Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Smooth Roads & Tunes
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious to know what the seasoned vets on here think about the new B58 engine vs the last year of the N55 engine....or any new engine vs any out-going engine?

Does the majority go with the refined last year of the current engine, or will they hold off on a purchase to get :dunno: from the supposed next best thing?

Thoughts....?

·
Registered
541 Posts
No specs have been released on the B58 yet and it is still over a year away.

Until any information about the engine is released it would be hard to decide either way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just bought a 2015 335i because I wanted the proven N55 engine over the first year of the B58. The refined N55 has enough power for me and I can get the MPPK if I want a little more Umph. Not a big fan of buying the first year of anything especially when if comes to an expensive BMW.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Smooth Roads & Tunes
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just bought a 2015 335i because I wanted the proven N55 engine over the first year of the B58. The refined N55 has enough power for me and I can get the MPPK if I want a little more Umph. Not a big fan of buying the first year of anything especially when if comes to an expensive BMW.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I concur. The timing was right for me to pull the trigger as well on a MY2015. I'm curious to know what the track record has been in the past for first year engines?

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
I concur. The timing was right for me to pull the trigger as well on a MY2015. I'm curious to know what the track record has been in the past for first year engines?
Cant think of many issues with 1st year BMW engines, Id definitely wait, it may fix the carbon buildup issue as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm curious to know what the seasoned vets on here think about the new B58 engine vs the last year of the N55 engine....or any new engine vs any out-going engine?

Does the majority go with the refined last year of the current engine, or will they hold off on a purchase to get :dunno: from the supposed next best thing?

Thoughts....?
Great question. I'm trying my hardest to keep myself from buying a N55 equipped car.

Waiting will get me two things. A decision point between the new engine and a decision point between the B9 Audis that are arriving at the same time.

I'm cursed with being exceedingly patient!

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Take your pick: extra 20hp and lower fuel consumption vs. better reliability and availability of aftermarket mods.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Take your pick: extra 20hp and lower fuel consumption vs. better reliability and availability of aftermarket mods.
So they have announced hp numbers for the B58 now? If the base hp becomes 320 I wonder if the B58 MPPK will be able to bump it up to 350.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
The lack of bitching I see about the N55 was enough to convince me it that its a pretty solid engine. In its earlier days the E90 sub-forum was plagued with the HPFP fiasco of the N54. B58 at this point is a complete coin toss.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
We're closer to two years for the new engines. Most of the issues with BMW's engines surface 1-2 years in as parts wear out. Normally early production engines are the problem.

Tim

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
We're closer to two years for the new engines. Most of the issues with BMW's engines surface 1-2 years in as parts wear out. Normally early production engines are the problem.

Tim
Why so long? The mini already got the new turbo 3 and 4.

·
Smooth Roads & Tunes
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great question. I'm trying my hardest to keep myself from buying a N55 equipped car.

Waiting will get me two things. A decision point between the new engine and a decision point between the B9 Audis that are arriving at the same time.

I'm cursed with being exceedingly patient!
There is always going to be the next best thing. You have to jump in at some point....:)

·
Loves Blue Bimmers
461 Posts
Cant think of many issues with 1st year BMW engines, Id definitely wait, it may fix the carbon buildup issue as well.
How about the S54 in the E46 M3? Or the N54 HPFP? Or the early issues (oil related?) in the E60 M5. Their track record isn't the greatest...

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
How about the S54 in the E46 M3? Or the N54 HPFP? Or the early issues (oil related?) in the E60 M5. Their track record isn't the greatest...
Driveshaft and fuel pump, I wasnt considering those engine parts I guess. If that kind of stuff scares you, buy a Lexus.

·
Loves Blue Bimmers
461 Posts
Driveshaft and fuel pump, I wasnt considering those engine parts I guess. If that kind of stuff scares you, buy a Lexus.
It was a rod bearing that failed in the S54...so pretty critical ;) It doesn't scare me, just pointing out that there is *some* merit to not buying a brand new BMW engine.

·
1oz perception-1# obscure
3,618 Posts
The B58 435s should just be coming out when my current lease expires in 2016. It should, therefore, be that much easier to get a below invoice deal on a remaining N55.

I had seen power reports of up to 375HP for that engine. Now they're talking about 340-350HP. That might not be enough difference from the N55 for me to pay the extra dough to be one of the first people driving one. The N55 doesn't exactly lack power.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The B58 435s should just be coming out when my current lease expires in 2016. It should, therefore, be that much easier to get a below invoice deal on a remaining N55.

I had seen power reports of up to 375HP for that engine. Now they're talking about 340-350HP. That might not be enough difference from the N55 for me to pay the extra dough to be one of the first people driving one. The N55 doesn't exactly lack power.
And I've also seen 320hp thrown around as well so until actual details are released its hard to tell if a wait would be "worth it".

If the power bump is indeed only 20hp then IMO the "first year engine risks" would not be worth it because there likely won't be any kind of MPPK at first either so you could actually get an N55 with more power.

If it is indeed a bump into the 350-375 range (which would be awesome but I think 375 might be pushing a bit too close to the M3 to be realistic) then I could definitely understand wanting to wait for the new engine and not caring about any potential first year hiccups.

·
1oz perception-1# obscure
3,618 Posts
If it is indeed a bump into the 350-375 range (which would be awesome but I think 375 might be pushing a bit too close to the M3 to be realistic) then I could definitely understand wanting to wait for the new engine and not caring about any potential first year hiccups.
To be fair, the place I saw 375HP was talking about the next 5 series, where there is currently a more pronounced power gap between the 535 and the 550. So they may be planning a differently tuned version for that car. But I agree with you.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

Tim
I believe we are about one year out for the 3-series B58. There is a thread on Bimmerpost from someone with alleged inside info saying the B58 will come out with the 3-series LCI as a 2016MY with SOP in July 2015.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts