BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some BOSCH ignition coils from a 328xi that intend to put on my N55 335xi. 2006-2012 coils i've heard are interchangeable and I will replace all of my coils with new ones. These coils were used for about 45K and they looked pretty clean. However 2 of 6 coils have these cracks on them and it seems like a no brainer answer to get a new one.

Would these cracks be considered a big hazard? Should I let them go? I haven't tested them yet but I want to know if pitting/cracking like this is a big red flag.

Dealership quoting 1k for a coil and plug replacement for all of them, I've got new sparks on the way and decided to pick up a buddy's coils and I will just do them myself.

Thanks

https://i.imgur.com/XiqFS4P.jpg

Attachments

· Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
4,518 Posts
I got some BOSCH ignition coils from a 328xi that intend to put on my N55 335xi. 2006-2012 coils i've heard are interchangeable and I will replace all of my coils with new ones. These coils were used for about 45K and they looked pretty clean. However 2 of 6 coils have these cracks on them and it seems like a no brainer answer to get a new one.
Definitely DIY @ $25 per coil & $10 per plug :D

I was surprised to find that your 2011 N55 DOES have the same Bosch coils specified as my 2007 N52KP:
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/0221504470

I had a similar chunk of rubber missing on one of my coils when I changed the plugs, and replaced that coil "just to be safe." I had a Bosch coil of the same part# so figured I would just use it -- OK to mix old & new if same part#. Just do NOT use Bosch & Delphi, mix & UNmatch. :tsk:

THAT coil was NOT causing a misfire code on mine, so maybe not something to be worried about. You might be safe just to wrap that part of the coil/ plug boot where the insulation is missing with electrical tape (if high-temp tape). Just a matter of how much you want to pay for peace-of-mind & not having to redo the job in a year or so.

George

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback and replies. Yeah DIY all the way.. pelican parts guides are great.

$10 bucks a coil is good but I was hoping to get away with these free hand me downs. Better safe than sorry.

And yeah I was trying to find out the main difference between these coils. Seems like the N55 ones have this metallic outer part as opposed to these rubber ones. How much of a difference does that make?

Thanks again though!

· Banned
10,087 Posts

Would these cracks be considered a big hazard? Should I let them go? I haven't tested them yet but I want to know if pitting/cracking like this is a big red flag.

Dealership quoting 1k for a coil and plug replacement for all of them, I've got new sparks on the way and decided to pick up a buddy's coils and I will just do them myself.
Yep.

You're smart to buy virgin coils! It's a BMW so money's no object.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.