BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E39 528i
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning this '99 538 for about a month and adding roughly 50 miles to the odo, I finally got it into the garage to replace the battery, expansion tank, and crankshaft sensor.
While I was cleaning up before I reattached the splash shield I discovered the right side engine support arm is broken and basically holding up the right side of the engine with the top 2 bolts. This is the part that connects the engine block to the motor mount.
Is there a diy on how to remove and replace the support? My search only comes up with motor mount replacement and an engine brace tool.
It looks like a diy nightmare or a financial nightmare if I take it to the shop. The pictures show the support looking from the front of the car and looking forward from the rear.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grey Bumper Automotive design
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Flash photography Bumper

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Put the front of the car on jack stands, remove the lower engine cover, then use a floor jack to support the engine from below.
Remove the bolts and replace the support bracket.

·
Registered
1999 E39 528i
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jim. Sounds easy enough, doesn't look that way though. Same process as installing motor mounts. Just couldn't see how to get the part out.

·
Registered
15,460 Posts
- This happened when car hit a big pot hole etc.

- New is inexpensive from BMW dealer $25-$30 range.

- Once the bolts are removed, you can remove the bracket. You might have to remove some other parts to clear the way. Please post feedback how you remove it as others may benefit from it.

- If you have not replaced the engine mounts, time to replace them since the bracket is out.
I wrote a DIY a while back...

DIY: 1998 528I Engine/Trans Mounts Replacement

·
Registered
1999 E39 528i
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you cn90. Your write up is perfect. Just what I needed. I'll order the bracket and mounts and get this done.
In your write up you used wooden ramps at all four corners. Can I just put the front end on jack stands or rhino ramps?
Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts