BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Look at the light next to the needle change colors and stuff!!! Also the stuff being said in the bottom left is so damn cool as well as in the HUD!!!

I even tried the headlight washer jets for the first time and it was so powerful and solid. All I wanted really was the engine and some of the look but all the features are just insane!

I was messing with the buttons while filming and driving (this huge car) that's why it didn't look consistent.

Pressing up on the left hand middle steering wheel thing makes it go up by 5 or by 1. I'm not sure what makes it go up and down faster as I didn't do too much testing. I assume holding it for 0.5 seconds vs 0.1 makes a difference.

This is amazing!! Basically, you can press set on cruise say doing 50mph and it would lock it. If it's on it stays green. If it's deactivated but "on" it's red and ready for a button press. I really wanted to do more testing but I don't really care about cruise control. It automatically turns Sport+ to Sport with cruise. I haven't tried cruise with the other modes but I assume it would stay at that mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThuzVR2mmX4

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Try park assist if you have it. The damn thing will self park for you. :rofl: or at the least steer for you. Try stop and go assist, it keeps a distance, and when it comes to a full stop, all you have to do is move the lever on the left steering wheel and it resumes. You have the butt massage? It's a little lame but works. Try the gentleman's button. My wife no longer adjust her seats for herself. Try the night vision. You can actually see people's heat signature.;)

Try driving with your eyes close. Wait, don't do that with a F0x. :rofl: It does not have keep lane feature.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Try park assist if you have it. The damn thing will self park for you. :rofl: or at the least steer for you. Try stop and go assist, it keeps a distance, and when it comes to a full stop, all you have to do is move the lever on the left steering wheel and it resumes. You have the butt massage? It's a little lame but works. Try the gentleman's button. My wife no longer adjust her seats for herself. Try the night vision. You can actually see people's heat signature.;)

Try driving with your eyes close. Wait, don't do that with a F0x. :rofl: It does not have keep lane feature.
Yeah, I don't have that. I don't even have cold weather. It basically has all the other cold weather items except the heated rear seats and heated steering wheel. I thought headlight water jets and heated seats were only for cold weather.. Maybe the headlight water jets aren't heated and the car was a smoker package but the smoke compartments look great in the back. Without I think it would just be plain.

What's the gentlemans button? It doesn't have massage and it didn't come with night vision. I did use it on the 2016 750i in an NYC event. I felt like the night vision did absolutely nothing. It's just straight view so anything at beyond field of view left and right isn't seen.

Mine has lane deparature, blind spot, the front camera detection which brakes automatically.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Gentleman's button controls the passenger front seat so you can adjust for your lady or passenger.
I should do that while they are in the seat. :p

That's a funny name though, I like it and will use that somehow in other areas of life.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts

Do you have self park? How is it overall?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yes. I think it is called park assist. Despite not a full service parallel park because you still have to move the shifter and brake pedal, the car tells you when to stop when it finds an open spot, when to reverse, when to brake, and when to put it into drive. It steers automatically. It is very accurate!! And just about everyone who sees it in action has wide eyes. The only problem (minor) is that you have to get yourself out of the tight spot. But with pdc and surround camera, this big boat is easy to drive.:thumbup: Plus, IAS makes it a dream to drive and maneuver at almost any speed limit.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes. I think it is called park assist. Despite not a full service parallel park because you still have to move the shifter and brake pedal, the car tells you when to stop when it finds an open spot, when to reverse, when to brake, and when to put it into drive. It steers automatically. It is very accurate!! And just about everyone who sees it in action has wide eyes. The only problem (minor) is that you have to get yourself out of the tight spot. But with pdc and surround camera, this big boat is easy to drive.:thumbup: Plus, IAS makes it a dream to drive and maneuver at almost any speed limit.
I just wish I could activate top-down camera while going forward instead of just side bumpers. Also the lack of the front camera sucks. The car is so big it's hard to tell if it's inside the box without going into to reverse gear from a forward pull-in. With the 545i I could be off the center of the road but with this, the amount of driving precision goes up as well as my awareness of where the edges of the vehicle are to the lanes. I could run the 545i directly on the line all day long on the highway but with this, I'm not sure if it's due to the new steering system design or it's size.

Also the cruise control is great when trying to speed limit lock. It's like an automatic pit road speed limiter. The HUD is also great at night that when a police is following, I just look at the speed limit next to the actual MPH and keep it within speed spec. I should use it more often though for regular driving but it always kills Sports+ into Sport.

You know how the DS/M left automatically goes right when P is pressed? When the paddles are used the lever should automatically go to DS/M. I assume if a lot of the "easy" stuff that I thought of became factory the resell value of these cars would have been wayyyyyyyyyyyy more.

·
Registered
832 Posts
You just press the PDC button next to the shifter if you want top view when parking without going into reverse, I have coded mine so it stays on for like 500m and at any speed. Very useful feature of this car, well worth the money it cost to retrofit it!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I thought parking assist is only available w/o IAS...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You just press the PDC button next to the shifter if you want top view when parking without going into reverse, I have coded mine so it stays on for like 500m and at any speed. Very useful feature of this car, well worth the money it cost to retrofit it!
oh, that..

I ran test and mycarly says I have something faulty in the front. Maybe the PDC wasn't connected or 1 camera is down. We got the car like this. If weather looks good I will pull the front bumper and fix the things inside tomorrow. If everything worked the car would have cost way more.

I keep getting PDC malfunction when I go into reverse or press that button so it never occured to me that, that would be the button to show top-down view.

I don't want BMW to touch it yet as they would have to probably connect something and charge $500+ for due to labor. Checking myself then handing it off the BMW is the sequence. Used to go to BMW for other mechanical fluid problems but they couldn't find it. Had to swap a new engine to the 545i after spending tons on diagnostics when I said day 1 it could be the bearing in the engine and it was. Also they didn't know what was wrong with the car and we spent tons of time on that. I found out the transmission fluid was bad, the one that is labeled "lifetime oil". Changed that myself in the driveway w/o doing any solenoids and it ran like brand new.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
oh, that..

I ran test and mycarly says I have something faulty in the front. Maybe the PDC wasn't connected or 1 camera is down. We got the car like this. If weather looks good I will pull the front bumper and fix the things inside tomorrow. If everything worked the car would have cost way more.

I keep getting PDC malfunction when I go into reverse or press that button so it never occured to me that, that would be the button to show top-down view.

I don't want BMW to touch it yet as they would have to probably connect something and charge $500+ for due to labor. Checking myself then handing it off the BMW is the sequence. Used to go to BMW for other mechanical fluid problems but they couldn't find it. Had to swap a new engine to the 545i after spending tons on diagnostics when I said day 1 it could be the bearing in the engine and it was. Also they didn't know what was wrong with the car and we spent tons of time on that. I found out the transmission fluid was bad, the one that is labeled "lifetime oil". Changed that myself in the driveway w/o doing any solenoids and it ran like brand new.
Your car isn't under 4yr/50k warranty?

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
How many miles do you have?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
How many miles do you have?

545i had 245k (uber) but lost it due to an accidental hydrolock. Damn, I was flooring it in the wet that day too and it was powerful! No suspension problems at all. RAV4 front left, Toyota said the front strut was leaking and needs to be replaced. We got that vehicle new too.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
You never thought about picking up extended warranty? or have you already?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
You never thought about picking up extended warranty? or have you already?
We had it on the 545i but the only thing that needed to be replaced was the engine. Parents were like we are doing 15k oil changes no matter what. It bust, now the are paranoid changing every 4k. I'm like 6-8k but I think the best would be 5k. We drive nice and easy though.

I wanted warranty but it would have been $2800.

I can do all the accessories myself, which I had to change on the 545i because the bearings of them were worn and making noise. All of them, the power steering, AC, alternator, water pump, tensioner. That stuff is easy as long as the stuff that needs to be out of the way is. Also the transmission fluid change was simple. Just drop the transmission cover/filter. Install the new one then pump in new fluid (designed for that transmission or you will have torque converter problems due to viscosity/pressure) until a few fluids drop leak out. Wait for it until it stops leaking (Level surface of course, I used 4 cheap tiny bubble levelers from ebay) and replug the hole. Go through the transmission selectable gears, all of them a few times before driving off under normal engine temperature (warm-up/revving). Done.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Oh, OK.

·
Registered
832 Posts
oh, that..

You can check camera connectors without pulling bumper, just unscrew the wheel arch liners from the bumper. Although if you have PDC error then it's most likely a sensor gone down.

I buy cheap and fix everything myself, get yourself a laptop with Rheingold installed, you can all the dealer level diagnostics and service procedures yourself, a priceless bit of kit for a 7 owner!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I thought parking assist is only available w/o IAS...
It is available with IAS and ARS. My car's vin is D131826. (bmwarchive.org). I wish I had rear entertainment so my kids would stop bugging me about switching channels/music.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts