Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey doing some work on my engine (M62) mostly seals and gaskets, well Im at the point where I need to remove the crank pulley wondering if there was a diy or a certain way to do this ?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark exactly what I was looking for. Im trying to replace the lower timing chain cover gasket, after seeing the condition of the upper case gaskets which was fragile hardend rubber figured it made sense to do those to.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I ran a quick /crank in the bestlinks to find not much, just this (among other non-related things such as crankshaft position sensor):
- How to make your own BMW crankshaft holder tool (1)

Same with pulley (found a lot of cooling-system pulley threads but nothing on the crankshaft pulley):

So, I added this thread, so that at least a "/crankshaft pulley" will return pointers.
- How to remove the crankshaft pulley (1)

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
A similar question arose today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Crankshaft Nut - NIGHTMARE continues

Hello again

So since last week I have been applying lubricant daily to help loosen up the crankshaft bolt in order to remove the cover and replace the broken pieces to get my car running again - see NIGHTMARE post a few weeks back if your really interested

Up to this point i have broken one breaker bar and used enough foul language to make my kids think the devil is inside me :p ALL TO NO AVAIL!!!

So before I start heating things up literally I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice to get the @#$% thing to move

Thanks for reading and hopefully someone has a trick :thumbup:

Some references resulting from that thread are...
- timing guides replacement results at 112k miles
- 540i crank bolt..
- Lower chain case cover removal and reinstallation (M62TU) -
- Pelican tools for crankshaft pulley removal
- 540i top end noise (awful)-
- Ebay crankholder tool
etc.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts