BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was heading to work Thursday morning and got three blocks away from my home. Some woman ran a stop sign on a residential street and T-boned me with her POS Nissan X-Terra. She NEVER hit her brakes. The inside of the door was pushed into my left side, but it remained in one piece. My window was up so driver's window broke all over me. Thanks to the safety glass, I did not receive any cuts (the pieces kind of balled up). The driver's door would not open so a police officer had to pull me out through the passenger side.

She received a ticket and accepted responsibility, but NEVER asked me if I was OK. I have only had my car 7 months and I am buying it (not leasing) so you know I am pissed!

Sorry to ruin anyone's day with the ugly pics, but I just had to post because I am amazed that I walked away without any broken bones, cuts, or life-threatening injuries. After surviving this, I am sold on BMW's forever.

Attachments

·
I run gentoo. You?
597 Posts
glad that you are okay. sorry to hear that the woman doesn't seem to be the most thoughtful person. hopefully, the insurance company will total the car. :) (and i hope you got her insurance info!)

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
I'm very glad you are ok, did the side airbags go off? Was there any notification on the dashboard? Best of luck w/ everything you are dealing w/.

·
Adolescent On-Call
3,262 Posts
BMWs are tough, huh!!? Glad ur okay. Pray they total it cuz they probably should, IMO according to the damage in those pics. Similar thing happened to me in April in an E46. Make sure the mechanics pull up the carpet to inspect the frame for damage. Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Glad you are okay!!! :D :yikes: Barique Red? :dunno:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Glad you're alright. Sucks how people can be such *ssholes

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"I'm very glad you are ok, did the side airbags go off? Was there any notification on the dashboard?"
No, 330ximd, the airbags did not deploy. It suprised me that they didn't. Maybe they only work at higher speeds. There wasn't anything that I can remember on the dash (but I don't have iDrive so it may be different for those with it).

"Make sure the mechanics pull up the carpet to inspect the frame for damage."
Machmeter, thanks for the advice. I will make sure the mechanic does that.

"Barique Red?"
Come on e60lover, Barrique Red looks really good in person! I originally went in for a black one, but fell in love with this color. (And, I'm a girl so I can get away with a funny color).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry about the damage.
Its nice to know that you got out unhurt.

Some folks can be bitchy or probably she was just jealous of you and your car.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
flygirl said:
"I'm very glad you are ok, did the side airbags go off? Was there any notification on the dashboard?"
No, 330ximd, the airbags did not deploy. It suprised me that they didn't. Maybe they only work at higher speeds. There wasn't anything that I can remember on the dash (but I don't have iDrive so it may be different for those with it).

"Make sure the mechanics pull up the carpet to inspect the frame for damage."
Machmeter, thanks for the advice. I will make sure the mechanic does that.

"Barique Red?"
Come on e60lover, Barrique Red looks really good in person! I originally went in for a black one, but fell in love with this color. (And, I'm a girl so I can get away with a funny color).
Sorry, my post was misleading with the smiley. I like Barrique Red I was just wondering what color it was. lol :thumbup:

·
Registered
598 Posts
jillyjellyroll said:
glad that you are okay. sorry to hear that the woman doesn't seem to be the most thoughtful person. hopefully, the insurance company will total the car. :) (and i hope you got her insurance info!)
Glad to hear you made it out without injury but never in a million years would the insurance company consider a smashed door a total. Keep in mind you have to have damage that equals 80% the cars MSRP in order to be considered a total. For my car that would be $37K in damages.

·
17,965 Posts
How come your side/head airbags didn't deploy?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
The door was not opening so it is likely that the door frame is damaged and bent. I think and hope that the car is totalled.

·
Registered
356 Posts
+1 I am also surprised that the side airbags didn't go off as well. I thought it might be the angle but the X-terra hit her square on!

I am glad that you are allright!

Boile said:
How come your side/head airbags didn't deploy?

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
bmwexecutive said:
Glad to hear you made it out without injury but never in a million years would the insurance company consider a smashed door a total. Keep in mind you have to have damage that equals 80% the cars MSRP in order to be considered a total. For my car that would be $37K in damages.
I agree, there is no reason the insurance company will be totalling your car. They will replace the door and check for any subframe damage, and please make sure they do that, go to a reputable body shop, so that if they find any damage that the insurance company didn't find, they will notify the insurance company and fix it. Also, the other car's owner's insurance will take care of the rental car, but it will be a major hassle for you to deal w/, b/c there could be delays on the repair of your car. Make sure that your body shop keeps in contact w/ that insurance company as well so that you are fully covered w/in the body shop's time frame as well. I don't understand why the side airbags didn't deploy, that looks like it was a collision that warranted it, I would bring that up w/ your dealership or BMWNA. How are you feeling, did you feel any post accident pain? If you did, consult your doctor, ASAP. The other person's insurance is liable for any health/medical problems, and post accident pain occurs very frequently. Best of luck, keep us updated on your status and your car's. :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
flygirl said:
"Barique Red?"
Glad you are ok. Oh and by the way, great choice on the car color... my favorite :thumbup:

·
Registered
883 Posts
chuck92103 said:
Also, someone needs to explain why the side airbags did not deploy :dunno:
I'm only guessing here but it could be that there wasn't enough intrusion into the passenger compartment. Airbags have pretty nasty side effects when they go off. Steering wheel bags have killing driver sitting close to them is old news as are tales of lost digits but even in perfect deployments hearing damage (if the bang doesn't get your ears the sudden increase in air pressure with your windows closed will pop your eardrums) and eye damage is common (they go off faster than you can blink.)

Side airbags would have to be even more agressive since the distance to the driver is so much less.

A few years ago a kid we knew borrowed his dad's M5 and took out a concrete utility pole. Sliced into the right front corner almost to the wheelwell. But there was no intrusion into the passenger compartment and everybody walked away unscathed. The airbags didn't go off in that instance either. The passengers didn't need them.

Flygirl, sucks that your fresh car got smashed by a See You Next Thursday but know that you got full value for your purchase. Your car did what it was supposed to do and saved your ass. Glad that you're okay.

·
Registered
324 Posts
glad to hear you're okay! long live bimmers!

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I agree with the people mentioning the side airbags. When I first looked at the pictures, I was very curious as to why there wasn't any airbag deployment. At the very least, I expect the HPS curtain airbags to deploy so there wouldn't be as much glass all over the driver. As for the side airbags, maybe the sensitivity has something to do with the fact that BMW moved them to the seat as opposed to the door where it used to be (and where I think it should be) :dunno:

I've seen E46s with less side damage that had the door-mounted side airbags and HPS system go off.:eeps:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts