BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Has anyone encountered this problem?
I've been told the Oil Filter Housing is cracked, not just leaking from an old gasket.

So how does a component of this size crack all on it's own.
This is on a 175k mile car in excellent condition... except for this.

Thanks for your insights,
Peter Carbone

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,942 Posts
Of course they can, LOL, when was it changed last ? hot/cold cycles, vibration, God any number of things, being over tightened for sure
Case of not why, just replace, get the OEM part as well

Hi Guys,
Has anyone encountered this problem?
I've been told the Oil Filter Housing is cracked, not just leaking from an old gasket.

So how does a component of this size crack all on it's own.
This is on a 175k mile car in excellent condition... except for this.

Thanks for your insights,
Peter Carbone

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,942 Posts
BTW, my 1'er was babied, oil changes 2-3 times a year and an oil filer mid way, ONLY OEM parts as well
you still can have failures

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,942 Posts
KISS

generally, caused by one of 2 things: simple age/wear and tear or the over-torquing of the housing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys, Has anyone encountered this problem? I've been told the Oil Filter Housing is cracked, not just leaking from an old gasket. So how does a component of this size crack all on it's own. This is on a 175k mile car in excellent condition... except for this. Thanks for your insights, Peter Carbone
Expect to pay big time. They had to pull engine in my 2013 535i $3800

·
Registered
E90 335xi, '20 X3
47 Posts
I just had mine apart again Recently, less than 1yr on the gasket... I found the mating surface had "notches" in it, places where there wasn't full contact or full support for the gasket. Took a file to it and flattened on a diamond plate to get full contact and more compression on the gasket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a n4720a engine with a plastic main housing and cap, I have noticed more of the metal main housings and plastic cap on other same engines. Which is do you have?. To look at they are identical except for material. What's peoples vies on which is more durable?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Some engines have the oil cooler built into the housing, these have 4 o rings to change out with the gasket. If cracked however housing you will need repairing if metal or replacing if funds allow. I imagine that part being $350. There are loads on ebay however in the UK.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts