Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Law Enforcer
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys & Gals, something terrible happened. After I sold my Hamanns last sunday to a fellow E46fanatics member, I wasn't paying attention, and I put my wheels meant for the front, on the rear, and vice versa. So I noticed it on Wednesday morning, and decided to fix it when I got home from work. All was good, and I started to jack up the car...lugs nuts loosed on the two driver side wheels...when the worse thing happens. The rubber *jack* points under the car by the rear wheel popped off and my car fell on the jack. OH GOD! I proclaimed...as I ran to my car to assess the damage. My driver side side skirt had a dent/crack in it about the size of a small lemon, and I have to get it fixed. You can't really see it, but I know it's there, so I see it all the time (I'm sure you members know how it is! =) , at any rate, I need a suggestion. Should I have the side skirt repaired, or just replace it altogether? How much is a side skirt from the dealer? Or should I just let it be, since I'm trading in my car in Dec., once my M3 arrives?

Attachments

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
The same thing happened to me last week while I was changing out my brakes with Axxis pads. The car moved a little, and fell on the jack and the rotor! I have a gash in my sideskirt about 2 inches long. Like you said, I can't see it but I know its there. Luckily, it didn't crack the sideskirt at all.

Since its just a plastic peice, they probably will need to sand the whole peice down, fill in the crack and repaint. I wouldn't think it would cost more than a few hundred dollars. Get your insurance company to cover it. As long as the repair bill is under $1k, your rates won't go up.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Damn man, that sucks!!! If it were me I would probably just wait and trade the thing on the ///M3. I would not worry about it since its only a couple of months till the M gets here, but thats just my opinion:dunno:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Oh well, if you have Topaz Blue I have two side skirts in perfect condition that I am willing to part with CHEAP. :dunno:

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
Is this a common problem for the the rubber jack points to pop off? I think I remeber somone else mentioning this happening to them. I'm going to be switching to my snows in end of November and want to use the cars jack because I'm paranoid to use a floor jack... I'm not sure where to jack the car up without causing damage.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
M3Inline6 said:
TheHack: How much? where in California are you? Are they easy to remove and install?
I live in the San Gabriel Valley but work in Rancho Cucamonga.

As far as the easy of installation, it's a piece of cake. All the plugs are clip on and easy to get on/off. I can supply you with the part numbers, you can call around other dealerships to find out how much for new ones, and we can work out a deal for them.

You will need new female receptor plugs. They are one use only.

Email me, [email protected] if you're interested. Again, they are topaz blue and would require repainting.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i had a crack right at one of the corners from going over a speed bump, about 1-2 inches long.

i went out bought some marine fiberglass epoxy, filled in the crack sanded it and applied touchup paint..

not great but it kept the crack from splitting even further

jeff

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Artslinger said:
Is this a common problem for the the rubber jack points to pop off? I think I remeber somone else mentioning this happening to them. I'm going to be switching to my snows in end of November and want to use the cars jack because I'm paranoid to use a floor jack... I'm not sure where to jack the car up without causing damage.
EEGADS man! :yikes: Stay away from the BMW jack, use your floor jack. As long as you properly place the jack head under the mounting point the possibility of the rubber thingy popping off should be minimized. I've jacked my car up with a floor jack about 10x already and never had an issue.

This was most definitely a fluke, unfortunately for M3Inline6. =/ If it is a common problem, I can see law suits in BMW's future.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
BMW does alot of things right when they engineer the cars but... things would would think anyone could design right... window regulators, door seals, throttle pedals, jack mounting points they screw up.

Where do I put the floor jack?... if I put the floor jack head under the mounting point will it bend or damage anything? On most cars I've tried this it bent the shit out of the bottom of the car. :dunno:

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Artslinger said:
BMW does alot of things right when they engineer the cars but... things would would think anyone could design right... window regulators, door seals, throttle pedals, jack mounting points they screw up.

Where do I put the floor jack?... if I put the floor jack head under the mounting point will it bend or damage anything? On most cars I've tried this it bent the shit out of the bottom of the car. :dunno:
If you use the proper factory mounting point nothing will bend, as it's attached to the actual frame of the car. If you try to lift the car via the engine mount, core support, lower control arm, rear diff, subframe, etc. then yes, something will break or bend.

The 3'er mounting points are right behind the front wheels, under the front corner of the front doors, and right in front of the rear wheels as well.

I once lifted my old skool subaru up in the air using the radiator mount and displaced the radiator by about 3" vertically. Not fun to fix! Then again it didn't much matter on that car. :)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I say again:

1) The OEM BMW jack sucks
2) Use wheel chocks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts