BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so mad at myself... scraped up my right rear rim pretty bad on a curb. :banghead: :mad: :banghead: :mad: :banghead: :mad:

I guess that'll be the spare now... Thank goodness for full size spares!

Can anyone tell me how much a replacement costs? 325i SP, 17" Styling 96...

Any recommendations on places that might be able to fix it?

GRRR! :banghead: :mad: :banghead: :mad: I'm so mad at myself!

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ack said:
That sucks Pete! It's tough to keep these wheels from getting scratched up since the rims sit so flush with the wheels.

Does the sport package for the 325's have the same width tire setup all around? I thought they were staggered on all sport setups. :dunno:
Fortunately for me, the 325i SP has the same size wheels front and back... 17" x 8", 225/45R-17... so I can slap on the spare for now until I find a repair place or buy a new one.

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
sorry to hear Pete, check with your dealership or other good dealerships around town, they should be able to give u a name or a company they work with. People scratch rims all the time at the dealerships (test drives, etc) so they should know who's good in your area.

slightly better than scratching your watches right? ;)

--Andrew

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dredmo said:
soory to hear it, we all fall victim sooner or later, some curbs actually move out to meet you I think :dunno: :yikes:
I think that's exactly what happened here... the damn curb jumped out at me from behind a bush. :dunno: :cry:

Incidentally... I'm going to take off the damaged wheel and put on the spare, and I want to make sure I get the torque right. Anybody know how much torque to put on the lugs to put on the wheel?

Any recommendations on where to get a good torque wrench?

Thanks.

·
Groccery Getter
264 Posts
Pete Teoh said:

I think that's exactly what happened here... the damn curb jumped out at me from behind a bush. :dunno: :cry:

Incidentally... I'm going to take off the damaged wheel and put on the spare, and I want to make sure I get the torque right. Anybody know how much torque to put on the lugs to put on the wheel?

Any recommendations on where to get a good torque wrench?

Thanks.
if people have problem with distance they can get this. Here's the link.
www.fiction9.com/ebay_curbfeeler.htm

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ayn said:
slightly better than scratching your watches right? ;)

--Andrew
Hmmm... I don't know about that Andrew... I scratched the crystal on my Speedy '57 Replica but buffed that out pretty easily with some Polywatch... I don't think any amount of Zaino is going to buff out the curb rash :dunno:

Thanks for your thoughts though... :)

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
Wheel Lug Torque

Pete, Sorry the curb attacked you. I believe torque for wheels is 100 nm which is about 72 Ft Pounds. If I am wrong some of the guys will corrrect me. I purchased my torque wrench at Sears I am guessing but they are about $60.00. A good investment however.:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
5,820 Posts
Pete Teoh said:

I scratched the crystal on my Speedy '57 Replica but buffed that out pretty easily with some Polywatch
Have worn the same watch for almost 30 years, a Georg Jensen. Has a sapphire crystal and has never scratched. My wife's Rolex, pardon the expression, also has a sapphire crystal and does not scratch.

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
johnlew said:

Have worn the same watch for almost 30 years, a Georg Jensen. Has a sapphire crystal and has never scratched. My wife's Rolex, pardon the expression, also has a sapphire crystal and does not scratch.
Yeah, my other Omega has a sapphire crystal too... but Omega puts an acrylic hesalite crystal on some of the Speedy models to maintain authenticity... Acrylic will scratch but not shatter on impact as a sapphire crystal would. This is an important thing in zero-gravity space travel. :thumbup:

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
johnlew said:

But Speedmasters don't come with a sapphire crystal. One of the reasons why I'm getting a SeMP before a Speedy... Hey Pete, I'm almost ready to get a fullsize 2531.80 (same as yours!) from Keith's dealer. I tried on the mid and full size and the bigger one just stood out. Plus I tried on the Moon and I will definitely do what you did if I get the mid and then the Moon. =)

--Andrew

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
I did the same thing to my rear at a drive thru, and I said I would NEVER do that...I was so pissed :mad: I still have to get it fixed :banghead:

PS, its my rear, so my spear wheel I can't use..its smaller than the rears

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ayn said:

But Speedmasters don't come with a sapphire crystal. One of the reasons why I'm getting a SeMP before a Speedy... Hey Pete, I'm almost ready to get a fullsize 2531.80 (same as yours!) from Keith's dealer. I tried on the mid and full size and the bigger one just stood out. Plus I tried on the Moon and I will definitely do what you did if I get the mid and then the Moon. =)

--Andrew
Andrew, Keith's dealer is a good guy... I've heard many positive comments about him from TZ. Definitely get the full-size unless you have extremely small wrists. You'll be happier with it in the long run, IMO.

Anyway, good luck with the purchase!

Pete

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CCs328Ci said:
I did the same thing to my rear at a drive thru, and I said I would NEVER do that...I was so pissed :mad: I still have to get it fixed :banghead:

PS, its my rear, so my spear wheel I can't use..its smaller than the rears
I put on my spare yesterday... I washed the brake dust off the old scraped up wheel and put in back in the trunk as a spare. I guess that's one benefit of having a 325i instead of a 328i/330i with staggered sizes. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.