Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
argghh, i'll be bringing in my car for the weatherstripping problem for the 4th time now. those who have the problem resolved, what did the dealer do to fix it. for the last fix which only lasted a few door closes, urathane (glue?) was used but that didn't work. :banghead: is there a new part/weatherstripping? i just getting really tired of having to press in the weatherstripping each time i get into the car! :mad:

·
Here since day one
7,180 Posts
I had mine done for the 3rd time at least 6-8 months ago and it's the first time it works well!!

What they did was move the inside of the door forward because this rubs against the seal which causes the problem, they also replace the seal with a redesigned one.

My door used to be hard to close, now it is easy and the current seal shows no signs of wear.

·
Here since day one
7,180 Posts
johnlew said:

But is it sealing? j/k
lol, funny that you ask that . . . the answer is 'no' but I always wear my seatbelt which helps me stay in the car when making right turns and my drivers door flys open . . .

·
Ölmeßstabmeister
762 Posts
Had mine replaced for the 1st time in late May (after 6+ months of tape holding the original torn one waiting for the part to come in).

Now it looks like I need to go in again and have them move the inside of the door up a bit -- its showing signs of rubbing and the door doesn't close fully if a relatively light push is given -- it sorta bounces off the seal instead of latching...

I'll see how it goes and probably ask them to look at it when I get an oil service in about 2-3 months. Probably be torn by then!

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what really bugs me is that i had this problem back in summer 2000 and knew that it was the weatherstripping rubbing that was causing my door not to close properly. now i'm sure that bmw has many reports of this knows that this is a problem but they don't have a new part or reliable fix for it! :mad: if they don't have one soon before my warranty is over and i'm having to pay for these weatherstrippings out of my own pocket then i'm going to be really really mad :mad:

·
Here since day one
7,180 Posts
HW said:
what really bugs me is that i had this problem back in summer 2000 and knew that it was the weatherstripping rubbing that was causing my door not to close properly. now i'm sure that bmw has many reports of this knows that this is a problem but they don't have a new part or reliable fix for it! :mad: if they don't have one soon before my warranty is over and i'm having to pay for these weatherstrippings out of my own pocket then i'm going to be really really mad :mad:
HW . . . bro didn't you read my message

THEY HAVE A FIX !!!!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alan: i brought those part numbers to them and they told me that they were the same as the old :confused:

·
Here since day one
7,180 Posts
HW said:
alan: i brought those part numbers to them and they told me that they were the same as the old :confused:
did they move the inside of your door forward ?

I am sure that's what really fixes the problem

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
take the car somewhere else..the old way was nasty and stupid..I had my drivers side replaced about 6 months ago when the fix was released. I had put off the passenger side.. I had an appointment for today, they are fixing the passenger side now.... my drivers side still perfect, no wear and shuts perfect See my dealer must know whats going on and know the actual fix. I believe some dealers don't actually know the fix.... that would piss me off too!

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep, moving the panel forward was fix #2 which worked for a bit but the problem is that the weatherstrip would not stay in place. the pressure from the door pressing on it would push the weatherstrip out and bit.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
HW said:
yep, moving the panel forward was fix #2 which worked for a bit but the problem is that the weatherstrip would not stay in place. the pressure from the door pressing on it would push the weatherstrip out and bit.
Mine was NOT fixed by moving the panels on the door..the TSB for the fix if this super duper glue with the NEW rubber design...Mine was fixed by a BMW field tech...this is the fix trust me.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i don't think using super glue was a fix that i was hoping for. i read/heard that super glue absorbs water. not exactly a good choice for a water seal.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
HW said:
i don't think using super glue was a fix that i was hoping for. i read/heard that super glue absorbs water. not exactly a good choice for a water seal.
I've never heard of them using super glue...but guess each dealer does there own thing, no matter what the TSB is.I wish you luck..:thumbup: PS....I said super duper glue....but I did not mean they actually used "super glue"...good luck tho!

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Arggghhhh!

After fix #4 the weatherstripping is still coming loose. They had another attempt of glueing it w/ black urethane. This is just not working! :banghead: :mad:

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Re: Arggghhhh!

HW said:
After fix #4 the weatherstripping is still coming loose. They had another attempt of glueing it w/ black urethane. This is just not working! :banghead: :mad:
They're supposed to use (can't remember the exact name) but the TSB fix was a cement type glue, similar to what they use to bond the windshield. I was with the BMW tech rep in person, he showed me the glue and I also seen it in action...My drivers side has been there almost a year and has not budged. Man that shi t is like concrete...

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CCs: thanks for the offer but not sure when i'd be visiting NC. but thanks again for info. they said that they research what glue to use. maybe i can save them some time and point to them to find the appropriate tsb listing windshield glue though my preference would be not to use glue of some sort. :(

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, going to call up the dealer for fix #5 within the last month and a half. :mad: :banghead:

my 2nd weatherstripping is torn again. even after i make an effort each time to push the trim in each time i close the door!!! :mad: i can't believe how fragile this 2nd one was.

now the only option to this is gluing in a new one but this is permanent meaning that the weatherstripping will be destroyed/damaged whenever it has to be removed. now, should for any reason the weatherstripping needs to be removed to get at something else and my warranty is out, i'll be screwed for another weatherstripping and labour charge! :mad: anyone have theirs fixed that did not require gluing or used something that was not as permanent as gluing?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts