BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 BMW 528i with 95,000 miles on it. The lady that had it said it was running great when she parked it and it sat for 6 months. When she tried to start it the battery was bad and she replaced it. Now will crank but no start. I pulled the plugs and put a 1/2 oz of oil in each cylinder thinking it may be a compression issue. After cleaning the plug it seams to want to fire but won't start. It's getting fuel.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
If you have a scanner, pull the codes and see what gives. (Can't tell the players without a program.)

Fuel psi is bout 50#, so needs to be tested with a gauge, eyeballing it won't give you the correct reading most times. Also fuel could have gone bad. It doesn't seem to have much shelf life these days.

Jim

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
Agree with MKJS re scan for codes.

Possible that the dead battery is to blame.

There is some anecdotal evidence that suggests that, when the battery slowly dies, the various electronic modules enter an undefined state.

Wake the car up (open the boot) and let it go to sleep (16 min). Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and let the car set for some minutes (15?). Reconnect, and observe the results.

Report back.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Agree with edjack. Also, depending on how, "many months" it's been truly sitting. Gas can go bad enough in 6 months and how old the gas was before that. Fresh gas my help along with an additive for bad gas, short of draining the gas, if it is bad.

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
I keep hearing about bad gas as a cause for poor running/no-start. I have a Ford E450-based RV. It has set for years, being run every couple of months. A portion of the fuel is several years old. It always starts and runs well.

The only apparent issue with gasohol is separation. Not sure how much sludge is formed when setting, like in The Olden Days, when the fuel was laced with lead.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Gas absorbs moisture in the air. If there's the slightest leak in the cap, or throiugh the venting system, it will go bad. in under a year. Some cars are much more sensative than others. I wouldn't compare a Ford truck to a BMW. A Ford truck would probably run on kerosene. It's your car, do whatever. Just a possibility, that's all.

How Long Does it Take for Gas to Go Bad?

That depends on a number of factors. For one, it's hard to know how old the gas you just bought actually is. It may be fresh from the refinery, or it may be a month old already by the time you top off your tank. Some gasoline is mixed with better or more oxidation inhibitors than others.

It's a good rule of thumb to avoid leaving gas in your tank or a storage container for more than a coupe of months, if you can avoid it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/31/does-gas-go-bad/

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
I suspect the 2006 Ford V-10 fuel system is every bit as good as, if not better than, a 2000 528i.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have access to a scanner anymore but I talked to a local import mechanic and he can get it in at the end of next week. He thought on the phone that it may need a reboot and he said a cam sensor could be another possabilty.

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
Well since we're waiting on codes I would second the gas suggestion.
I would add a few gallons if its near empty.
Also have you tried some good old ether to get it going To confirm spark?

And do you know why the car was parked for 6 months. That could give us a clue as well.

Check fuses, relays, fuel pump. And if you can test the fuel pressure as already suggested.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
how is it that you know its getting fuel? checked pressure at the rail or tried bleeding the schrader valve on the rail?
He asks because we just had someone who through it was getting fuel but when he put a gauge on it it was 20# instead of 50#.

Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I put a 1/2 tank of new fuel in it with a bottle of octane boost. I can smell fuel after cranking and there is fuel on the plugs when I pulled them . Also tried starting fluid with no improvement. I will check he fuel pressure this weekend just haven't yet. The strange thing is when you turn off the ignition and turn it back over it will fire on the first revelation only, then just crank. Does this give anyone a clue? I'm wondering if that would be caused like you guys said earlier about the computer needing rebooted.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I assume you have spark, I assume you have gas, I assume you have compression, I assume you have timing. And going back to second grade you know what you get when you assume. Have you sprayed any carburetor cleaner into the intake manifold to see whether or not she'll even start? (other then the first crank sputter). if she starts and runs on the carb cleaner maybe you've developed a huge vacuum leak. Are your intake runners fastened securely? are any connecting boots old and brittle? Is there a sucking sound when cranked at the injector sites? can you make a video and post it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Go to Autozone and rent a Fuel Pressure Gauge for Free!
Other Automotive stores will do this also, if you are not near an Autozone.

I say this because I, too, ASSUMED that I was getting fuel because when I pulled the plugs on a NO Start condition,
the plugs were wet and distinctly smelled of gasoline.
My assumed diagnostic sent me in a time wasting direction.
When I did a Fuel Pressure test: I had Zero fuel pressure......Yes, Zero pressure but my plugs were wet with gas ...

For a preliminary test:
Turn the key to the on position for 10 seconds.
The Fuel pump will activate and should pressurize the fuel rail.
Depress the center pin in the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.
There should be a squirt of fuel.
That is not a definitive test, but may tell you if the fuel pump is bad if you have Zero pressure.
If Zero, Check the fuel pump for voltage.
There will be voltage for (only) the first 4 seconds after the key is in the ON position: so watch the voltage meter at that time.
If the car is started, there will be voltage all the time the engine is running, of course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just recently had the same problem. 2000 bmw 540i. strong crank no start after sitting over winter. Changed battery which needed to be changed problem 1. Changed camshaft position sensor had lingering code needed to be changed any ways. Changed crank sensor just because before i did research believed a bad crank sensor would only cause this problem if I'm getting fuel and pressure. Fuel pump and filter/regulator i also changed do to sitting. However, in my case i found that my DME system was cutting injectors/and or spark signal. If these are your symptoms and you have tried all else go to ebay buy a DME/EWS/Key set i paid 150$. However, test your car first test fuel/pressure at rail, is the starter turning fast enough, spark? For your car not to start from a air leak would be my last to check unless its enormous.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok found out there is a blown head gasket. Now to decide should I replace it or look into reselling? I don't believe it has ran after cause the oil is old but not milky. I pulled the plugs again to recheck my steps and could see green on the #2 plug after checking, 2-3 have antifreeze in the cylinder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pulled the valve cover off and no sign antifreeze in the upper end at all. I took some pics but can see how to post them

·
Gearhead
1,123 Posts
HOw much did you buy the nonrunning car for?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts