BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
It may be a good opportunity on this thread to therefore remind all who have been before and inform all those who have not, that fuel costs less in Austria and considerably less in Switzerland (where, in the border areas, prices are shown in both euros and Swiss francs and you can pay in either currency). So, if you are driving out of Bavaria, do not waste money by filling up there.

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
It may be a good opportunity on this thread to therefore remind all who have been before and inform all those who have not, that fuel costs less in Austria and considerably less in Switzerland (where, in the border areas, prices are shown in both euros and Swiss francs and you can pay in either currency). So, if you are driving out of Bavaria, do not waste money by filling up there.
Good point.
Gasoline (as opposed to Diesel) is much cheaper, Diesel not so much.

And, in case you enter Austria via Autobahn A8 München-Salzburg, DO NOT use the first gas station at the border. They charge 1.15 for Diesel (same price as in Germany), Gasoline 1.25

Enter Salzburg city limits and you'll find Diesel for 94 cents, gas for 1.03

Check this link.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you like the diesel, aside from the obvious fuel economy?? Have you been scouting diesel fuel stations in your area yet? :)
The diesel is great! There was plenty of power and the fuel economy was at 35 MPG until I got stuck in a huge Munich traffic jam where the mileage ended at 33.1 MPG. This finally gives me a daily driver that is economical and still has a soul.

Fuel staions are no issue, I have trhee diesel pumps within 2 miles of the house. Diesel pickup trucks are very popular in Orlando, and I already own a diesel tractor and zero turn lawn mower.

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
This is the fuel station just down the street from the Welt taken last week. The prices shown are per liter in euros, making me glad that my ED was a diesel. A rough comparison in dollars/gallon is to multiply the prices by 6.
Mr Spock Mode ON:

multiply the prices by 5.4

1 gallon = 3.78541178 liters
1 dollar buys 0.7 EUR, or 1 EUR costs 1.42

3.78 * 1.42 = about 5.4

Mr Spock Mode OFF :angel:

Viele Grüße von Dieselfahrer Alfred

Attachments

·
'Fest Advisor
1,409 Posts
This is the fuel station just down the street from the Welt taken last week. The prices shown are per liter in euros, making me glad that my ED was a diesel. A rough comparison in dollars/gallon is to multiply the prices by 6.
Can anyone explain all the different grades listed in the pic (except diesel)?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Can anyone explain all the different grades listed in the pic (except diesel)?
Starting from the top:

Benzin = Petrol = 'Gas' in US (95 RON)

Super = Petrol = 'Gas' in US (~98 RON)

Ultimate 100 = Petrol = 'Gas' in US (100 RON)

Diesel = Diesel (48 Cetane)

Ultimate Diesel = Diesel with a kick (55 Cetane)

LKW Diesel = Diesel only for trucks (different nozzle size which is too big for cars)

LPG Autogas = Low Pressure Gas. Quite a few cars have been converted to run on this fuel.

Erdgas = CNG (Compressed Natural Gas). Relatively few cars have been converted to run on this fuel.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Beats the heck out of the 2008 fuel prices when a Euro was $1.55 - $1.60. In two weeks of high speed driving you can spend a bunch of Euros even getting 25 mpg at 90 mph in a 335i.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I seem to remember paying 1.50? Maybe I'm thinking of Der Schweiz, I don't recall.

I will say that one fill up was 115 bucks (then-current XC rates).

·
Not a Bimmer driver anymo
1,732 Posts
Beats the heck out of the 2008 fuel prices when a Euro was $1.55 - $1.60. In two weeks of high speed driving you can spend a bunch of Euros even getting 25 mpg at 90 mph in a 335i.
Seriously. When I was there, I put 1300mi on the car.
€1,48/L * $1.58/1€ * 3.78gal/L = $8.84/gallon when I was there. But...

It's the best money ever spent, IMO! :thumbup:
AGREED!!! :thumbup:

DO NOT use the first gas station at the border. They charge 1.15 for Diesel (same price as in Germany), Gasoline 1.25
Good advice! Do still stop there for your autobahn sticker and vest, though! I got a ticket between the first and second service stop (approximately) and if I had not had my sticker already... Well I don't know the fine.

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
This isn't helpful at all, but here some price comparisons from the summer (June) high price season. :D

Yes, people were looking at me for taking pics of fuel prices...

Garmisch-Partenkirchen:

Panzendorf, Austria (near the Italian border):

Tosolano-Maderno, Italy (Gardone Riviera, Lago di Garda):

And finally, TAX FREE FUEL from the Shell in Livigno, Italy (Lago di Livigno):

I also bought a 1 liter bottle of Jack Daniels from the Shell shop for 8€. :yikes:

The most expensive Shell "Super" Diesel (V-Power) that I found, was from Bologna, Italy... and I did not take a pic there - we were in a hurry to get to Venezia. Price was 1,67€/liter. I bought a full tank! :eek: :rofl:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Also, it is worth remembering that prices at the gas stations on the Autobahnen are much higher than those elsewhere. Try and avoid filling up on the Autobahn, instead use an exit which looks like it is a busy area and you will probably find one there and save 10% - 15%.
If you are going from Germany into Switzerland, around the Linday/Bregenz area, use the Bundesstrasse (non-Autobahn road) via Bregenz to Lustenau and cross into Switzerland there, thus avoiding the legal requirement for an Austrian Autobahn vignette. Plenty of gas stations too on that route, just over the Swiss border, where the prices are the cheapest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts