BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Cured transmission vibration but stripped threads on the transmission

790 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  bluebee
My 99 528i auto had a strong vibration in between 1st and 2nd gears and a slight vibration between 2nd and 3rd gears. I replaced the giubo (flex disc) and the trans. mounts. They looked good with no visible damage. I tried to change center support mount but I couldn't taje the drive shaft apart. The 18mm bolt was too much for me to remove it. It looks good though, no visible damage. I did a atf change and when I was almost done putting the pan back to the transmission, one of the bolts stripped the threads, so now the pan is missing one bolt. The vibration is gone though.

UPDATE: I wanted to mention that after the diy the car has way better acceleration response time then before, off the line and while driving. Specially once on the freeway, there's no hesitation whatsoever.

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Unless it leaks, I would not worry about it. That pan has a LOT of bolts!
In the future, if you have reason to remove the driveshaft again, note that the bolt at the U-joint is in there tight with red threadlocker. All you need to do is heat up the bolt head for a few seconds with a butane lighter, and then it will come right out ... but still a tough one to deal with. Re-install also calls for red threadlocker.
Yeah I know
, too bad that it's the side thats facing the engine with the least amount of bolts, I thinks it has 4 bolts only. But I'm keeping an eye on it though.

Unless it leaks, I would not worry about it. That pan has a LOT of bolts!
In the future, if you have reason to remove the driveshaft again, note that the bolt at the U-joint is in there tight with red threadlocker. All you need to do is heat up the bolt head for a few seconds with a butane lighter, and then it will come right out ... but still a tough one to deal with. Re-install also calls for red threadlocker.
Oh ok thanks, next time.

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App
I always wondered about that locktite stuff.

I assume it's basically glue.

Really good glue. Probably anaerobic glue besides.

So, it was interesting to learn from this thread that, at least for the 'red' glue, that heat will break the bonds of the glue.
All you need to do is heat up the bolt head for a few seconds with a butane lighter
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.