BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Marine Fish Wrangler
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Can cruise control be retrofitted to an 02 roadster.

I am aware this was standard in the US, but my car is a UK model RH drive.
Dealer is unsure but thinks not. Something about an electronic throttle not a cable one as per S50.

·
Looking for a project car
487 Posts
AussieZ3 said:
Hi there,

Dealer is unsure but thinks not. Something about an electronic throttle not a cable one as per S50.
If you could find a doner car you may be able to do it. I retrofitted cruise control into my '96 318ti using the parts out of a soon to be race car. It was a lot of work even with directions. I'm not sure I'd take the project on again.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
AussieZ3 said:
Hi there,

The kit shown in the following pic retails for $119.00. Install labor is listed at 1 hour 15 minutes. No coding required. Not sure if it will work on UK or RHD cars.

·
Marine Fish Wrangler
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that guys.

Ron,
Any idea if that part is still available?
What does the MY stand for?

Regards

·
revirD detangiseD
278 Posts
Ron;

Do you think it would work on a MY 00 roadster? I notice it only mentions 02 M's.

Joe

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
JoeBimmmer said:
Ron;

Do you think it would work on a MY 00 roadster? I notice it only mentions 02 M's.

Joe
Don't know. The next statement in the bulletin says: The "Z3 2.3 Cruise Control Kit"
(PN 65 71 0 007 353) accomodates both the Z3 2.3 roadster (from MY '99 production) and MY '02 M roadster.
You could buy one and see. $89.25 from a retail minus 25% parts guy.

·
revirD detangiseD
278 Posts
Hmmmmm. . . . I just happen to have some $$$ burning a hole in my pocket. I've been looking for a new mod that would really be beneficial. (and recently the town polizei have been writing speeding summons like there was no tomorrow)Thanks, Ron !

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
JoeBimmmer said:
Hmmmmm. . . . I just happen to have some $$$ burning a hole in my pocket. I've been looking for a new mod that would really be beneficial. (and recently the town polizei have been writing speeding summons like there was no tomorrow)Thanks, Ron !
If the kit doesn't come with the instructions, let me know and I'll send them to you.

·
revirD detangiseD
278 Posts
Thanks ! I'm gonna call my local parts man tomorrow & see if it is still available.:D

·
revirD detangiseD
278 Posts
Ron;

My parts man looked up the kit. Found that there were possibily only eight left in the system. The kit did not have a listing of what it contained but it did show a picture sort of. Looked like a module, a couple cables and some adapters (?). He said it did sound like a small amount of $$ for a complete cruise control system tho'. Sounds like you'd still need the actuator assembly under the hood and the switch etc. for the steering column.
I imagine that you could still locate the missing pieces (if you knew what was missing).

Joe

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
JoeBimmmer said:
Ron;

My parts man looked up the kit. Found that there were possibily only eight left in the system. The kit did not have a listing of what it contained but it did show a picture sort of. Looked like a module, a couple cables and some adapters (?). He said it did sound like a small amount of $$ for a complete cruise control system tho'. Sounds like you'd still need the actuator assembly under the hood and the switch etc. for the steering column.
I imagine that you could still locate the missing pieces (if you knew what was missing).

Joe
The kit shows it coming with the steering wheel switch, cable, module and misc. hardware. Doesn't mention needing anything else. The switch separately retails for $64.25 so it probably does come with the kit.
Will check later today when I get back from my emissions check.

·
revirD detangiseD
278 Posts
Ron;

I've looked throughout all my CD's (TIS, ETK and wiring diagrams) and only found the cruise control mentioned in the wiring diagrams. In the only pic I found the actuator looks just like the one I had on my '94 318 convertible. The Bentley doesn't mention the CC except for one schematic - no locations, pics etc.. I went out and looked under the hood of my wife's 323Ci (same motor as my Z - M52TU) and couldn't find a thing that even remotely looks like a CC actuator.
Do you have CC on your M coupe ? A pic of the left side of the engine in your car would be nice if you would.
I'm a bit hesitant to order the kit until I find out what else I may need.

Joe

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
JoeBimmmer said:
Ron;

Do you have CC on your M coupe ? A pic of the left side of the engine in your car would be nice if you would.
I'm a bit hesitant to order the kit until I find out what else I may need.

Joe
My car is drive by wire and doesn't have an actuator.
My '00 M coupe had the actuator.
My guess is that your car is drive by wire too. If so, I think that the kit would work as mentioned.
What are the last seven digits of your cars VIN#?

·
Marine Fish Wrangler
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Ron,
Spoke with the BMW guy in the UK and he tells me there is no retrofit kit listed for the UK models. What I can't understand is how can a US version c/w a UK version be so different. Surely the kit avail to you guys can be made to fit. Can't it??

This is one part that I deperately need as I do a LOT of constant speed driving.
I guess this situation is made even more dire with only 8 or so modules being avail!
Could you possibly point me to an online vendor from whom I can buy the kit from.

If by any chance you have the time or inclination to see if there is some way I can make this kit work on my car, my VIN is LB64131.
All help is gratefully appreciated.

Regards
Marc

·
revirD detangiseD
278 Posts
Your car (2.5) shows a cable under group 35 on the EPC.
The (2.5i) shows the potentiometer under group 35.
The Bulletin says Z3 2.3 roadster from '99.

So, Ron, what you're saying is if I have the potentiometer attached to the pedal, the kit would probably work. I found the parts pictures in my ETK group 35 for both the pot and the Bowden cable. If I would go out in the pouring rain right now and take apart the under dash pieces and look for either the pot or the cable I would defintely know. I believe I'll wait 'til it stops raining ! There is a small river in my front yard and my wife's car has the garage.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
JoeBimmmer said:
Your car (2.5) shows a cable under group 35 on the EPC.
The (2.5i) shows the potentiometer under group 35.
The Bulletin says Z3 2.3 roadster from '99.

So, Ron, what you're saying is if I have the potentiometer attached to the pedal, the kit would probably work. I found the parts pictures in my ETK group 35 for both the pot and the Bowden cable. If I would go out in the pouring rain right now and take apart the under dash pieces and look for either the pot or the cable I would defintely know. I believe I'll wait 'til it stops raining ! There is a small river in my front yard and my wife's car has the garage.
It would be easier to look under the hood and see what is connected to the throttle body; a cable or a servo motor.

·
revirD detangiseD
278 Posts
Yep, Randy, you're right, as usual. The rain is slacking - I can't get but so wet!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.