BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My cam position sensor threw a P0012 code this morning. Car runs perfect, no ill effects. I was going to stop back by the store in the morning and get a new sensor to install Saturday morning, but after the third crank of the day (leaving the grocery store this afternoon) the code went away.
My question is, the code is for Bank 1, but I can't find anything noting which bank is which.I'm assuming Bank 1 is the driver's side and Bank 2 is passenger. Am I correct or backwards?

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,650 Posts
I'm assuming Bank 1 is the driver's side and Bank 2 is passenger. Am I correct or backwards?
Neither--you're not driving a V6.

On a BMW inline-6, bank 1 is cylinders 1-3 and bank 2 is cylinders 4-6. Cylinder 1 is at the front.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither--you're not driving a V6.

On a BMW inline-6, bank 1 is cylinders 1-3 and bank 2 is cylinders 4-6. Cylinder 1 is at the front.
I know that. I just need to know which sensor to replace. I noticed there are two cam sensors on the car but the code only says Bank 1. Since Bank 1 is for cylinders 1-3, but there is an intake cam and an exhaust cam, I'm kind of stuck. I don't want to spend the money to replace both sensors just because I don't know which one is actually bad. It'd be nice if the code would specify which cam the sensor is on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Google is your friend.

Intake. And code apparently does not necessarily mean bad CPS, could also be a VANOS issue.

Al

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Google is your friend.

Intake. And code apparently does not necessarily mean bad CPS, could also be a VANOS issue.

Al
I was going by the Autozone printout. It just says Bank 1. However, my Haynes manual says intake cam, just as you mentioned. Now my question is, is the intake cam on the driver's side or passenger side?
I've never worked on a dual cam car before.

--- Edit ---
Nevermind. Found my answer.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
The BMW E90 engine utilizes two VANOS (variable camshaft timing) solenoids. One for the intake camshaft and one for the exhaust camshaft, the Intake camshaft is on the driver side of the engine. One can actually see labelling stamped/engraved on the camshaft adjuster (VANOS) units, intake says 'EIN/IN'

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The BMW E90 engine utilizes two VANOS (variable camshaft timing) solenoids. One for the intake camshaft and one for the exhaust camshaft, the Intake camshaft is on the driver side of the engine. One can actually see labelling stamped/engraved on the camshaft adjuster (VANOS) units, intake says 'EIN/IN'
Thank you.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
I would swap the sensors first and see if the fault follows before replacing it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would swap the sensors first and see if the fault follows before replacing it
If / when the code gets thrown again, I plan on doing the pelican parts testing on it to see if it's actually bad or not. I'm also planning on taking the extra few minutes to take the vans solenoids out to clean them.
Looks like pelican parts has some pretty straight forward and detailed how-to's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts