BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How Do!!

Well i finally did it!!, i curbed one rim!! my rimes have a chrome rim and i managed to catch it not to bad but all the same!, when they are perfect its still a bummer!, its about two bits 1cm each not to deep but noticeable to me a perfectionist!, i would not mind but i parked up taking care and it was as i was moving off from a position where i though they would not get damaged!!

cutting a long story shot can i fix the problem myself or can a professional like chips away? i was not sure because its chrome

thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks jake!, i was well miffed!!!, i tried to add you as a friend but i cant for some reason can you add me again.

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,882 Posts
Sup man, I'm the master of chrome here.
What you can do is have the rims re dipped in chrome. I've doe this before andit normally cost about $50s a rim. They remove the entire chrome coating all the way down to the alloy and reprime it with a lot of stuff including copper and zinc. They then chrome the rims and it turns out GREAT! just like brand new rims:) so all in all its well worth it.

$200s for all rims rather then buying a new one for who knows how much.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no its only the outter rim i want done as the black spokes look awesome! can the defo fix the chrome curbed bit only? what do you think it will cost?

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,882 Posts
no its only the outter rim i want done as the black spokes look awesome! can the defo fix the chrome curbed bit only? what do you think it will cost?
The thing is doing a little part of the rim is as just as expensive as doing the whole thing.
That's why I recommend just doing the entire rim. But yes it can be done just that little part that is. But it won't look original.
I have little scrapes and little dents here and there on all my rims really.. and they only are noticeable to me now if I REALLY look at it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can i get a product from the shops to do it myself? or will that look crap!, i presume its best to get it prof done! i mean its quite minor really but its just annoying i was weird how it happened i bet i could not do it again if i tried!! but i wont tempt fate!!!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,227 Posts
From his description, I have a feeling the OP has wheels that have the chrome lip pressed onto the rim, they`re not an integral part of the wheel....now, THAT would be a stroke of luck!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
From his description, I have a feeling the OP has wheels that have the chrome lip pressed onto the rim, they`re not an integral part of the wheel....now, THAT would be a stroke of luck!
He did say they had a chrome rim so I think you may be right

·
Keeping it surreal
43,227 Posts
yes they are will that make a diffrence
Hell YEAH....as long as the underlying rim is`nt damaged, they can pull off the scraped-up chrome lip and replace it with a new one....should`nt be all that expensive, maybe 1/3 the cost of a new wheel....

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,882 Posts
My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy because I sat here and chuckled.... I read the post and was wondering who the first response was going to be. I scrolled down and then .... well you can probably figure out the rest.
lol:)

and to OP I didn't know you had just chrome lip I thought you had the whole rim.
Do what they said you can just replace the lip normally. But not if its the kind thats completely attached to the rim...

·
Little Miss Ry
1,169 Posts
When you get back to us I want to see pics of these wheels. Black and chrome combo sounds sweet!!

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts