BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 2006 BMW X3 which has about 58,000 miles on it. I originally said I was good with the X3 as is but the steroe is their old Business Edition which only plays CD's (It doesn't even read MP3 CD's). My wife and I are tired of listening to cd's with 12 songs and then having to fumble for more CD's To add to insult my Garmin GPS was accidently washed in the laundry (I left it in my pocket) so now before I go purchase a new one. I was considering installing a the following Kenwood MultiMedia Navigation In Dash Stereo.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700PNA...igation-Package.html?tp=20212&tab=other_items

It also has some other desirable things like a backup camera and ipod connection and satelite radio. BMW told me that I could only connect eith the ipod or the satelite radio to the current radio and that if I wanted in dash navigation and a backup camera that I would have to spend easily over $5,000.00 grand to do so.

My question is will I effect things like my bluetooth phone connection and other features like the bmw assist if I remove the stock radio and install an aftermarket one?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The business radio can play mp3 CDs. It does on my car (2005). The kenwood unit looks good. I don't know how will it affect the BMW bluetooth, but AFAIK it does use the stereo to send voice through speakers. You may want to buy the Kenwood bluetooth adapter or leave the unit as is at least till warranty is over. Check the 'Ya gotta laugh at the BS' thread, dealers like to blame each and everything on aftermarket stereos ;-) . If you decide to go for Kenwood bluetooth, there will be a lot of people here who would gladly buy your bluetooth ULF.

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
I just recently purchased a 2006 BMW X3 which has about 58,000 miles on it. I originally said I was good with the X3 as is but the steroe is their old Business Edition which only plays CD's (It doesn't even read MP3 CD's). My wife and I are tired of listening to cd's with 12 songs and then having to fumble for more CD's To add to insult my Garmin GPS was accidently washed in the laundry (I left it in my pocket) so now before I go purchase a new one. I was considering installing a the following Kenwood MultiMedia Navigation In Dash Stereo.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700PNA...igation-Package.html?tp=20212&tab=other_items

It also has some other desirable things like a backup camera and ipod connection and satelite radio. BMW told me that I could only connect eith the ipod or the satelite radio to the current radio and that if I wanted in dash navigation and a backup camera that I would have to spend easily over $5,000.00 grand to do so.

My question is will I effect things like my bluetooth phone connection and other features like the bmw assist if I remove the stock radio and install an aftermarket one?
Chances are yes, as they run serial data through their systems. I use the BT that is inherent to the Alpine I installed. I have never had any trouble with any phone I use. And yes my steering controls work with the stereo and yours will to.

The ODB will show faults and if in warranty BMW will try to blame everything and anything that goes wrong on your stereo install. As engineers it is easy to disprove them, but tiresome.

I think their sound systems are some of the worst I have ever heard, especially in a vehicle of that caliber. So up to you. Do a search on speakers, amps, etc.. and you will see pictures of my work or just PM me and I'll help along.

Cheers,

EE

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
The Business CD radio reads mp3 CDs starting 09/2004 production. Best to leave it as is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts