BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

2000 528i M52TU, 220'000+ miles (or maybe more, my cluster is broken and odometer is showing 999999 which is another topic and i don't know the fix :) )

I'm trying to tackle the VANOS repair, I ordered the kit with anit-rattle rings. So I want to get the rings and the washers done inside the piston, along with the seals (o-rings) on the outside.
I have no issue with taking off/replacing the o-rings, but man I CAN'T GET THE DARN PISTON OPEN!
I tried all different kinds of vice and even a breaker bar on the 24mm socket - the bottom part just keeps slipping at the bottom, I can't get the cap open no matter how I try!

The Beisian guide implies it's as easy as having a vice and impact wrench
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/double_vanos_rattle_procedure.htm

and 50sKid and his youtube video "BMW 330i 325i E46 Vanos Rebuild" @at 17:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eUVF6OLFFg it seems very easy and straightforward.

I tell you I tried all sort of things and all kinds of vice. I don't have an impact gun... and I don't have a wooden vice, honestly. But wouldn't a conventional iron vice, and a breaker bar to a better job (which I tried, and it's not help)??

Any of you who've done that, and have experience with that, how easy was it to crack the piston open? Any tips or tricks on how to do it easily? May be spray something on the threads around the cap, because after 200 kmi i believe it's pretty cooked?

Btw, i tried the piston on the shaft, there isn't much "axial play", and I honestly haven't been noticing any of the "rattle" in the vanos area. So, what would you say, I *do* want to get the anti-rattle rings done because I know I never gonna get there ever again.. but on the other hand I don't want warp the pistons on the outside with the jaws etc by applying too much force. Should I just skip doing the anti-rattle rings inside, and just do the o-rings on the outside and be done with it??

Any suggestions? please. I'd like to hear your story.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*** solved ***

So, as fairly stated in Besian vanos rattle repair procedure, the important thing is to have the soft vise jaws. I bought some nylon soft vise jaws for ~$13 at Amazon. This holds the piston in the vise well.

Also, I bought an impact wrench at Harbour Freight, and that made an <<huge>> difference!

As they say, "if you have the right tools - you can do anything!"

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
One more question I have though:

When I assembled the pistons back (using the new "anti-rattle" rings and the new "thrust bearings" from the repair kit), when I shake the piston up and down now I can hear stuff dinging and moving inside the piston (while when I originally took the [unrepaired] pistons off the spline shaft they weren't making any noise if I shook them, I'm pretty sure).

Let's hope this is because the washers and the bearings in the [old] dirty piston were filled with oil.. and that was somehow glueing washers and pieces together....
While now, when clean, and assembled with new parts inside it shakes and rattles like a metal box, full of coins...

I know radial (side-to-side) movement is ok. I'm talking about when you shake piston up and down...

Did the insides of the piston(s) ring and rattle when you just reassembled them clean? I did tighten the piston cap tight ("hit it 3 times with your impact wrench, 1 second each").

1 - 4 of 4 Posts