BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed a shift yesterday, that is I though I was in 4th gear when I was in fact in neutral. The engine made quite a roar as it reved rapidly towards 6.500 RPM.

I instantly let go of the throttle when I heard the noise, but I may have reved the engine high a couple of seconds (in neutral without load).

Any chance of damage from this single incident? - the engine was warm and I well past break-in.

JSE

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
In that condition, the revlimiter will kick in before it can do any damage. When damage can occur is if putting it in too low a gear causes it to mechanically over-rev, something the rev-limiter is powerless against. I almost did this once but was letting the clutch back out slowly enough to notice and corrected it before it got past 6000.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
A similar incident happened to me once. I was on my way home early morning and was very sleepy, and I accidentally shifted to 2nd when I was supposed to shift to 4th:thumbdwn: . This was around 64-66 mph, and the cutoff for 2nd is at 65mph, and the revs jumped past redline. Scared me quite a bit, but no damage done at all. I wouldn't worry about it, these cars are made to handle that kind of abuse:D (not everyday though).

·
10,856 Posts
I wouldn't worry about anything under 7000RPMs. After all, aftermarket tuners routinely reset the limiter to abotu 7K.

Revving without a load is meaningless. It's not going to do anything, with the possible exception of overheating your engine when you're sitting still. Or poisoning you with exhaust fumes under the same circumstances. :p

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
jse said:
I missed a shift yesterday, that is I though I was in 4th gear when I was in fact in neutral. The engine made quite a roar as it reved rapidly towards 6.500 RPM.

JSE
I rev mine up there every day. When I want to go fast... I run the RPMs in each gear near the fuel cut off point.

·
10,856 Posts
JPinTO said:
Nope! Single blip to redline won't do anything.
What do you mean single? I blip mine to redline every day grabbing first gear going into sharp turns. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys - I feel better now.

Thanks. I got a bit worried, as I was told by someone that reving the engine without load can be a very bad thing.

I seldom stress the car, as it's only a 320Ci (2.2l). I would really like to have the 2.5l (or even better, the 3.0l), but those are just too expensive here in Denmark (Scandinavia).

Br.

JSE :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts