BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6'2" and am finding it difficult to find a comfortable seating position. I've never had this problem in my other 3 and 5 series cars (at the expense of rear seat leg room which is not a problem in the 7), but do have an issue in my 7. The problem is that when I get my seat height correct (4 fingers from the headliner), fore-aft distance set, and angle adjusted, I find that my right knee is very close to the right side firewall. Within half an inch. So that if I move just a little, then the front of my knee will hit the firewall, or sometimes the steering column or center console. The left side has plenty of room.

Has anyone else come across this? How have you addressed this? Sitting lower? Further back? More tilt?

Thanks.

· Registered
634 Posts
I am SO much shorter than you, and I "feel" the right side firewall also with my right knee. I am 5'8. However, I feel that my seating position is very comfortable and almost ideal. Sorry you are not comfortable. We had this issue in our last 2 SLs though.

· Registered
38 Posts
I am 6***8217; 7***8221; and find it a very comfortable vehicle (best one I have had I would say). My car has the M-Sport Seats and not the Comfort ones. Having driven a vehicle with comfort seats I think on balance the sport seats are better for me, they are a bit more sculptured and are just such big seats! I would be more than happy with comfort seats but would not pay the extra.

I do agree with you that the steering column and lower part of the dashboard does make it tight though and have clipped my foot a couple of times getting in and out.

· Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

· Registered
2020 BMW 750i, 2017 BMW X3, 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
324 Posts
6'0" and the only car I've ever been perfectly comfortable in was my 2006 750Li with comfort seats.
I like my 2011 better in all respects, EXCEPT front seat space.
It's disappointing that such a large vehicle is still cramped in the drivers seat.

· Wardaddy in retirement
962 Posts
I'm a bit over 6'3" but it's not the height that's the problem, but the wide frame. For me, just about any car other than a truck or a van is small. I barely "snug fit" in a 7 series, and yeah the right side is indeed way too close. To be honest I felt a tad bit more comfortable in the e65.

· Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm a bit over 6'3" but it's not the height that's the problem, but the wide frame.
That's my second gripe (very minor one). I'm a pretty big chap, and I need to spread my arms out unnaturally to use the arm rests. It makes the 7 series seem a half size too big - but the 5 series is a half size too small. Perhaps I just need to get an LWB car and chauffeur and use the comfort seats in the back.

· BMW rocks!
795 Posts
Another thing is the door pillar, with my seating position, I can hardly see the left side traffic because the pillar is right there blocking my view. Most of the time I have to bend over to see the incoming traffic when I make a right turn, or just a lane change.

· Registered
172 Posts
Another thing is the door pillar, with my seating position, I can hardly see the left side traffic because the pillar is right there blocking my view. Most of the time I have to bend over to see the incoming traffic when I make a right turn, or just a lane change.
I used to think the blind spot detection was a nice extra -- in my seven it's a necessity, and likely the reason it was developed. Same as back up cameras in just abt every car out there. Safer pillars and styling I love drastically limit visibility. I've had mine 4 mos. now, and just got the importance of blind spot detection. I use it everyday now on the freeway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.