BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching for the answer to a question I had about the current M3 and found this link- http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/20770.htm

While mostly the same stuff we've read in countless places, one paragraph caught my eye...

"A new-generation 3, codenamed "E90", is on track for around 2006, but the current "E46" platform should sire a few more offshoots before then. The most definite is the X3, a kind of junior X5 sport-utility with a similar all-wheel-drive system, but derived from the normal 3-Series wagon and built in Germany, not the U.S. Look for it as a 2003 entry. Just released for Europe is a stripped-down M3 coupe called M3 CSL, with some 380 horsepower, a stiff price, and limited availability. It's aimed at occasional weekend track racers. An M3 wagon with the regular M3 coupe powertrain is also being mooted, but, like the CSL, can't be confirmed yet for U.S. sale."

AN M3 WAGON!!!!

Confirm this puppy and I might have to get in line. Oh, and also start regularly saying, "I told you so..."

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Don't even make me start thinking about what I'm gonna have to do to get me one of those...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Kaz said:
Don't even make me start thinking about what I'm gonna have to do to get me one of those...
I still prefer THIS pic.

And I'd even be tempted to get it in RED.

EDIT- And Kaz, unfortunately the pics of it in silver are now in a sense outdated as it would likely get the headlights from the 2002+ sedans/wagons.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Problem with the red car is that the lines are all WRONG. Both are photoshop jobs but the red one really bothers me. Front door is a cut-down coupe one with no windowframes, no extra quarterwindow in the rear door, wrong rear door cutline, , wrong rear side window (modded coupe one? look at the pop-out attachment), coupe trunklid with a fake non-opening hatch pasted in.

The only problem I see on the white one is the bumper reflectors and possibly that it has Brilliantline window trim instead of Shadowline, but then I'm being nitpicky. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bmw325xi said:
Why do you guys like wagons? no flame intended, just curious.
Hell yeah. They're cool even if you don't need the space. But if you do, they are infinitely cooler than lemming-mobiles (aka SUVs).

But I have always loved the idea of a very very fast wagon. It just kind of runs counter to what people expect. Wagons like the S4 Avant or 9-5 Aero wagon hold a strong appeal to me, regardless of their other traits.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kaz said:
Problem with the red car is that the lines are all WRONG. Both are photoshop jobs but the red one really bothers me. Front door is a cut-down coupe one with no windowframes, no extra quarterwindow in the rear door, wrong rear door cutline, , wrong rear side window (modded coupe one? look at the pop-out attachment), coupe trunklid with a fake non-opening hatch pasted in.

The only problem I see on the white one is the bumper reflectors and possibly that it has Brilliantline window trim instead of Shadowline, but then I'm being nitpicky. :D
Good technical points. I'll be honest and admit I hadn't noticed those items. I was more struck by the overall look of the red wagon posed like that.

Now if we can take the white/silver one and graft on the 2002+ headlights...

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
TD said:

Now if we can take the white/silver one and graft on the 2002+ headlights...
Oh crap, I forgot about the crappy lights...

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
No, I forgot that IF it happens (and I still think it won't), it would get the 02+ lights, which I REALLY dislike (hence 'crappy').

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Even if it were made, I would seriously doubt that it would make it to the US. The E34 M5 wagon never did, and that would have more appeal, I would think :dunno:

You could aways get a gray market model though :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nate328Ci said:
Even if it were made, I would seriously doubt that it would make it to the US. The E34 M5 wagon never did, and that would have more appeal, I would think :dunno:

You could aways get a gray market model though :D
Ah... but you're forgetting something...

The E36 M3/4 sold very well in the US. In the two years it was available, it outsold the M3/2 by a good margin. That implies taht there is clearly a market here for a practical sports car. Many people who cannot get the coupe and would prefer the sedan would likely still buy the wagon. And all the wagon loonies would snap them up.

And the SUV backlash is building. What better to haul the kids around in once SUVs become passe? Not that I'd want one to appeal to these people, but I do think these wagons will be fashionable very soon.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
TD said:

Ah... but you're forgetting something...

The E36 M3/4 sold very well in the US. In the two years it was available, it outsold the M3/2 by a good margin. That implies taht there is clearly a market here for a practical sports car. Many people who cannot get the coupe and would prefer the sedan would likely still buy the wagon. And all the wagon loonies would snap them up.

And the SUV backlash is building. What better to haul the kids around in once SUVs become passe? Not that I'd want one to appeal to these people, but I do think these wagons will be fashionable very soon.
I wasn't referring to the 4 door, I think a 4 door M3 would sell very well, but I'm not so sure about the wagon....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nate328Ci said:

I wasn't referring to the 4 door, I think a 4 door M3 would sell very well, but I'm not so sure about the wagon....
I'm referring to a sort of "runner-up" appeal for those who would have bought sedans and who cannot get by with only two doors.

I still think it would sell well enough to justify certification. Plus, I want one.

Ever since I read this earlier today, I've been pondering how to pull it off in 2 years or so when it shows up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
JPinTO said:
I suspect that BMW will magically come up with a M3/4 when the next gen S4 comes out. Until then, they can snooze.
So, would you rather take the sedan or the wagon?

EDIT- Holy shit... Something just ocured to me based on your S4 reference. The new A4 will be available as a coupe as well. That *could* mean a 2-door S4 this next gen. So BMW almost has to go after the high performance sedan/wagon category (which the previous S4 had a lock on since '99 after the E36 M3/4 stopped production). Hmmm....

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
TD said:

I'm referring to a sort of "runner-up" appeal for those who would have bought sedans and who cannot get by with only two doors.

I still think it would sell well enough to justify certification. Plus, I want one.

Ever since I read this earlier today, I've been pondering how to pull it off in 2 years or so when it shows up.
I would think a sedan would come first, and MAYBE a wagon. BMW sells the 540iT, those only sell, what, 700 a year?

how about an M3T LTW? :angel:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts