BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 330CiC yesterday and on the pre-test drive "inspection" my wife noticed that above each rear window (on the edge of the roofline) the roof appears to be "rubbed" or "nappy"
The best description would be (other than a picture) like that appearance you get on a sweater on the elbows after you have worn it for a while.

The salesman blew it off (and managed to really piss my wife off):
Him: "Have you ever seen a new roof like this?"
Wife: "Of course not"
Him : "I didn't think so."
[ Hmmm, not to good for the BMWNA survey ]

The service manager took a look and couldn't figure out what had caused it. Didn't think any of the fibers were broken, and therefore we didn't need a new roof. He was nice enough to give us the Convertible shampoo for free and tell us if there were any problems to come back right away.

Salesman (backpeddling at this point after I reminded him that I knew how important the BMWNA survey was) called a local owner of a 3 week old CiC and offered her a free tank of gas to dop buy so we could see the top of her car. She had the same "rubbing" - but only on one side.

The only thing we can figure out is that it occured at some time during shipping due to pressure of a tie down strap or something. This doesn't make sense if you follow the pics someone had posted re: shipping and the tie-downs are on the frame and the 'verts go in a bag.

Any suggestions or ideas?
:dunno:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no digital camera

I'll try to borrow a digital camera and post a pic.
Have you noticed any similar pattern on your top?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't used the shampoo

Haven't tried the cleaner yet (didn't get out of the dealership until 6pm).

Johnlew - the area is just above the edge where the seam rolls from the rubber trim/ rain gutter to just the folded seam in the flat part of the fabric. It feels like there is support for the roof immediately behind this portion.

I'm beginning to think it's nothing - just hate paying more than $10.00 for something and not have it be perfect.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about.

Mine gets these two little "shiny" (might call them nappy) marks right above the rear windows when I fold the top down and leave it there all day. They run front to back, and are about two inches wide by three long. It's kind of like, right in that one spot, there's a brace or something pressing on the canvas.

Usually goes away after about a day of the top being up and stretched again. Or when it gets wet.

If that sounds about the same, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sorry no digi-cam otherwise I'd snap a pic.

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
I have faint traces of that on both sides of my top as well.

My only comment is if that is the worst thing that ever befalls the car we all should consider ourselves very lucky.

Absolutely nothing to worry about in my opinion.

Just drive and enjoy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Thank you everyone for helping with this issue!
I feel much better and I hope I can convince my wife that this is NOT a problem too.
This is the most I have ever spent on a car and I just want to make certain all is ok.

BTW: Along the lines of "stupid salesman comments" - here's another one:
"Maybe the problem is that you have a navy top. It might be different than the black ones."

Seeing all these pics I really need to get a digital cam.
Are you guys using a 3megapixel or a 5 to get those quality pics?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.