BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been stuck overseas for nearly 9 months and finally got back, obviously, all cars are dead as hell, so I popped to the shop and grabbed a CTEK MXS5 for recharging, fortunately,it brought all batteries back to life and holding charges, I noticed there is a recond mode and I am able to select CAR-AGM-Recond together, now all batteries I have are AGM so I am wondering if anyone has ever used this function at all?

There are rumours saying this will destroy the AGM battery for some reason and can only be used on a normal battery, but the function is there for a reason? This is CAR-AGM-Recond not CAR-Recond.

If anyone has tried this on their AGM I would like to know how it went?

Much appreciated!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,037 Posts
From my CTEK 4.3 MUS owners manual. “Recond Program. 15.8V/1.5A. Use to return energy to the empty WET and Ca/Ca batteries.”

AGM is not mentioned. 15.8V is higher than should be applied to AGM.

Quoting further; “Recond program may cause water loss in the batteries and reduce service life of electronics.”

Water loss is the primary fragility of an AGM. 15.8V is beyond Temperature-Voltage Gassing curve at room temperature.

Reactions: mucyx2007

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my CTEK 4.3 MUS owners manual. “Recond Program. 15.8V/1.5A. Use to return energy to the empty WET and Ca/Ca batteries.”

AGM is not mentioned. 15.8V is higher than should be applied to AGM.

Quoting further; “Recond program may cause water loss in the batteries and reduce service life of electronics.”

Water loss is the primary fragility of an AGM. 15.8V is beyond Temperature-Voltage Gassing curve at room temperature.
Totally understand the theory, interesting to know when there is an AGM-Recond for selection, I mean if people just select this mode and think it's going to help the battery but it will actually kill it.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,037 Posts
Totally understand the theory, interesting to know when there is an AGM-Recond for selection, I mean if people just select this mode and think it's going to help the battery but it will actually kill it.
What does your CTEK owners manual say? Maybe there is a gentler AGM-Recond program now that was not included in my five year old model?

Sulfate reconditioning in general works by applying brief high voltage pulses intended to shatter the attached sulfate crystals on the plates. The AGM matting is pressed high pressure tightly to the plates, enough to cause the sides of the battery to bulge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts