BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The prize is a Ferrari 360 Challenge Car (Approx $175,000).

Too bad I am not a computer nerd...

Challenge

Please post a pic if you win the car!

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
haha it has a 1,048,576 bit symmetric key!!! I will be lucky to break a 256 bit key by August.:cry:

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
this is kindda hard, maybe a company like united device can do it... i think it took a while for rc5 challenge to crack 1024-bit keys... and quite a few schools and companies participated... special hardware will definitely be needed... hmm...

--Andrew

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
Alex Baumann said:

tip&trick&hint that is :D I'm on the phone right now. Speaking german as you write in english is a bit difficult sometimes :D
:D Alex is a talanted man! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
ayn said:
this is kindda hard, maybe a company like united device can do it... i think it took a while for rc5 challenge to crack 1024-bit keys... and quite a few schools and companies participated... special hardware will definitely be needed... hmm...
Do I hear distributed computing? :thumb: Pool the resources of .org, the Fest, and Fanatics and you have quite a supercomputer. :D

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
alee said:

Except you're more likely to crack the encryption than you are likely to find something interesting through SETI. :)
i have united device's client on my machine, i know ppl at UD, an austin company, and it's for a good course (cancer research or something)...

basically what RC5 did is that the clients download a range of keys and they try to crack it exhaustively, I don't think this method would work in this case, there are simply not enough time.

that's why i said special hardware would be needed... not sure if an FPGA would be fast enough even... hmmm...

I think Gilmore did that for DES, check http://www.eff.org/descracker.html

--Andrew

·
Registered
11 Posts
lol... there are 2 ways to solve this in the time remaining for the lifespan of the universe:

1. find an error in the algorithm or underlying assumptions for the algorithm and use that weakness to calculate an answer.

2. build a quantum computer

Assuming the algorithm is decent enough, option 1 would require a very good mathematician / cryptographer or an extremely lucky (read: this person does not exist) individual to just 'see' the problem. Option 2 will happen eventually (but not so quickly as to negate the usefullness of this algorithm), however the initial cost to build it will *greatly* exceed the cost of the car.

Basically, you'd have a better chance at winning a multimillion dollar lottery, in which case you buy several Ferraris. :)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
in_d_haus said:
I'm in on the group crack :thumb:
Yea, you and your good buddy A. van Hooydonk. Not that there's anything wrong with that, :lmao:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts