Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, boys and girls,

Just another tale of premature failure of a BMW part.

When I took my 2011 335is in to get the coolant pump replaced after it failed only after 26000 miles (described in an earlier thread) the SA told me I had a cracked valve cover that is leaking oil. $1000 cost to replace it!

My indy mechanic claims that this is not unusual because the valve cover is PLASTIC! Another example of BMW cutting corners to save money (for them - not the car owners).

Maybe it can be fixed with glue or some other product.

This is my last BMW.

·
Ziggy.
424 Posts
do you have a Sulev car? might be covered under warrenty if your in an emissions state which i think washington is but i could be mistaken

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
When I took my 2011 335is in to get the coolant pump replaced after it failed only after 26000 miles (described in an earlier thread) the SA told me I had a cracked valve cover that is leaking oil. $1000 cost to replace it!

My indy mechanic claims that this is not unusual because the valve cover is PLASTIC! Another example of BMW cutting corners to save money (for them - not the car owners).

Maybe it can be fixed with glue or some other product.

This is my last BMW.
Actually, you said 25,000 miles, not 26,000 miles, so which is it ?

Cracked valve covers are not unheard of, but they're not a common failure item either.

This is just another "oh my, I'm so hard done by, BMW sucks" thread. You either a) have a lemon car, it happens, b) drive your car very hard, or c) there's something going on here that we don't know. If the car is so terrible, sell it and move on :dunno: You've been in a couple discussions on the board about how "this is my last BMW". OK..... and ? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
do you have a Sulev car? might be covered under warrenty if your in an emissions state which i think washington is but i could be mistaken
I don't think the N54 engine qualifies for the Sulev warrantee. Also, I don't live in Washington state, I live in Washington DC - not a Sulev state (actually not a state at all). I think this will be another case of sucking sound as more money goes out the door.

Considering all the money I have spent since the original warrantee expired I am now thinking the extended warrantee would have been a good investment.

·
Restoration Enthusiast
104 Posts
Odd to have a valve cover just crack for no reason. I've owned and worked on quite a few cars with plastic valve covers and the only time that I'v ever seen one crack is form being overtorqued during installation. Have you contacted BMW North America about the issue? I have 145k on my 06 330xi and while it has some issues, I feel as though the car is still very strong and reliable. Its never left me stranded.

·
beemlyfe
683 Posts
Actually, you said 25,000 miles, not 26,000 miles, so which is it ?

Cracked valve covers are not unheard of, but they're not a common failure item either.

This is just another "oh my, I'm so hard done by, BMW sucks" thread. You either a) have a lemon car, it happens, b) drive your car very hard, or c) there's something going on here that we don't know. If the car is so terrible, sell it and move on :dunno: You've been in a couple discussions on the board about how "this is my last BMW". OK..... and ? :dunno:
This should be the last post in the thread. Articulated beautifully. Nothing more to be said about OP or his inherent dissatisfaction with BMW.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts