BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

CPO Elite - 5/75 warranty/maintenance - CA input, please

1290 11
We bought an X3 service loaner two years ago (April 2017 in-service date), and it was CPO Elite with the 5/75 warranty.
I bought the maintenance extension to match (5/75).

Is there an option to take the warranty and/or maintenance out to 6/100?
If so, is there a deadline to purchase said warranty/maintenance, either time or mileage from in-service date?

Thanks!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Not a dealer, but did warranty extension on my ex 2014 640i, the answer is at the end of four years from in original service date.That was the answer in 2017, but things change

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
My understanding is that extended warranty/maintenance needs to be purchased before current warranty/maintenance expires.

The exception is power train extended warranty, that can be purchased after new car warranty expires.
We bought an X3 service loaner two years ago (April 2017 in-service date), and it was CPO Elite with the 5/75 warranty.
I bought the maintenance extension to match (5/75).

Is there an option to take the warranty and/or maintenance out to 6/100?
If so, is there a deadline to purchase said warranty/maintenance, either time or mileage from in-service date?

Thanks!
pretty sure it is before the cpo elite expires....

fwiw:

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/...ts/BMW_Extended_Service_Contract_Brochure.pdf

id be interested to hear if you can buy a 7/100....or only the 7/unlimited now
The easiest way to find out per VIN is to ask trusted SA to read out key data, and get the page that lists all products(with BMW MSRPs) that are still available for that VIN.
id be interested to hear if you can buy a 7/100....or only the 7/unlimited now
agreed

that "msrp"... is it bmws? or is it a number loaded by the dealership? i see it oft repeated, but have not seen anyone really confirm those msrps are all the same at all dealerships....
The easiest way to find out per VIN is to ask trusted SA to read out key data, and get the page that lists all products(with BMW MSRPs) that are still available for that VIN.
The key data printout shows BMW MSRPs, as different printouts from different dealers show the same numbers. Do note the key reader fetches BMW database per VIN.

These days SAs are instructed to not give out that page, so finesse(aka being nice) will be helpful. :)

Before my car's new car warranty expires, those MSRP numbers were used to shop around for platinum 7 yrs/100k miles, and the best quote was $450 below MSRP(including SoCal dealers). The final decision was not to purchase though.
agreed

that "msrp"... is it bmws? or is it a number loaded by the dealership? i see it oft repeated, but have not seen anyone really confirm those msrps are all the same at all dealerships....
Thanks for the feedback.

When I purchased the maintenance extension, one of the contributing CAs on this forum gave me the MSRP number. My dealer was marking it up by about 15%.
I was okay with MSRP, and once I told my dealer that, it got done pretty quickly.

A lot of it depends on my wife's future driving needs. If she keeps up her current pace, I would probably get almost the full 25K miles of use out of an extension from 75K to 100K.
I remember you buying the maintenance extension. And me telling you it was a fools play. (Ever the diplomat...)

And posting 'come back and tell us how much it covered'

Did it turn out to cover anything more than an oil/filter change or two? Its been almost 2 years, rignt?

;)
It has been two years (exactly, this coming Monday.. lol) The car was a service loaner with five months and 4400 miles on the clock when we got it.
It now has around 37K miles. (2 yrs/5 months old) I'll guess I won't need to extend it again, as my wife retired from her second (part-time) career in May, and her monthly mileage needs are already dropping.

But, to answer your question, we are just now getting to the time/mileage when the original maintenance plan runs out. The proof in the pudding (to mix up a saying) starts now. We haven't needed anything extra, as of yet. I'll be sure to keep you updated though. She's only been re-retired for 4-5 months, so I'm not positive, but I'll guess we'll hit the 5 year in-service mark right at 75K miles, so I'll at least get the "full value" out of the time/mileage aspect.

Of course, with CPO Elite warranty for the same time period, it might be tough to split out actual maintenance, but I'll watch it. Of course, when it's covered, they don't give you the actual cost. I'll have to hit up my Service Advisor for that info, as it happens. I have no issues with reporting win or lose. Hopefully, my experience helps someone else.

Thanks!
I remember you buying the maintenance extension. And me telling you it was a fools play. (Ever the diplomat...)

And posting 'come back and tell us how much it covered'

Did it turn out to cover anything more than an oil/filter change or two? Its been almost 2 years, rignt?

;)
So now is right about the time one would make the decision to buy the maintenance plan....you'd know how close your are on brakes, etc.

Just for others facing such decisions.

:)
we are just now getting to the time/mileage when the original maintenance plan runs out.

!
My F30 is almost 7 years and 70k miles, and the rear pads have 4-5mm, the front 7-8mm, and indy tech said not to worry about them for at least 10k miles at rear, and 0-30k at front.

My driving style and routes probably can't extract any brake payout from extended maintenance plans. Also note that dealer service won't change rotors if above minimum thickness, unless the new pads start to squeak(only when coverage has not yet expired), so it is hard to judge.
So now is right about the time one would make the decision to buy the maintenance plan....you'd know how close your are on brakes, etc.

Just for others facing such decisions.

:)
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.