BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Is that a diesel?
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted this on the 3 series forum. Re-posting it here for those who only check the diesel forum. Tried listening to the engine sound but at that speed I couldn't tell whether it was a diesel.

I was driving on the freeway and spotted a brand new BMW that had a 320d badge. It didn't even have the number plates yet. The car was in front/ beside me for 30 miles so there was no mistaking the badge. It was being driven by a lady and her husband and teenage son (presumably). I tried to get their attention but couldn't quite line up next to them when traffic stopped. Managed to write "320d?" on a piece of paper when traffic stopped, the guy just looked amused at me and smiled (probably thinking who the hell is this guy trying to keep up with me :eeps: ). The car didn't have a DEF port on the side (one way to make out the 335d). The exhaust was on one side only, so not a 335. Attaching a picture, doesn't show the badge clearly though.

Is there any way you can bring the car here (diplomats may be?) or did the person remove the 328i badge and put a 320d? :dunno:

Interesting day as I saw another 335d on the LA freeway for the first time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
I had posted this on the 3 series forum. Re-posting it here for those who only check the diesel forum. Tried listening to the engine sound but at that speed I couldn't tell whether it was a diesel.
Great spying! Well, what I do know is that you can buy a 320d anywhere in Latin America or Mexico, then drive it on up as a tourist.

Good luck ever trying to officially introduce it into the country unless it meets US EPA and DOT or you have to have it modified at great expense.

Can't you get the 320d in Canada?

I can make out Bob Smith on the plate, that is a dealer in Calabasas, Ca. Obviously they have something to do with it.

Why would anybody rebadge it? Maybe it's a factory error!:eek:

·
Registered
908 Posts
May be BMW is testing it here in US soil. BMW said they are going to launch 2 more models and may be its one of them. But why would they use dealer plates for that
Or it has to be some previous owner of 320d in EU who liked it so much that he rebadged 328 to 320d.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.