BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
revirD detangiseD
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marc, Ron, Randy, et al;

I picked up the "cruise control kit" yesterday from my local dealer.

The kit P/N 65 71 1 007 353, consisted of:

1 ea. 61 31 8 360 926 cruise control switch
1 ea. 61 31 1 390 968 cover (English)
1 ea. 65 71 8 380 054 FCR interface (not for S54 motor)
1 ea. 61 13 1 382 130 bracket
1 ea. 17 11 1 709 419 plastic nut
5 ea. 61 13 1 368 599 cable tie 5 inch long

Included were the instructions, "Installation instructions for retrofit installation of cruise control in BMW Z3 2.3 roadster vehicles beginning MY99 (LEV engine with EML electronic throttle)"

and "Addendum to (above title) concerning retrofit of cruise control kit in MY BMW Z3 2.3 roadster vehicles built prior to 4/99 with manual transmission"

Reading through the instructions it appears all the other cruise control pieces required (control unit, actuator, bowden cable, clutch switch, actuator support plate, wiring, etc.) are assumed to be already installed in the vehicle. The addendum deals with replacing a two wire clutch switch with a three wire switch. Instructions also require coding the vehicle via a DIS - visit to dealer required.

At this point it looks like I have two options. One, stop right now and take the kit back and pay the restocking charge. Or two, find or buy the remaining parts along with finding a local Z3 owner whose vehicle has cruise (to look at as a "go by").

What's your opinions? I'm not shy about tearing my vehicle apart for mods/fixes; been there done that many times. I guess I just have to justify the worth of the project.

Here's some pics of the kit.

Joe

Attachments

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Joe,

Later on today, I'll try to get some pictures of the control module, cable/cable connection @ throttle body and electrical connections.

It will be up to you to determine if you want to spend the money to follow through ;)

The underhood components look to be a really simple retrofit (assuming you have the cable/connector already in your wiring harness).

·
revirD detangiseD
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just looked under my hood. There's no extra conector in the harness for the actuator, the big round one with the twist on shell. I looked under the hood of a '97 328iC that's in the driveway (I'm replacing a friend's top motor) and the plug is pretty obvious.

Some pics of the installation in a Z would be very nice.

Joe

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
JoeBimmmer said:
Included were the instructions, "Installation instructions for retrofit installation of cruise control in BMW Z3 2.3 roadster vehicles beginning MY99 (LEV engine with EML electronic throttle)"

At this point it looks like I have two options. One, stop right now and take the kit back and pay the restocking charge.
Joe
Your car doesn't have the EML electronic throttle.

Since your parts guy confirmed that the kit contained the parts in the diagram I would think you would get a full refund.

·
revirD detangiseD
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ron Stygar said:
Your car doesn't have the EML electronic throttle.
True, true. The only part that was in the kit that had to do with the EML is the interface harness, the switch I could use. Anyhow, the restocking charge is still less than a case of Warsteiner Dunkle. I guess I could swallow that much ; ).
Maybe I'll look for a steel grey M roadster w/cruise.

·
Marine Fish Wrangler
198 Posts
Hi there Joe,
Thanks for the update. Looks like the retrofit kit isn't a complete as I had hoped. :(
I guess I'll have to keep looking for a crashed car from which I can salvage the entire cruise control unit from.
Any ideas on where to look?

Cheers
marc

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
AussieZ3 said:
Hi there Joe,
Thanks for the update. Looks like the retrofit kit isn't a complete as I had hoped. :(
What else would you need? Your car has the EML electronic throttle.
Buy Joe's kit and see if it will work on your car.

·
Marine Fish Wrangler
198 Posts
Ron Stygar said:
Ron,
Forgive me as my technical knowledge is limited (make that non existant :cry: ), but I am assuming that the parts that Joe mentioned ie (control unit, actuator, bowden cable, clutch switch, actuator support plate, wiring, etc.) are also absent on my vehicle, or is this not the case? :dunno:
He also listed the part 65 71 8 380 054 FCR interface (not for S54 motor)?

cheers mate
Marc

·
revirD detangiseD
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AussieZ3 said:
Ron,
cheers mate
Marc
For what it's worth: The "not for S54 motor" note was handwritten by someone on the original instructions beside the listing for the interface. A Xerox copy of the original was with the kit.

I don't think you would need the actuator or bowden cable, etc. with the electronic throttle. Never having seen one I picture a servo motor on the throttle butterfly taking position signals from the computer/gas pedal/cruise control. Is that right, Ron?
Joe

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
JoeBimmmer said:
For what it's worth: The "not for S54 motor" note was handwritten by someone on the original instructions beside the listing for the interface. A Xerox copy of the original was with the kit.

I don't think you would need the actuator or bowden cable, etc. with the electronic throttle. Never having seen one I picture a servo motor on the throttle butterfly taking position signals from the computer/gas pedal/cruise control. Is that right, Ron?
Joe

·
revirD detangiseD
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ron, you are a fount of BMW knowledge! What pub is that from? Repair instructions are okay, but a good technical manual is something else!

·
Marine Fish Wrangler
198 Posts
Ron Stygar said:
So Joe,
Are you interested in selling mate? :D

Marc

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
JoeBimmmer said:
Ron, you are a fount of BMW knowledge! What pub is that from? Repair instructions are okay, but a good technical manual is something else!
It's from the E46/M3 Complete Vehicle Service Training Manual. The 20 or so begining pages are at Dale's Image page starting with s54b32: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/

You can purcase the hard copy from Central Letter Shop in NJ. 800-695-0079. Part number ST-041 $75.
www.centrallettershop.com/cdhtml
You could also download it for $25 per day from:
http://www.bmwtis.com/
Not sure if you still can.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
JoeBimmmer said:

Joe

·
Marine Fish Wrangler
198 Posts
Ron Stygar said:
Thanks again Ron :thumbup:

Your cup runneth over!

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts

·
Marine Fish Wrangler
198 Posts
I tell you what the funny thing about this is if the kit works. That cruise control was a 275 pound (about $550 US) option from the factory on order, yet it can be retrofitted for less than half!

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Interface

AussieZ3 said:
Ron,
Marc
Though the EPC doesn't show this, I just checked my car and it uses the 65 71 8 380 054 interface. It's under the dash on the drivers side (LHD) just above the EWS unit.

·
revirD detangiseD
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AussieZ3 said:
So Joe,
Are you interested in selling mate? :D

Marc
PM'ed you.

·
Marine Fish Wrangler
198 Posts
Do BMW guys know it all?

Ron, Joe and everyone,

The saga continues :tsk:
A few days ago I email the dealer asking him about what we can do to fit this cruise control. He tells me he'll ask his tech guys. They say no retrofit can be made to work. OK I think (despite the fact that this is poss for US S54's :yikes: )

I then ask him if he can remove the cruise from another "donor" car (another S54)and fit it to mine. Tech guys come back and say it's not possible :thumbdwn: .
I cannot for the life of me understand how this is not possible. :mad:
What is so fundamentally different, that can't be transplanted? Simply looks like a lever and a couple of cables to me. (Must be more to it then).

From the info that I've gather that Ron has posted, the EML is the governing factor, as if the kit can plug straight into it, shouldn't that be the end of that.

Do these guys really know what are talking about, or do you think they are blowing me off to save doing a little work? Alternatively, do you think they are saying its not possible to retrofit (even though it might be able to) so that people spend more money on options??

Worst thing is I don't even have the car yet to try to look for myself.
Ron, I might have to get that tech manual you linked to and figure this out somehow.
Is it even possible to DIY?
At rough guess does the lever connect to the interface which then plugs into the EML?

I am seriously p!$$ed off at the moment.

Ps Ron, I couldn't PM Vinny about his retrofit, as I need 10 posts. :(

Marc

1 - 20 of 32 Posts