Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Chewbaca is a pimp!
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I back out of my driveway, or when I drive to the top of my parking garage (sloped to flat transition), I hear a creeking noise from the rear as if the body is flexing (only a slight noise). I have a 2000 Ci and the car has been rigid up until 4 or so months ago.

Does anybody else expience this? Can anything be done. It's one of those things that bug me, and I can't stop listening for it...driving me crazy....:banghead:

·
Chewbaca is a pimp!
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey TD - seems to be one of those "normal" things that I'll have to deal with. Seems the E46 has a few of those unfortunately.

And, the Universal Transmitter works like a charm...thanks...

T

·
0 Posts
Jim Seattle said:
Hey TD - seems to be one of those "normal" things that I'll have to deal with. Seems the E46 has a few of those unfortunately.

And, the Universal Transmitter works like a charm...thanks...
Cool. I couldn't just let it get traded in with the car you know.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
I experience a similar noise on my 325i in the same situation. I'm actually failry certain its one or more of the following:
-the fold down seats rubbing slightly against each other-- although i actually think this is not so much the culprit as the others
-the underside of the rear seat cushion squeaking against the plastic piece that goes underneath and is alos part of the door sill trim (Atleast on the sedan)
-the rear deck and rear reading lights. There are all sorts of things about the rear deck that make noise:
-the plastic that its made of is cheap and flexy-- and it will make noises if you press on it. it doesn't take much to make it flex and creak
-the child seat tether anchors mounted on the rear shelf- if you press or tocuh these you'll see that they interact w/ the rear deck to make creaking squeaking noises
-the rear vent (just below the back window), also interacts badly w/ the rear shelf
-The reading lights mounted on the c pillar squeak if you press on them.

There may be other culprits- but these appear to be the main ones-- try it on your own car and you'll see. I don't know why BMW felt the need to do such a bad job on the whole whole rear deck area and why the rear deck has to be so flimsy feeling. Did it really save them so much money to do that? :banghead:

I think if you really wanted to, you could quell a lot of E46 noises, by taking apart this whole area and lining said parts w/ felt and/or dynamat. I almost got to that point- but since then have decided to just chill out about it. It just frustrating because it was be so cheap and simple for them do just do it right-- take a look at older BMWs in this area (inlduing the e36), and you'll see how its should have been done. dumbasses. Same thing w/ the stupid B pillar seatblet mount clicking.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Seems like your having the same problem. The sound I hear seems to be coming from outside the car. I only heard it last night so I haven't had the chance to try to locate the source. I just don't want to be driving and have me wheels fall off. :D

·
TMS Grand-AM Cup Crew
457 Posts
Same Creaking, but from Sunroof

I get a creaking when I bake out of my driveway aswell. (sloped surface to street). However, the noise comes from the Sunroof.

any ideas?

·
Here since day one
7,180 Posts
I have no clue if my 330Ci does it (though it probably does) but I remember my 93 & 95 Corvette used to creak on certain driveways.

No need to stress Jim, I'm sure they all do it . . . unless you get a sedan without a folding seat then maybe you've got a shot at it not squeaking . . .

One thing I've seriously am not OCD over anymore are squeaks and rattles !!!

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
If this is a new problem, there are several possible causes

-Trim loose somewhere, folding seats
-Shock Mounts
-Shock Mount Spacers (causing creaking in my car)
-Anti-Roll bar bushings, mounts
-Trailing arm bushings
-Subframe loose or torn

Probably the shock mounts and/or spacers, I would guess

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
nate328Ci said:
If this is a new problem, there are several possible causes

-Trim loose somewhere, folding seats
-Shock Mounts
-Shock Mount Spacers (causing creaking in my car)
-Anti-Roll bar bushings, mounts
-Trailing arm bushings
-Subframe loose or torn

Probably the shock mounts and/or spacers, I would guess
I too have noticed a slight creek:(

Are the shock mount/spacer adjustments something that the dealer is going to tell me is normal, they don't hear it or they can't do anything about:dunno: :banghead:

Should be going in soon for pedal and want to get me list togother.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
johnlew said:
I noticed some water in the creek :)
ha ha ha

I guess you had the dog out playing:p Good thing the towel was in the car to protect the seat:)

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
My car does it too under almost those identical circumstances. Of course I've been flogging mine around a racetrack too, if that won't loosen things up I don't know what will.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
i've got them too on my 323ci. asked the dealer about them and of course they said "what noise?", "oh that", "that's normal." bugs the hell outa me. all sorts of little noises here and there. lately it's been the fricken driver's side coupe weatherstripping that just don't stay in place. after 3 attempts, it's still not completely fixed!!! :banghead: :mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts