BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have had the 2012 E93 328 for close to four years now, and have put on about 38K Miles since getting it around 17K miles.

The CPO warranty is up in a two months, and it is decision time now.

This is my daily driver and has gone through most of the depreciation.

The car has been relatively trouble free so far. Apart from the regularly scheduled maintenance (brake line flush, oil change, filters etc.).
  • The Airbag recall done
  • The wheel electronics were replaced (was getting intermittent errors of TPMS disabled) under CPO
  • While doing the TPMS they also found an oil leak and replaced the Valve Cover Gasket.
  • Two years ago the roof was reconditioned to fix a water leak.
  • Switched to Bridgestone Driveguard Runflat tires to make the ride a bit softer

The car will be driven about 7-8K miles per year

1. Is there anything specific I should get checked out for fixing before the CPO warranty ends?
  2. What should I expect in the next 15-25K miles in terms of repairs and maintenance costs?
  3. I presume the 328 N51 engine does not suffer from the issues with the 335 engine?

· Registered
51 Posts
I picked my 08 328xi with 70000 miles. Excited to see how it goes knock on wood without the warranty. They extended the c p o warranties for five years, that is if you buy one from a dealer. Would you consider selling it and buying a c p o to avoid depreciation on a new one ?

· Registered
3,626 Posts
Not much likely to fail in the 38K to 60K interval.
  • At 38K miles I had a Passenger Occupancy seat sensor replaced under CPO
  • I had my Eccentric Shaft Sensor fail at 42K, and that was replaced under SULEV warranty (no need to pay $50 under CPO warranty)
  • At about 60K you might (or not) have water pump and/or thermostat go, about $1500 job. My car has 68K, but water pump is factory unit still.
  • I replaced my battery as proactive measure just last month, since it had not given me problems yet it was also the factory unit (7 years old).
  • At 58K my car needed a new coil; BMW NA authorized all 6 coils replaced at their cost, at the same time I had my spark plugs replaced (under extended Service policy)
  • Upon my last servuce visit, dealer advises I have an oil pan gasket leak that will need to be dealt with, but oil loss is scarcely noticeable now...only need for 1 qt added during prior year.
...car should be pretty trouble free until about 90K-100K, based upon personal experience with two prior BMWs owned since factory new (E36, E46)

· Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not much likely to fail in the 38K to 60K interval.
  • At 38K miles I had a Passenger Occupancy seat sensor replaced under CPO
  • I had my Eccentric Shaft Sensor fail at 42K, and that was replaced under SULEV warranty (no need to pay $50 under CPO warranty)
  • At about 60K you might (or not) have water pump and/or thermostat go, about $1500 job. My car has 68K, but water pump is factory unit still.
  • I replaced my battery as proactive measure just last month, since it had not given me problems yet it was also the factory unit (7 years old).
  • At 58K my car needed a new coil; BMW NA authorized all 6 coils replaced at their cost, at the same time I had my spark plugs replaced (under extended Service policy)
  • Upon my last servuce visit, dealer advises I have an oil pan gasket leak that will need to be dealt with, but oil loss is scarcely noticeable now...only need for 1 qt added during prior year.
...car should be pretty trouble free until about 90K-100K, based upon personal experience with two prior BMWs owned since factory new (E36, E46)
Thanks for sharing your experience. Actually we put on 38K miles after buying the car at 17K. So the car has 65K miles.

From what you shared, it should be good to go for another 20-30K Miles before significant issues pile up.

The SULEV warranty stuff is quite interesting. Is there any gasket or hose it does not cover?

· Registered
3,626 Posts
After your new car warranty and CPO are over, the SULEV covers about 18 explicit items to 100K miles. The only gasket covered is the Cylinder Head Cover gasket.
The SULEV emissions warranty says that if your car fails emissions tests, BMW will fix it so it will pass out to 150K miles, with no explicit parts listed as covered vs. not covered in those repairs.
You can get the BMW Service and Warranty book for your year, to see what parts covered out to 100K miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.