BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally had a chance to clean the wagon last night, so this morning I stopped by one of my favorite golf course parking lots on the way to work to snap a couple of pics.:)

I wanted to go down the access road to get a full fairway view behind my car but the place was packed for an outing:( If you look closely in the one shot you'll see the lucky ones on the driving range. Sure wish I could have stayed and played;)

Call it what you want but this hi-rise, slow, fat pig BMW sure is sharp looking if you ask me:bigpimp:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
PM 325xiT said:
Call it what you want but this hi-rise, slow, fat pig BMW sure is sharp looking if you ask me:bigpimp:
looks nice. Why didn't you put the car in the sunlight?

·
5,820 Posts
Looks great! Careful about shooting subjects with a brighter light behind the subject than than the subject itself. Subject will appear dark. Or slow down the speed or open the aperture wider.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: Couple of clean car pics

looks nice. Why didn't you put the car in the sunlight?
Because a) this was the only empty area of the parking lot b) I am a novice photographer (check your PM to see what I mean)

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
johnlew said:
Looks great! Careful about shooting subjects with a brighter light behind the subject than than the subject itself. Subject will appear dark. Or slow down the speed or open the aperture wider.
I guess I shouldn't have cheaped out on the camera purchase:banghead: :( Unfortunately I do not have a lot of manual adjustments.

I tried to take a sunset photo with the car in the foreground last night using the "twilight" setting and it came out all fuzzy:confused: I think it has something to do with keeping the camera very still since it takes longer to capture the shot:dunno:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Couple of clean car pics

johnlew said:

Usually sunlight doesn't make for great pics. Sunrise or set with a lit sky is great or overcast sky.
Usually, yeah...but with how long the shadows are in those pics and how warm the light appears (after who knows what the auto whitebalance did) it looks like this is a place where direct sunlight would have played nicely with the car's finish. In the shadows here, it's taking on a blue cast (again, after who knows what the auto whitebalance did) that really dulls the finish's luster.

MY $.02 anyway.

·
5,820 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

I guess I shouldn't have cheaped out on the camera purchase:banghead: :( Unfortunately I do not have a lot of manual adjustments.

I tried to take a sunset photo with the car in the foreground last night using the "twilight" setting and it came out all fuzzy:confused: I think it has something to do with keeping the camera very still since it takes longer to capture the shot:dunno:

Don't blame the camera. Generally, try to keep the light intensity of the car and background of the picture (field) of similar intensity. For reflection shots, a shadowed subject with a bright subject for reflection works best.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Couple of clean car pics

Usually, yeah...but with how long the shadows are in those pics and how warm the light appears (after who knows what the auto whitebalance did) it looks like this is a place where direct sunlight would have played nicely with the car's finish. In the shadows here, it's taking on a blue cast (again, after who knows what the auto whitebalance did) that really dulls the finish's luster.

MY $.02 anyway.
Good point about the white balance. I'll go take some direct lighting shots at break and add them to this thread. The finish is really looking good:bigpimp:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
johnlew said:

Don't blame the camera. Generally, try to keep the light intensity of the car and background of the picture (field) of similar intensity. For reflection shots, a shadowed subject with a bright subject for reflection works best.
Thanks for the pointer:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

Can you change it to spot or center-weighted metering? That would fix the dark foreground, bright background issue by metering the light only on the center (dark) subject.

·
5,820 Posts
alee said:

Can you change it to spot or center-weighted metering? That would fix the dark foreground, bright background issue by metering the light only on the center (dark) subject.
This is true. You do run the risk of the background become washed out, or even worse, white. He could try forcing a flash in this type of setting. In photoediting programs a gamma adjustment will let you achieve similar results.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

If you can tell how long the shutter is open by feel or sound, you probably won't be able to get a sharp handheld shot. A tripod or just placing the camera on the ground or other steady fixture will help a lot. If the camera has a timed release even better (because just pushing the button can introduce vibration...witha timer, you push, let go, and then however many seconds later, the shutter will do its thing).

Other than that, john's absolutely right about not blaming the camera. White balance can do screwy things to the color, but doesn't generally affect the exposure or recorded image. And if, like Alee pointed out, center or spot metering will help too, if the camrea has one or both modes.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rufus330Ci said:
Phil why didn't you call me for the shoot :bawling: :bawling:

I'm not good enough for you wagon owners :D
Just a quick stop on the way to work.:)

I'm still waiting for your detail session so you can snap some pics for me:thumbup:

·
Registered
679 Posts
The wax seems to be holding up pretty well from what I can tell on Saturdays wash :thumbup: How long do you normally wait for the first wax 3 months? 6 months? I was weekly sometimes 10 days...

I'll be glad to take thoses shots though, and you know I could always use some detail tips. :thumbup:

BTW --- Suppose to be a show Sept 28th up in Lancaster, Amish Country Cruises or something 200+ cars, let me know if your interested. I already signed up $20 (includes lunch). I'll probably be going 9-2 or so because of work at 3........

TTYL Phil --- Justin

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rufus330Ci said:
The wax seems to be holding up pretty well from what I can tell on Saturdays wash :thumbup: How long do you normally wait for the first wax 3 months? 6 months? I was weekly sometimes 10 days...

I'll be glad to take thoses shots though, and you know I could always use some detail tips. :thumbup:

BTW --- Suppose to be a show Sept 28th up in Lancaster, Amish Country Cruises or something 200+ cars, let me know if your interested. I already signed up $20 (includes lunch). I'll probably be going 9-2 or so because of work at 3........

TTYL Phil --- Justin
You should definately get a good fresh coat of wax on your car soon. Before the autumn weather sets in. I will be glad to come up and help with stripping your wax and showing you what I know. I need to do a new coat on mine as well so we could do a session. Since I like him, I'll even help Scott out with his *ahem* American made car:D

If you have any details on the 9/28 event please post them on the general board. I'm aware of a few other locals who might be interested:thumbup:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Clem said:
Nice pics Mr. M

The car looks like it's missing something don't you think? :dunno: :dunno: :D :D
You mean something like this...................................:dunno:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts