BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had both window regulators in my 2003 325Ci replaced at the dealer. On the highway driving back, it sounded like the window was slightly open - I could hear the very sharp hiss of the wind rushing past the car.

Experimenting, I discovered that the lowest 1.5 inches of the rubber door seal/gasket are no longer properly sealing against the door: there's a small gap between the glass and rubber that air, sound, and water can pass through (I noticed the latter this afternoon, when washing the car). If I push on the gasket in that location, the wind noise disappears, so I'm pretty sure it's the problem.

The passenger side doesn't seem to have any issues.

I'm also pretty sure that this wasn't a problem before the window regulator was replaced. Is it possible the dealer did not properly align the window when reinstalling it, or something? Is this something I can fix myself, or should I take it back to them?

If that's not the problem, what is?

Incidentally, I also noticed today that the inner door seal (the felty material) is starting to come loose along essentially the entire length of the window (as seems to happen to every E46 coupe) - could this be related?

See the attached diagram for more information.

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm, looking at that photo, it seems like the window is now sitting one or two millimeters forward of where it used to be (look at where the rubber was worn smooth).

The Bentley manual describes the process of adjusting the window position - perhaps I'll try that.

Thoughts?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,318 Posts
This appears to be a glass adjustment problem ..... if you can get the glass to align with the old wear pattern you should be OK. (Indicative of sloppy QC at the dealer)

Regards,
Bob

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
Avalys said:
Is it possible the dealer did not properly align the window when reinstalling it, or something?
Yup! Has happened to me a number of times... I have also had the situation where my glass is leaning out too far, and if I drive down the road at 70Mph, roll the window down, and roll it back up again, the glass ends up on the outside of the chrome strip! :yikes: Also, if you go through a high pressure car wash right now, water will come in that window rubber gap... That's how I usually test whether mine was done right or not... Take it back and ask them to do it correctly... :thumbup:

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the dealer insisted that the window regulator installation would not affect the window alignment, and declined to fix this for me.

So, I got out my Bentley manual, and went through the alignment process. The "pretension", or inward tilt of the wind (your problem, Salvator) was off, but this didn't fix the problem with the seal.

I think the problem might be that the entire door is not aligned properly: the rear of the door is not exactly flush with the rear quarterpanel, and the Bentley manual says that the tolerance for that alignment is 0, so maybe that's the problem. It would certainly explain it - if the door closed a little more, the window would push against the seal a little more, and fix it.

However, the passenger side door is even more unaligned, and has no seal problem. Plus, I don't have the write Torx bit to adjust the door striker.

So, as an intermediate solution, I placed a strip of black electrical tape over the troublesome area on the door seal, to add another fraction of a millimeter. Problem solved.

I'm rather annoyed, though, because I managed to scratch up the door panel while removing the trim to adjust the window - I didn't know fingernails scratched paint so bad! :mad:

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
avalys said:
Well, the dealer insisted that the window regulator installation would not affect the window alignment, and declined to fix this for me.
Wow, I'm glad I have my dealer and not yours... :yikes: I brought mine back multiple times for this issue... each time they would fix it one way, it would be wrong another way... The final fix was to replace the window regulator again... either the new one was defective out of the box, or was tweaked during install... Anyway, new regulator seemed to solve the problem... for the moment... :eeps:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.