Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
I believe we are about one year out for the 3-series B58. There is a thread on Bimmerpost from someone with alleged inside info saying the B58 will come out with the 3-series LCI as a 2016MY with SOP in July 2015.
We are a year out from the 3 series LCI, but the inside info is that LCI will not contain the engine bump. That will come in 2016 as a MY 2017 to coincide with the 4 series LCI.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8452711&highlight=#post8452711

Tim

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
It was a rod bearing that failed in the S54...so pretty critical ;) It doesn't scare me, just pointing out that there is *some* merit to not buying a brand new BMW engine.
Sure, but I think it's better overall to avoid 1st model years, rather than say, LCI's with a new engine.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
We are a year out from the 3 series LCI, but the inside info is that LCI will not contain the engine bump. That will come in 2016 as a MY 2017 to coincide with the 4 series LCI.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8452711&highlight=#post8452711

Tim
The first post in that thread links to the Bimmerpost thread I mentioned. Quote below.

The 335i gets the new B58 engine along with the LCI. The 328i does not get its new engine until later like you mentioned.

F30 LCI:
- 320i, RWD and xDrive, B48B20M0, manual and auto
- 328i, RWD and xDrive, N20B20O0 and N26B20O0, manual and auto
- 335i, RWD and xDrive, B58B30M0, manual and auto
- 328d, RWD and xDrive, N47D20O1, manual and auto

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think we will see no more than a 10% power bump on either the B48 or B58 engines, but they should be a little more efficient (1-2mpg). The big plus with both of them is that it puts BMW on the road to having a common engine architecture with 500cc per cylinder from 3's to 6's, all with turbos. I have not decided whether I want the four or six, but will definitely wait for these new engines.

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
B58 unproven. N55 fairly well sorted.

BMW hasn't had a stellar record with their I6's.
M52: water pump, crankshaft position sensor
S54: Rod bearing. BMW also lowered the red line.
M54: Oil consumption, crankshaft position sensor
N52: Valve tap (fixed)
N54: HPFP failure. Cooling issues. HPFP Fixed.
N55: Appears to be their best yet.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I just ordered my 435i but I'm agnostic. I keep my cars 4 years and then trade. The LCI w/ B58 will be a great engine I'm sure. I had one of the first N54 engines and it was great. I wouldn't lose sleep either way. Kind of annoys me BMW is changing the moniker to 440 but just because of the extra hit I'll take when it's time to sell.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am not as patient as the OP says he is. When I get the urge For a new car I will lose sleep.
The N55 has proven itself and it is so easy to achieve any horsepower you like.
If you want 325 horse have the MPPK installed . Instantaneous power jump and totally reliable engine.
If you want more power still with factory 4 year warranty go with Dinan harness and software and there you have nearly 370 horses and 420 of torque.
You really don't have to wait for N58 to work out the kinks.
That's my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Driveshaft and fuel pump, I wasnt considering those engine parts I guess. If that kind of stuff scares you, buy a Lexus.

Or headbolt issues on early n52s or nikasil issue on m60s or oil supply issue with early n20s. No one is saying to buy a Lexus - but with bmw you can save yourself a lot of headaches skipping the first model year of a new engine or body style. Yes there's a warranty but it still sucks dealing with the issues before bmw acknowledges them or has a fix

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Or headbolt issues on early n52s or nikasil issue on m60s or oil supply issue with early n20s. No one is saying to buy a Lexus - but with bmw you can save yourself a lot of headaches skipping the first model year of a new engine or body style. Yes there's a warranty but it still sucks dealing with the issues before bmw acknowledges them or has a fix
+1

Besides, with BMW hiding horsepower better than snake hides its legs it is completely irrelevant to talk about what BMW is declaring/will declare as engine power.

I wrote a lengthy comparison 4 years ago between my car and Mustang V6 owned by a guy I work with. We swapped cars for a weekend and couple of hundred miles. Right now and until tomorrow I'm driving a rental 2015 Mustang V6 rated at 305 or 315 hp (can't remember).

Now, exactly as then, I have to ask where exactly did Ford hide those horses - because, compared to N55 rated at similar hp, it feels awefully underpowered.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
27 Posts
Considering that the B58 is built on the 500cc per cylinder modular platform currently in production, I can see no reason to be concerned with "first year problems". In fact, I would think that an inline 6 built on the 500cc platform may turn out to be the best BMW inline 6 ever. The M54 in my 2003 Z4 was a first year engine, and being based on the M52TU, it was already proven. BMW does a pretty good job at evolving engines.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Considering that the B58 is built on the 500cc per cylinder modular platform currently in production, I can see no reason to be concerned with "first year problems". In fact, I would think that an inline 6 built on the 500cc platform may turn out to be the best BMW inline 6 ever. The M54 in my 2003 Z4 was a first year engine, and being based on the M52TU, it was already proven. BMW does a pretty good job at evolving engines.
I'm not too worried about it either. Will be glad when some overall specs, EPA fuel numbers, etc start to be revealed. I think the 340 LCI will be fantastic.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Great question. I'm trying my hardest to keep myself from buying a N55 equipped car.

Waiting will get me two things. A decision point between the new engine and a decision point between the B9 Audis that are arriving at the same time.

I'm cursed with being exceedingly patient!
Me too. I have been toying with getting a 2015 F30 or F36, but what I want would have to be ordered and at this stage would not arrive until fairly close to the SOP for the 2016s. I may just wait, like you, to take a look at the B9 and LCI F30/340. I am not worried about the first year B58's reliability.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Unless things have changed the LCI F30 340i will still have the N55. The F3x platform will not get the B58 engine until F32 LCI.

Tim

·
Save the manuals!
677 Posts
So Minis with the B48 have been out for a while; has it shown any significant improvements over the N20? Fuel consumption, sound, smoothness, etc? Most reviews of the new Mini have been pretty negative, but the negativity has focused on the scared face and sub-GTI performance/$.

If the B48 isn't a significant upgrade over the N20, then I wouldn't expect the B58 to improve much on the N55. It's possible the biggest upgrade is just cost savings for BMW, which doesn't affect buyers.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I think someone had it right earlier. If all we are talking about is 20 or 25 hp it makes sense to get the proven N55 with the MPPK. Where that changes is an individual decision. N4S

·
1oz perception-1# obscure
3,618 Posts
I did read somewhere that the B58 is supposed to sound cooler than the N55. Outside source; it might have been the Car&Driver blog. A small thing, anyway.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Its just dumb to buy N55 anymore. Its kind of outdated.
Just wait and get N58.
No such thing as "N58". It's "B58". Using the right terms will improve the credibility of your opinions.

Buying any BMW engine in the first three years of its production is almost always a mistake. Just like buying a pre-LCI model. You gotta give that hardware the chance to marinate a little.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts