Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

yesterday I caught a flying object (not a stone but some part of truck) from a small truck in front of me and in the process windshield cracked on the passenger side. :cry::cry::cry: I took a picture of the truck (including license plate) but I assume I have no way to prove that.

What are my options? How much does the OEM windshield replacement cost now a days if I get it done at BMW dealer? I have been reading about Safelite. Can i ask them to install OEM to save on the high labor costs at dealer? I have a 1000$ deductible on comprehensive insurance. :mad::mad::mad: so most likely will have to pay out of pocket.

I will start to call different dealers to get a quote soon but would like to hear any recent experiences from fellow bimmerfesters. Sincerely appreciate your help. Thanks.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,743 Posts
How about taking a photo of the crack? How big is it?

Repair should be at the top of your list. Replacement should not be the first option.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If it is a true crack get it fixed using the glass coverage in the car policy. And yes use factory glass.
Totally agree and use nothing but OEM BMW glass! Stay clear of Safelite.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ok, here's the straight poop.

I'm in the middle of a claim with SF insurance. Windshield can't be repaired. The crack is over 6 inches. State Farm uses a company to work glass claims. They want to send me a Ck for $864. That is the negotiated amount from their glass companies that have agreed on prices with them. My deductible is $50 so the cost would be $914.
I called my dealer and got this info. The labor is a flat $300 for their in house glass guy. The glass, with heads up and rain sensor is $634. Wow. That's $934. But here's the rub. The two pillar moldings, $50 each, and the top windshield molding $25, will get destroyed during the removal process and must be replaced. If I took the money from SF and had the dealer do the work, I would then have to try to get the extra back from the insurance company.
I went back after my agent. They canceled the original claim and started a new one. I now don't need to deal with the SF glass people. I'm going thru a regular adjuster who will listen to reason and understands the molding issue.
It's being repaired at the dealer. I will be out my $50 deductible. I meet the adjuster on Saturday morning for them to cut me a check. I'll let you know if it's not what's expected.

·
2015 328x
1,653 Posts
I have been extremely lucky. I have been hit with 2 rocks or gravel in 5 months time. The sound they made when hitting the windshield was shocking. I was sure there would be a crack. Both times, nothing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had a tiny chip in the windshield of my 2014 428I. I had safelite do the change (drive in, not via one of their on site trucks) I have Geico with $0 deductible, so it was nothing out of pocket. They did use BMW OEM. The Safelite manager explained that Geico will pay for OEM if the car is newer, 2 years or less. I was apprehensive about how it would come out.... it was perfectly and flawlessly done. Very pleased over all with the zero out of pocket and the professional job Safelite did.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Skip the dealership and go directly to the glass guy. Most deslerships sub contract out glass work so instead of giving BMW a piece of the action, just skip the middle man and go to the glass repair shop

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a tiny chip in the windshield of my 2014 428I. I had safelite do the change (drive in, not via one of their on site trucks) I have Geico with $0 deductible, so it was nothing out of pocket. They did use BMW OEM. The Safelite manager explained that Geico will pay for OEM if the car is newer, 2 years or less. I was apprehensive about how it would come out.... it was perfectly and flawlessly done. Very pleased over all with the zero out of pocket and the professional job Safelite did.
May I ask what the total cost was for the OEM?

·
Registered
113 Posts
A few things, my Son is an adjuster, if the object fell off the truck and hit your car the other vehicle is at fault, if it fell off then hit the ground its your fault you hit something on the road, as for using a BMW Dealer for glass work, I think not, when they are installing it drive over and see you will notice the glass shops van parked behind the building, no Dealer does window replacement, the price your paying is high, I had a windshield replaced in a S-500 Mercedes a couple years back, it had all the stuff sensors etc in the glass, it was under $300 done properly

·
86 Posts
I have a 2013 328ix with 29,000 miles which I purchased new through the European delivery program. In the past 2 yrs my windshield was struck by objects on 3 separate occasion requiring windshield replacements. State Farm recommended Glass Doctor a national franchise. What complicated this somewhat is that I have Heads Up Display which is probably 3 times more expensive than a conventional windshield.

I have a $100 deductible which I paid each time. Glass Doctor said the amount billed to State Farm was around $900 versus $300 or so for a conventional windshield. Each time they did a beautiful job including knowing how to install the electrical connections for the HUD.

The 3 series does have a low hood line which could contribute to objects striking the windshield instead of the bumper. Yesterday, someone was on a radio show who drove a travel trailer to Alaska this year while towing a car. They put 2200 miles on the car and they had 19 chips on the windshield and 3 on the travel trailer. Road debris contributed to this.

I had no other claims with State Farm for many years but I fear being cancelled if it happens again. Again, Glass Doctor was excellent.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,054 Posts
I used Safelite to replace my windshield on my prior car (Lexus -- rain sensing wipers; no HUD). No problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A few things, my Son is an adjuster, if the object fell off the truck and hit your car the other vehicle is at fault, if it fell off then hit the ground its your fault you hit something on the road, as for using a BMW Dealer for glass work, I think not, when they are installing it drive over and see you will notice the glass shops van parked behind the building, no Dealer does window replacement, the price your paying is high, I had a windshield replaced in a S-500 Mercedes a couple years back, it had all the stuff sensors etc in the glass, it was under $300 done properly
Thank you. I am not sure how I can prove that object directly hit my windshield. All I have is a picture of truck after the incident occurred. I wish I had dashcam to prove what happened :(:(:(

·
East Coast Commuter
4,604 Posts
I used Safelite to replace my windshield on my prior car (Lexus -- rain sensing wipers; no HUD). No problems.

Me too. Just make sure you get a Safelite installer who knows what they are doing. I have the best Safelite installer in my area on speed dial and he knows me by name.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the windshield replaced twice during 2015 in the wife's 2015 328d. No heads up display! Colorado and Oregon. Minimal trim replacement. Total cost, each time, was $550 with the exact OE glass the factory installed. The first repair was done at Safelite and they had to order the OE glass. The 2nd repair was done at a local shop that does the replacements for the BMW dealership and they ordered the OE glass through the dealer.

MAKE SURE TWO INSTALLERS DO THE JOB ON A LEVEL SURFACE!

Leon McKee

·
Registered
19 Posts
Most dealerships contract out winshield repairs. Safelite guarantees their work so I don't see a problem using them or another reputable glass installer. On a MB forum about ten years ago (when I had a MB) members would complain because the replacement glass didn't have a threee pointed star on the glass.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had the windshield replaced twice during 2015 in the wife's 2015 328d. No heads up display! Colorado and Oregon. Minimal trim replacement. Total cost, each time, was $550 with the exact OE glass the factory installed. The first repair was done at Safelite and they had to order the OE glass. The 2nd repair was done at a local shop that does the replacements for the BMW dealership and they ordered the OE glass through the dealer.

MAKE SURE TWO INSTALLERS DO THE JOB ON A LEVEL SURFACE!

Leon McKee

Safelite replaced mine and I was there every step of the way - interesting process! They use a cord type device to break the seal and a special mount to place the glass in place, a one person job. Zero issues, just need an experienced guy!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts