actually drive the car for free for a couple of years?
:dunno:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry, but nope.

Let's hypothetically look at a base 335 sedan USA stickered at $40K: ED will save you about 7% on the base cost (zip on any options), and let's call that $3 grand in round numbers. You, of course, have to go get it in Munich at a minimum cost of about a grand, so you're $2,000 ahead so far.

Using BMWFS residuals as an indication of future wholesale value, you're looking at 30% depreciation over 2 years/30K miles, or 40% over 3 years/45K miles. That's going to cost you $12 - $16 grand.

So, your net cost would be in the $10 - $14,000 range. You could close that up by a few thousand with lower mileage, using frequent flier miles, or by selling the car privately, but there's no way you'll come out anywhere near whole.

Subsidize an awesome vacation via ED . . . that's the benefit.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
I bought my daughter a honda civic coupe in 2004 for a little over 13G. I will be selling it in a couple of months and expect 10500 - 11, That is cheap. The 5? no.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
you can come pretty close if you live in a state where there is no sales tax. I was offered more (found buyer through craigslist - so private party) than what I paid for the 335i coupe BEFORE taxes (8.25%). Infact I would have gained $2k which would have covered my euro expenses.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I bought my daughter a honda civic coupe in 2004 for a little over 13G. I will be selling it in a couple of months and expect 10500 - 11, That is cheap. The 5? no.
Civic has one of the best re-sale value

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I think the key here is it won't be for free,but depending on the model,you can do it once a year.The first year is the greatest depreciation,but most of the time you're buying under dealer cost.If it costs you 4-5 K to use that 550 for a year is that too much ?You can contact me for details anytime.

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
I was wondering since the price is lower for ED, and the resale value is high.
Would you say I can actually drive the car for free for a couple of years?
:dunno:
Where is the logic??? Putting the travel expenses aside, consider selling the car immediately upon redelivery, it still is not free unless there are idiots falling on your laps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can I buy the car in Florida and have the car ED to Los Angeles? That will save me a lot of money.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Can I buy the car in Florida and have the car ED to Los Angeles? That will save me a lot of money.
How will this save you a lot of money?
You can buy the car for ED from any dealer in the US. You may end up paying transport fees though. Check with any of the sponsoring dealers on this site (Delon BMW comes to mind)

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
You cannot. You can only take European Delivery in Munich. You can't take European Delivery in Los Angeles.

Buying a car in Florida and having it delivered in Los Angeles is US Delivery.

·
Don't be a left lane hog
3,189 Posts
This thread is working on its way up to be one of the top 10 dumbest ED Threads:p
Then I must contribute. :p

You cannot. You can only take European Delivery in Munich. You can't take European Delivery in Los Angeles.
Chris, maybe the question was not properly phrased. I think OP is asking whether he can get the ED deal from a Florida dealer, and final redelivery in LA. If that is the question, yes you can buy from any dealer in the US, but your car will be redelivered to that dealer after you pickup the car in Munich. You can arrange to get the car in LA but it will cost extra. As to "it will save me a lot of money", I don't get that, unless you have incriminating pictures of the dealer and you're not saying.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Or have it redelivered up the road at the PCD.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
you can come pretty close if you live in a state where there is no sales tax. I was offered more (found buyer through craigslist - so private party) than what I paid for the 335i coupe BEFORE taxes (8.25%). Infact I would have gained $2k which would have covered my euro expenses.
I too am not one to shy away from posting on what could, with dedication, become the dumbest ED post here... :thumbup:

I agree with you am_ver, but in this scenario you would need to sell the car soon after re-delivery in the US, when its value is at its highest. The OP poster was asking about 1-2 years later - which I just don't think is possible.

Unless of course, you ED the highly desirable BMW supercar which is instantly worth $20k more than list price. Oh wait, BMW doesn't have a supercar...

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts

Does he mean courtesy delivery? But that costs $500 or $700?

I have no idea what he is thinking.

And may be he thinks all LA dealers rip people off and FL dealers do charity work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Opps did I say Florida? I mean any low tax states like Oregon.
Actually, I did some more research and it's not really possible (legally) to save on tax unless you have another house in Oregon. So I guess I answered my own question.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Opps did I say Florida? I mean any low tax states like Oregon.
Actually, I did some more research and it's not really possible (legally) to save on tax unless you have another house in Oregon. So I guess I answered my own question.
Not sure what you mean by "Low" and you do have alot of mis-informations

1) Oregon have no state sales/use tax.

2) We have HIGH property tax and income tax rate.

3) It is possible "legally" to work around the California Use tax exemption rule. Its a question of how much hassle you want to put up with to achive that.

4) The state of Oregon does not require one to own a house in order to buy a car and register it here. Not sure where you get that impression. :eeps: One must be reside in, or domiciled in Oregon.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "Low" and you do have alot of mis-informations

1) Oregon have no state sales/use tax.

2) We have HIGH property tax and income tax rate.

3) It is possible "legally" to work around the California Use tax exemption rule. Its a question of how much hassle you want to put up with to achive that.

4) The state of Oregon does not require one to own a house in order to buy a car and register it here. Not sure where you get that impression. :eeps: One must be reside in, or domiciled in Oregon.
DUH! :dunno: Why didn't we think of this before. We all stay at Bee's house, save on Calif. sales tax, and Bee is the only one with the "hassle".

1 - 20 of 34 Posts