BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Crack the code - Win the Car

1719 18
The prize is a Ferrari 360 Challenge Car (Approx $175,000).

Too bad I am not a computer nerd...

Challenge

Please post a pic if you win the car!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
haha it has a 1,048,576 bit symmetric key!!! I will be lucky to break a 256 bit key by August.:cry:
Do you think we can set up a team work ? If we win, we can sell it and buy a few M3s. :D
LOL! Did you mail them ? Will you allow me for a drive when I'm in PA ? :D

BTW, who gave you hint ? Tony Soprano ? :D
alee said:
The answer is 42.
Gave you tip? :eek: :eeps:
Alex Baumann said:


LOL! Did you mail them ? Will you allow me for a drive when I'm in PA ? :D

BTW, who gave you tip ? Tony Soprano ? :D
tip&trick&hint that is :D I'm on the phone right now. Speaking german as you write in english is a bit difficult sometimes :D
bol said:
Gave you tip? :eek: :eeps:
this is kindda hard, maybe a company like united device can do it... i think it took a while for rc5 challenge to crack 1024-bit keys... and quite a few schools and companies participated... special hardware will definitely be needed... hmm...

--Andrew
:D Alex is a talanted man! :thumb:
Alex Baumann said:


tip&trick&hint that is :D I'm on the phone right now. Speaking german as you write in english is a bit difficult sometimes :D
'talented' :D sorry, couldn't resist :D (j/k)
bol said:


:D Alex is a talanted man! :thumb:
He catches it! :thumb:
Alex Baumann said:


'talented' :D sorry, couldn't resist :D (j/k)
Do I hear distributed computing? :thumb: Pool the resources of .org, the Fest, and Fanatics and you have quite a supercomputer. :D
ayn said:
this is kindda hard, maybe a company like united device can do it... i think it took a while for rc5 challenge to crack 1024-bit keys... and quite a few schools and companies participated... special hardware will definitely be needed... hmm...
yeah, a la SETI :D
alee said:

Do I hear distributed computing? :thumb: Pool the resources of .org, the Fest, and Fanatics and you have quite a supercomputer. :D
Except you're more likely to crack the encryption than you are likely to find something interesting through SETI. :)
Alex Baumann said:
yeah, a la SETI :D
i have united device's client on my machine, i know ppl at UD, an austin company, and it's for a good course (cancer research or something)...

basically what RC5 did is that the clients download a range of keys and they try to crack it exhaustively, I don't think this method would work in this case, there are simply not enough time.

that's why i said special hardware would be needed... not sure if an FPGA would be fast enough even... hmmm...

I think Gilmore did that for DES, check http://www.eff.org/descracker.html

--Andrew
alee said:

Except you're more likely to crack the encryption than you are likely to find something interesting through SETI. :)
lol... there are 2 ways to solve this in the time remaining for the lifespan of the universe:

1. find an error in the algorithm or underlying assumptions for the algorithm and use that weakness to calculate an answer.

2. build a quantum computer

Assuming the algorithm is decent enough, option 1 would require a very good mathematician / cryptographer or an extremely lucky (read: this person does not exist) individual to just 'see' the problem. Option 2 will happen eventually (but not so quickly as to negate the usefullness of this algorithm), however the initial cost to build it will *greatly* exceed the cost of the car.

Basically, you'd have a better chance at winning a multimillion dollar lottery, in which case you buy several Ferraris. :)
I'm in on the group crack :thumb:
Yea, you and your good buddy A. van Hooydonk. Not that there's anything wrong with that, :lmao:
in_d_haus said:
I'm in on the group crack :thumb:
LOL, wonder if the 15 yr old script kiddie who wins it will have the 15 grand in sales tax that he'll need to take it away :D
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top