BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

We pulled up last night in our garage and as I turned the ignition off, there was a cracking sound causing me a minor heart-attack.

I looked around and then finally saw what caused it. The left side foglight has a nice pretty internal crack on the lens. This is the very stupid foglight that'd always come on during parking (park assist on auto headlight). Fogs still work fine albeit the crack on the glass.

Not sure if it was caused by rain/moisture/heat, etc as it was raining slightly. Though there's no moisture built-up inside the fogs.

Still have factory warranty till end this year but wondering if BMW will cover this repair? Also, both my MDX and Toyota truck have factory fog lamps that are auto-on with over 100k miles and no issues to this day. I'm surprised that the fog lamp glass is so brittle on a $50k vehicle :eek::tsk:.

Has this happened or anyone seen this on BMW/X5s?

Thanks.

PS: Wife is driving the vehicle today so can't take pics....but perhaps in the PM.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was there any extreme temp change quickly ie super cold to very warm garage or trauma?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Hmm...well... we came home from a 2hr drive in rain (fogs was turned on during this time). But in Sacramento, its not super cold either..perhaps around 45 degrees Fahrenheit at that time.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
BMW will only covre this if you can prove it was defective.

SHort of a forensic analysis from a glass expert, you will likely fail to prove this.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
They said the left/driver side is easier than the right side for a diesel...
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604722

Fog light changing procedure:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605181
Practice this tonight... basically stick your finger into the diamond shape hole in that black plastic flap. The silver/horizontal part may latch/hook on to the bumper, so pull the entire black flap to one side so that it unhooks. Do not be too gentle or that flap just won't come out. If you can "see" or feel the foglight inside the bumper, you're a professional DIY guy now!! Now that you can reach it.... go to ebay or somewhere online to search for a replacement foglight (search "x5 e70 LCI foglight adaptive") The adaptive seems to be different from the non-adaptive type. Also look in the tool box for a torx T20 tool in the mean time... Good luck!

(I swapped the bulbs in there before.)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mine is, but IIRC, it was a rock chip. I just put a piece of quality clear tape on it to keep moisture out and see how that rides. It's been fine for 4 months now. A little *******, but I didn't want to replace to have it happen again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.