BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I'm new to posting threads, although I frequent them all the time. So here is the scoop. I have owned an automatic 1989 325i for years now. It blew up on me when I was younger and dumb..er :,( But the day has finally come for me to breath some life back into this joy of mine. I have just purchased a M50B25 non vanos motor that I plan on putting into my 325 as well as a manual transition . My question now is, does anyone have some links to any build threads that would be similar to what I am trying to do? I'm trying to open up a project type thread here,and will check my messages daily. This car is literally going to go from the ground up. Hope to hear from you guys soon:)

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me know if you guys need anymore information. I'm borrowing an engine hoist today to pull the rest of the old motor out and get my new one stored somewhere more safe then my trailer. I'll be putting about 200$-300$ a month into this till it gets done, so bear with me as this will take a while. But as I go I will take photos and post where I found my parts to help anyone else that is thinking about doing this M50B25 swap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. And trust me I have. But I have particular questions that don't necessarily fit those situation and I am not sure if what I'm reading actually Applies to me. Like for instance I've found people doing write ups on DIFFERENT motor swaps with detailed list for parts and such, granted they are pretty similar like a 318 to an M50B25 swap. But how many have I found being a 1989 325i to an M50B25 swap?( are they the same for the most part? Somewhat?? Or not at all?) You know? Back in the day I found one, but I stupidly did not save the link. So I'm searching still.

I mean I'm going to have a lot of questions and this is starting to actually happen and I was just hoping I could get some feedback, so thanks for being the first one to say something! :p they might even be stupid questions.. Like is it safe to leave my motor on a motor stand for prolonged amounts of time while I slowly work on it?

What kind of wiring harness do I need to safely convert things? Should I just make my own? I have a transition ( Manual ) but idk if it will work? How do you tell if it's a getrag (whatever #) and do I need some sort of adapter because I hear they don't just fit on straight, they have to be tilted?? I want to keep a good weight ratio does the motor need to be further back? If so how much?

I mean I'm not super close to putting the new motor in yet.. But it will be happening soon(ish). I'm going to tear this one down.. Replace head gaskets and pumps and all of the "basic-ish" kind of stuff. I do have the bently manual for all the torque specs.

And if I can't find them Google is a pretty good tool at my disposal. The PO ****ed up quite a bit of the wiring underneath the steering wheel, so I'm almost on the verge of stripping the inside and re wiring it so I know it's done right. But idk one step at a time.

There is a lot to do. But it's going to happen. Literally any information regarding this will help. And yes I do use the search tool on this site as well as many other BMW forums;) rev30 has a few M50B25 swaps but like previously said they are not going into a 325i. So yea that is where I am at right now. Thanks again:) hope to keep hearing from you guys.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hi Bobby,
Don't worry if the write-up is for a 318i, a different year, etc; it makes very little difference to the conversion process.

If you're using the gearbox from your old motor (the Getrag 260), you'll need a custom transmission support and to modify the shifter.
If you're using the E36 gearbox (ZF), I think a specific combination is needed for the driveshaft. And you'll want a taller diff ratio because the ZF isn't an overdrive gearbox.

Check out the bimmerfest wiki and e30dohc wiki:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_E30#Engine_swaps
https://web.archive.org/web/2014021...ohc.com/wiki/index.php?title=DOHC_Swap_Basics

Also, sorry if this sounds rude, but can you use paragraphs? Walls of text are hard to read, so people are less likely to reply.

Hope this helps,
Simon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does help Simon thanks :)
I will be sure to include paragraph breaks in here from now on as well, thanks for the heads up!

Sorry about taking a few days to reply, Valentine's Day and studying for tests have kept me a little preoccupied. I'll read over those forums once I get a little time tonight and post up any new arising questions that might not have been answered by those links.

Thanks again:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So here is the transition I have. I am assuming it is a GETRAG 260 based off of the first 3 numbers below.

Metal Font

Unfortunately my garage had a water leak I wasn't aware of so the internals are quite rusted.. I forgot to take a picture of the damage but I'll upload some tomorrow probably. I'm thinking I'm going to have to either source a new one or try and see if a local shop can clean this one up for me.

Any recommendations on if that is worth it or not? Any one recommend a different transmission all together?
I'm pretty decent at working and figuring out cars and motors, but when it comes to gear ratios and dif. Displacements? Clutch stages.. Tranny types.. It has mostly evaded me so far.

Another thing I noticed on the motor head (the back side) was a small area about the size of an Oreo , maybe a little larger, was covered in some weird off white looking putty..hard as rock. But looked like it was smeared on at one point..I'm hoping this wasn't some type of patch putty crap. But again I forgot to snap a pic of that too, so tomorrow I'll upload them.

Fist steps with this new motor that I finally got out of my trailer and onto a stand will be some deep cleaning then some basic gaskets and pulleys (seeing how mine are chewed up and bent from some dummy) .. I'm open to any good ideas about preliminary checks and run throughs before I get this motor in. I'm also not above replacing any major components if anyone thinks it would be a good idea..
I mention that because unfortunately I do not know the history of the motor. Aside from that it was in an accident. (Was told it wasn't a major one though from the wholesale dealer, idk if he can be 100$ trust worthy and for 500$ with no visual damage being noticed at that time I decided to risk it.)

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Car

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually... I found an image where you can see the putty looking stuff I was taking about..

Vehicle

It's pretty obvious where it is, but just incase you don't see it, look directly below that white barcode sticker. If anyone knows what this is or what it could be.. Please let me know:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info sixpot. Here is the latest picture update. I have the valve cover off so that I may replace the gasket. I tested my coil packs with a multimeter and they held at 2.2-2.4ohms .. Or at least I believe it to be ohms. I'll include a picture of the setting I used. I have a Bentley manual but is for my 89 325i so that's no help and I didn't find anyone posting the specific range for these guys. Granted I did see someone post about an e36 having a range of about .4-.8ohms.. Am I way high? Is that bad?? I'll continue looking for those answers myself but if any of you know, feel free to chime in.

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Rocker cover

Another question pertaining that first picture. You see that black cover over the top crank shaft.. Aren't there supposed to be two of them, one for each side?? If so would it do any harm at all to not have both on there?? If yes, then I'll have to try and source one. But I don't want to go through that effort if it's not even worth it.

Electronics Technology Measuring instrument Electronic device

And here is the picture of the setting used with the multimeter.. It is currently pointing downwards just incase you can't see the dot pointer. . The range i got started at 2.4 then after maybe 5 seconds dropped to 2.3 then about 30 seconds following that it dropped again to 2.2. I didn't hold them on there for any longer then that to see if they would continue dropping. But if you think I should I will.

I inspected the coils and there are no crack or obvious sines of damage but I hear that you can't really test the secondary resistance without the aid of a decently expensive meter. The boots are trash.. The bottoms are all split and falling apart. So those will be getting replaced. I do need some feedback on what people think this is...

Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Car

It's hard as rock and makes me worried.. Hah hope to hear from you guys soon:) and more over to get this motor into my 325;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome that is good news! I'll open it up and check the inside and I guess just do some light sanding to remove the rust on the other parts:) thanks for the info. I was worried..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good idea.. I've been booked with finals coming up, but I'll have some time soon to get into cleaning that sucker up. I'll post pics of how clean it gets when I'm done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea I wasn't planning on going nuts with it.. just going to try to remove most of the surface rust. still been crazy busy, but I appreciate you guys for still checking in on me from time to time. I promise as soon as there is any progress along with any questions I might have ill let you guys know. (that shouldn't be too long from now).. :thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys sorry it's been so long since my last post.. Little update I'm saving up some $$ for a guy I met on re3limit who will custom fabricate my tranny mount and Shifter rod for 150$ if you guys know of another way aside from a custom fabrication that I can do myself for cheaper feel free to chime in. Unfortunately I don't have a welder so I can't do that part myself(unless there is a way to do it w/o welding) As soon as I get the money and the part comes back from the guy I'll post with the new motor and tranny going into the car. Thanks again for the support.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts