Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at replacing my run flats.

I bought my 2013 535i 6-speed with 17k miles in 2014; it now has 38k miles.

It has Goodyear tires now, and they've been satisfactory. I've had one or two tires repaired for a nail. One tire failed when being dismounted and had to be replaced.

Looking at what's available, I'm considering
Continental ContiProContact SSR
Goodyear EagleLS-2 RunOnFlat
both in size 245/45-18

They have equal Treadwear Ratings of 400 A A, Load Range of XL, and Service Category of 100V.

The Goodyears are about $33 more per tire.

I'm not an aggressive driver, and I'm not driving the car a lot with the old tires. The purpose of getting new tires is so that I have a little more confidence for highway trips.

What are your opinions? Am I missing out by staying on run flats? Should I be looking at other tire options?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I am ditching the run flats in the next month or so. I started with the LS2 which were shot within about 20k miles. I tried the Pirelli Cinturado all season run flat next. I paid $1300 to buy/install them in September and they are shot. Maybe 18k miles since putting them on. This time I will probably go with the Continental extreme contact or the a General gmail....both have 50,000 mile warranties and are a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
126 Posts

My 2017 330iX came with Continental ContiProContact SSR run flat tires. The vehicle has just under 24k miles on it and all four tires are near the wear indicator (so much so that I get vibration at >70mph). NOT happy with Continental ContiProContact SSR!:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,179 Posts
I'm looking at replacing my run flats.

I bought my 2013 535i 6-speed with 17k miles in 2014; it now has 38k miles.

It has Goodyear tires now, and they've been satisfactory. I've had one or two tires repaired for a nail. One tire failed when being dismounted and had to be replaced.

Looking at what's available, I'm considering
Goodyear EagleLS-2 RunOnFlat
both in size 245/45-18

They have equal Treadwear Ratings of 400 A A, Load Range of XL, and Service Category of 100V.

The Goodyears are about $33 more per tire.

I'm not an aggressive driver, and I'm not driving the car a lot with the old tires. The purpose of getting new tires is so that I have a little more confidence for highway trips.

What are your opinions? Am I missing out by staying on run flats? Should I be looking at other tire options?
Yes you are missing out but you don't drive in that style so that is a wash.
If you were ok with the old goodyears, you will be ok with these.
Personally, I don't like them.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I am not an aggressive driver but Toronto is chock full of potholes. My Badyear LS2s were like riding on wagon wheels. My 2012 535xi had four bent rims, two flats and bubbles.
I wanted to keep runflats so went to Bridegestone Driveguards. In the short time I kept my car I had no problems at all. The big difference was the ride and handling. Both improved significantly. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I am not an aggressive driver but Toronto is chock full of potholes. My Badyear LS2s were like riding on wagon wheels. My 2012 535xi had four bent rims, two flats and bubbles.
I wanted to keep runflats so went to Bridegestone Driveguards. In the short time I kept my car I had no problems at all. The big difference was the ride and handling. Both improved significantly. I highly recommend them.
I'll second the recommendation for Driveguards. I've been satisfied with mine. I've put 20,000 miles on them with no issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts