BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to create a playlist on a USB drive to be recognized on a 550 USB port? I can put the music in folders on the USB drive and play the music, but I would like to put them in a playlist, so I can change the order. Thanks.

· Premium Member
165 Posts
If I remember correctly this is how I did mine.

1) Create your playlist in iTunes or Windows Media Player.
2) Export it to your thumbdrive in the .m3u format.
3) Open the playlist with a text editor and use "find and replace" to update/change the paths to the music files so that they match what's on your thumbdrive.

On my thumbdrive all of the music is right off of the root directory so the path to a song looks something like this.

f:\\artist1\song1.mp3

When I export my playlists from my computer the paths to the music look something like this...

m:\\music\artist1\song1.mp3

On the thumbdrive the paths in the playlists need to be updated so that they look like this...

..\artist1\song1.mp3
..\artist2\song2.mp3

I can't remember if I put the playlists on the root of the thumbdrive or if I have them in a folder called "playlists" on the thumbdrive but I can check that later if you need me to. The key is to make sure you have the paths correct in the playlists on the thumbdrive and reference them with ..\ instead of a drive letter like c:\\

· Alpina Addict
1,366 Posts
Or you use the great PC freeware "Playlist Creator" from oddgravity, which allows you to create playlists directly from the contents on your USB drive.
Check under options the correct format for the file path (create a test playlist with just a few titles) Absolute paths will work too, it's just important that no Windows Drive letter is included in it as already mentioned above.

· Premium Member
165 Posts
Here's my current configuration.

I have a 32 GB HP thumbdrive plugged into the usb port in the center console.
My plalists are in a folder called "playlist" on the thumbdrive.
My plalists are in the .m3u format. eg. playlistname.m3u
To access the playlists I select the thumbdrive via the iDrive menu and then navigate to the playlists menu option. When I click on the playlists icon I can see a list of the playlists that I have in the "playlist" folder.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's my current configuration.

I have a 32 GB HP thumbdrive plugged into the usb port in the center console.
My plalists are in a folder called "playlist" on the thumbdrive.
My plalists are in the .m3u format. eg. playlistname.m3u
To access the playlists I select the thumbdrive via the iDrive menu and then navigate to the playlists menu option. When I click on the playlists icon I can see a list of the playlists that I have in the "playlist" folder.
Lanman! THANK YOU! The key was having a folder named "playlist" as you listed above. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

· BMW's Since 1989
394 Posts
Does anyone know how to create a playlist on a USB drive to be recognized on a 550 USB port? I can put the music in folders on the USB drive and play the music, but I would like to put them in a playlist, so I can change the order. Thanks.
Audiobooks?

I have no problem using the USB port to install music playlists on my F10's hard drive. Just make a folder for each playlist, move the music into it from iTunes, place the folder on the USB drive, and voila it installs easily and ready for use on the car's hard drive.

On the other hand, this exact same technique doesn't work for me when I try to load Audiobooks. The car's system simply doesn't see the file when I try to upload it to the car. Audiobooks work perfectly from my installed iPod, but I would like the flexibility to use the car's hard drive as well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

· Registered
20 Posts
This is an old thread, but someone can help?

I use a USB drive and generally everything works, both searching using metadata and playlists. However, iDrive doesn't pick up all playlists on the drive...

I have about 50 playlists I'd like to sync, but after finding and presenting 28 playlists, no more turn up. I even try deleting some of the ones that have been identified, in case there is some issue with full memory. These disappear, but no new ones appear.

I am 100% certain that the playlists are "correct" in terms of path, \ version, etc., and I have tried exporting them using both Playlist Export and Doubletwist.

Any ideas how to solve this?

· Registered
120 Posts
mine doesn't work correctly either. I have about 50 folders on the usb stick. one playlist in each folder (each folder is for an artist and each playlist is all the tracks for that artist). after some indexing about 8 playlists appear but that still leaves about 42 missing playlists. I created all playlists with a perl program so they have the correct syntax and the 8 so far displayed work fine.

It's impossible to know if the car is still indexing, has given up with an error or what, since there is no indication that it is doing indexing and how far through the usb stick the indexing is. The USB stick has been in the car about three weeks now so you would think it would have done the indexing by now!

· slickrick2
142 Posts
I bought a small micro 32GB USB drive. On my iMac I formatted the drive fat. I opened the drive and made several folders, about thirty. I opened iTunes and looked for my music playlist. Once I figured which ones I wanted I renamed the folder to that song list and highlighted all the songs in the iTunes playlist and dragged it to the folder. I did that for all the folders and music I wanted. Once I plug the USB into my USB in the car all of the folders show up as a play list. I'll try and take photos for you if that will help..

· Registered
20 Posts
Hi, the problem isn't migrating playlists from iTunes to the USB drive, there are many apps that do that and take care of the paths, etc. The problem seems to be that iDrive has a limit to how many playlists it can handle. Would be interesting to know if someone has been able to use more than 30+ playlists.

· BMW's Since 1989
394 Posts
Hi, the problem isn't migrating playlists from iTunes to the USB drive, there are many apps that do that and take care of the paths, etc. The problem seems to be that iDrive has a limit to how many playlists it can handle. Would be interesting to know if someone has been able to use more than 30+ playlists.
iDrive can handle it. I have about 100 playlists on my iPod Nano connected via the USB port in the console compartment. Works fine.

· Registered
1,984 Posts
iDrive can handle it. I have about 100 playlists on my iPod Nano connected via the USB port in the console compartment. Works fine.
Your Nano is handling the playlists. The issue is with playlists on a USB drive.

I don't have any issues with my 2014, but what I would recommend to anyone having problems is to remove the playlists that show up and see if iDrive picks up any of the playlists that currently don't show up. This would rule out issues with the playlists. Also, some brands of USB sticks work better than others with iDrive.

· Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

I can also confirm that an iPod has no problems with my 50 playlists (although it is an iPod classic, it's the only one big enough to hold my whole library, and the hard-drive based iPod keep crashing with iDrive, hence the attempt to get a USB drive to work).

I have tried gradually removing one by one the playlists that do get recognized, but that did not trigger iDrive to pick up any of the others.

· Registered
20 Posts
Update on my experimentation:

To test how iDrive indexes the USB drive, I loaded a new drive with 50 playlists (about 7,000 tracks). It took about 1 hour 45 minutes to index the tracks, and after that playlists started showing up. First one, then 4-5 more, and finally it stopped at 19 out of 50. I could see no pattern to how the playlists were identified; not alphabetically, not by size, date added to the drive, etc., and the 19 that did show up seem randomly selected.

This is quite contrary to how tracks are indexed, where one can see the progress by viewing titles under Various genres, that follows the file names, starting from 01 xxx and onward.

As part of this test, iDrive also managed to loose the indexing of my primary drive, so that is now being re-indexed. At 15,000 tracks, it'll probably take 4-5 hours, but I am curious to see whether the same selected playlists show up this time around.

I'd love to understand the logic behind iDrive's treatment of playlists!

· Registered
18 Posts
Missing playlists - how I solved it

Hello all,

I too used to have issues with all my playlists not showing up. I have about 5,000 songs and 40 playlists.

iDrive is case sensitive. Make sure you playlist has the path and song names using the same case. If any song is not found, or your playlist has a pathname in a different case than what is on the USB stick it will not show up.

For example my Music lives in:
\Music\Artist\Album\Songname.mp3

If the playlist references the following it will not show up.
\music\artists\album\songname.mp3

Notice how \Music and \music etc. are different.

All the songs in the playlist must be found, and the case must be exact. As far as the order that playlist shows up. That's still a mystery to me.

Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.