BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
warrantybynet.com??

Has anyone ever heard of/used these guys before? A buddy of mine picked up a CPO'd 2001 325i and he is looking to extend his warranty.

Any idea how their service is? How they compare to other, similar companies? :dunno:

TIA...

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,786 Posts
If your buddy got a CPO car, his warranty goes to 100K or 6 years. Most warranty companies will not write a policy for cars that have over 60K miles, or that last much longer than 100K miles.

A faint bell ring leads me to a 7 year 120K by one company, but even then, I wouldn't pay for the 1 year and 20K you'd gain over CPO.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,590 Posts
PropellerHead said:
If your buddy got a CPO car, his warranty goes to 100K or 6 years. Most warranty companies will not write a policy for cars that have over 60K miles, or that last much longer than 100K miles.

A faint bell ring leads me to a 7 year 120K by one company, but even then, I wouldn't pay for the 1 year and 20K you'd gain over CPO.
Good point! I concur...

Waste of $$ to augment CPO with a service contract...

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,590 Posts
I keep hearing rumors about how BMW will be offering their own
branded service contracts (a.k.a. "extended warranties")...

For a 2001, I'd hold out as long as possible to see what happens.

You have up until the point when there is both a minimum of 1 month,
and 1,000 miles remaining onthe factory 4/50 to qualify for one...

It might just pay to wait.

Once again, you cannot just bring your car to your dealer
and ask them to CPO it for you... A BMW service contract
will be the next best thing.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,786 Posts
You have up until the point when there is both a minimum of 1 month, and 1,000 miles remaining onthe factory 4/50 to qualify for one...
On newer cars, did BMW extend the factory 3/36 to 4/50 without buying the ~$450 upgrade?

It was still an upgrade on our 2002 330, but i saw what you'd written and seems like I saw something in this month's Roundel, too. Thought I'd clarify.

If your friend is within the 36k miles, I believe most dealers (perhaps Cutter?:D) will sell him the 1 year, 14k mile extension for around ~$450. Since it is an extension of the BMW new car warranty, it also includes oil changes and is bumper to bumper for things like door seals, radio problems, etc.

Even the earliest delivery of a 2001 would have been around Setember of 2000, so your extension would get you about 2 more depending on how close to 50k miles he already is and how much he drives it.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,590 Posts
PropellerHead said:

On newer cars, did BMW extend the factory 3/36 to 4/50 without buying the ~$450 upgrade?

It was still an upgrade on our 2002 330, but i saw what you'd written and seems like I saw something in this month's Roundel, too. Thought I'd clarify.

If your friend is within the 36k miles, I believe most dealers (perhaps Cutter?:D) will sell him the 1 year, 14k mile extension for around ~$450. Since it is an extension of the BMW new car warranty, it also includes oil changes and is bumper to bumper for things like door seals, radio problems, etc.

Even the earliest delivery of a 2001 would have been around Setember of 2000, so your extension would get you about 2 more depending on how close to 50k miles he already is and how much he drives it.
There are (2) entirely different discussions going on here.
What I am talking about is extended warranty coverage,
otherwise known as a service contract; MBI - Mechanical
Breakdown Insurance...

What PropellerHead is referring to is an extension of
the maintenance program...

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,786 Posts
onthe factory 4/50 to qualify for one...
So if I imply correctly, there is a 4/50 on the drivetrain, engine, big stuff on Bimmers? I had no idea. :thumbup:

So, out of the box, a new bimmer goes like this:

New Bimmer has bumper to bumper "maintenance warranty" for 3/36 that can be extended for ~$450. It includes the big stuff mentioned above being b to b and all.

Beyond that 3/36 maintenace warranty, there is a 4/50 drivetrain offered that you get whether you extend the maintenance or not.
----------
A used Bimmer could have a CPO warranty, while not an extension of the bumper to bumper, does cover most stuff for 6 years / 100K miles from original delivery date. I had a friend who got his MID display replaced bc of lost pixels, fer instance.

Don't get me started on the catalytic converter warranty...

Any of this on target?

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,590 Posts
PropellerHead said:

So if I imply correctly, there is a 4/50 on the drivetrain, engine, big stuff on Bimmers? I had no idea. :thumbup:

So, out of the box, a new bimmer goes like this:

New Bimmer has bumper to bumper "maintenance warranty" for 3/36 that can be extended for ~$450. It includes the big stuff mentioned above being b to b and all.

Beyond that 3/36 maintenace warranty, there is a 4/50 drivetrain offered that you get whether you extend the maintenance or not.
----------
A used Bimmer could have a CPO warranty, while not an extension of the bumper to bumper, does cover most stuff for 6 years / 100K miles from original delivery date. I had a friend who got his MID display replaced bc of lost pixels, fer instance.

Don't get me started on the catalytic converter warranty...

Any of this on target?
Right on, right on, right on, right on...

:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.