BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I knew that sooner or later it would happen... This morning my wife took my 01 BMW 530i to work with her (mainly to drop off the car at Delon BMW for an oil change which is a few blocks from her office). She gets back with the car and the freaking cup holder (driver side) is broken. What is that part cost and is it hard to replace? Also, I paid $75.00 at the Delon BMW for an oil change and the bastards sublet the oil change to a Chevron oil change place, so don't even bother taking a car to them for an oil change! Whoever can help on the cupholder I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Santiago.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So the oil change was done on my Bimmer, now I still show two green service blocks on the maintenance lights, shouldn't have been reseted by the BMW dealer? Of course these guy subletted my oil change to someone else but I at least expected them to reset the lights, am I correct?

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
do yourself and stop going to that dealer. do the oil change yourself. it's one of the basics. you can either get a reset tool (which would pay for itself many times over depending how long you will own your BMW and has a good resell price) or i'm not sure about 530's but older 540's like mine, i can just use a paperclip and jump it to full green.

as for the cup holder, check ebay. i think your dealer (or cheveron) broke it and would probably want to make the buck off you (or your wife). YOU go in as a man and demand to speak to the manager or whoever owns the place; GET A BUSINESS CARD FIRST!!! NO BUSINESS CARD, NO TALK!! This way you know you are dealing with the top baboon there. ask them why the car's cup holder was fine when it went in for service and now it's broken. take pictures of the car with the oil light not being reset too. if they act-a-fool, just casually tell them every BMW forum will hear about their name and the kind of service they provide. and to top it off, you'll contact BMWNA about this (like BMWNA really cares but eh...). then add BBB to the list of people that's going to be notified of their horrible service and see what they do. if they do nothing (which wouldn't surprise me), do what i stated and shoot them an email with the links to all the posts. that'll get their feathers ruffled.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You can buy a cupholder from bavauto.com or pelicanparts.com. It's about $40 and is an easy installation.

Regarding the oil changes, if you don't want to do it yourself find a good independent bmw shop.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The green, yellow, red lights indicate two things - Oil and Maintenance intervals. It is quite possible that the oil change interval was reset but the Mainenance Interval Schedule is overriding the reset oil change indicator.

Like Chivas, the paper clip trick works wonders for my reset lights. If this doesn't work on your newer car, get a reset tool. You will cover the cost of the tool with the first "avoided" trip to the dealer to get the lights reset. I seem to remember the newer E39s don't need a reset tool. Try searching the forum for that info.

·
Registered
490 Posts
IMO you should just get the front cup holder delete piece (not sure of the p/n). It just covers up the spot and you can get one of the many aftermarket cupholders that will be a great improvement for your dollar.

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
I agree with Lex89, cover it and get one that works, I did from http://www.cup-holders.com

Also, you don't need a inspection light reset device for 01 and above.. it's a simple push button procedure.....

Yes, learn to make time for your car (if you can of course), $40+ of personal attention compared to $75 of shoddy work; an easy choice..

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Rsavory said:
You can buy a cupholder from bavauto.com or pelicanparts.com. It's about $40 and is an easy installation.

Regarding the oil changes, if you don't want to do it yourself find a good independent bmw shop.
Exactly...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I called the dealer back and I asked them why they didn't reset the maintenance light... They said that the reason was that since I want to have oil changes every 5K and the regular BMW recommended service is every 15K they didn't feel like they should reset the computer quite yet, is that make sense? It made sense to me. Regardless I told them that I will not pay BMW pricess to go to a Chevron Express Lube and I won't take it there ever again. Of course they say that the Chevron Express Lube uses their filters and their recommended BMW synthetic oil but to me it is all BS...

As far as the cup holder goes I really like this one:
http://www.cup-holders.com/store/item18.htm

What do you guys think? Also, where do I get the cover for the stock cup holder?

Thanks!

Santiago.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I can't believe that a BMW dealer would sublet out an oil change to a quick-lube type place. Those kind of places are notorious for overtightening drain plugs and not really changing the oil filter unless you watch them. :thumbdwn:

I can't help you with the cupholder since I don't drink in my car. The Germans don't either; that's why they don't put much effort in designing them. :drink:

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
530iwilsonville said:
Well I called the dealer back and I asked them why they didn't reset the maintenance light... They said that the reason was that since I want to have oil changes every 5K and the regular BMW recommended service is every 15K they didn't feel like they should reset the computer quite yet, is that make sense? It made sense to me. Regardless I told them that I will not pay BMW pricess to go to a Chevron Express Lube and I won't take it there ever again. Of course they say that the Chevron Express Lube uses their filters and their recommended BMW synthetic oil but to me it is all BS...

As far as the cup holder goes I really like this one:
http://www.cup-holders.com/store/item18.htm

What do you guys think? Also, where do I get the cover for the stock cup holder?

Thanks!

Santiago.
Don't get that one...if anyone ever sticks a plastic or metal can in there the bottom will scratch up your console! Get the TEC cupholder, either online or from your BMW dealer...about $90 or so. The factory one, get from various online sources as mentioned, or Ebay...in fact some have bought the TEC cup holder for a good price on Ebay as well.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
540 M-Sport said:
Don't get that one...if anyone ever sticks a plastic or metal can in there the bottom will scratch up your console! Get the TEC cupholder, either online or from your BMW dealer...about $90 or so. The factory one, get from various online sources as mentioned, or Ebay...in fact some have bought the TEC cup holder for a good price on Ebay as well.
bought my tec on ebay for less then half what dealer charged.

BTW to the OP: which dealer is this and what's their phone #?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I believe there is also a minimum consumption level you MUST meet before you can reset your service lights. Oil changes are one of the things I always want to do myself. With these cars, the oil filter is on top and really easy to change. The only PITA is removing the drain plug to drain the oil.

I ended up getting a pneumatic pump for my changes. Snakes right down the dipstick tube so I don't have to get under the car.

·
Registered
348 Posts
xclone said:
I ended up getting a pneumatic pump for my changes. Snakes right down the dipstick tube so I don't have to get under the car.
Which pump did you get and from where did you purchase it? Are there differences (other than volume) among the various pumps out there?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I got the smaller on listed here. Its got enough room to extract all the oil out of my I6, although I got a tad bit nervous as it got close to the top. The 9 liter one isn't that much more expensive.

In my experience, the only difference is being able to hook them up to a compressor to create a vacuum. The manual pump is really easy to use however and a good 20-30 pumps will get almost all the oil out.

The downside is I couldn't enjoy my customary beer while the pan drained. :)

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
xclone said:
I got the smaller on listed here. Its got enough room to extract all the oil out of my I6, although I got a tad bit nervous as it got close to the top. The 9 liter one isn't that much more expensive.

In my experience, the only difference is being able to hook them up to a compressor to create a vacuum. The manual pump is really easy to use however and a good 20-30 pumps will get almost all the oil out.

The downside is I couldn't enjoy my customary beer while the pan drained. :)
the 9 liter one is almost twice as much!!! but i guess it's the price to pay for a V8... oh well, i'll fork over $100 for a pump.

·
Registered
676 Posts
chivas said:
the 9 liter one is almost twice as much!!! but i guess it's the price to pay for a V8... oh well, i'll fork over $100 for a pump.
I'm telling ya. the first time you use it you will never go back. Don't forget to suction out uour oil filter resovoir also.. or maybe i'm just really anal like that.

The one thing I have found I was disappointed in is there is no "top". You've got the tube attachments but no top to cap it off once full for transportation. I just transfer it over to old laundry detergent bottles.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
By the way the dealer I used is DeLon BMW in Salem, OR (www.delonbmw.com) so I would not recommend them... I will probably get the original BMW cup holder from EBay. I don't ever drink in the car so I don't care too much to have a super cup holder... My wife likes to have her tea in the morning and that morning she used my car...

·
Registered
50 Posts
frhsfootball80 said:
someone want to explain this paper clip method ive never heard of it before and if it resets the oil lights then its worth a shot
i'd also like to know how to reset the oil light

1 - 20 of 38 Posts