BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking foe custom high end installer/fabricator in Bay Area to help me redo my trunk for 4 amps/batcap and x-overs.Thanks.Local high end shops are just to friggen expensive here in Marin.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It doesn't get any better than rolling thunder in san rafael
...but they are expensive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sf bimmer said:
It doesn't get any better than rolling thunder in san rafael
...but they are expensive.
There is expensive and there is ridiculous.They are ridiculous in their prices.They wanted $3,000 to do my trunk:mad: ....I am looking for someone who is fair or who works on the side on week-ends.

·
Banned
708 Posts
OK, you don't want to spend $3K on your trunk. Don't bash that, just own it :)

They can't get anyone to do those systems if they don't ask for the sale, you know?

Your statement about "side work" indicates to me as a shop owner that you don't want a "fair" price, you want a deal. You live in possibly the most expensive county in the state (they have rent payments and wages and state taxes too), you drive a BMW...

There are plenty of shops in the area you are in. I am confident if you told Rolling Thunder, "I don't want to spend $3K on my trunk, this is my budget, what can you do?" you might get a constructive suggestion.

What IS your budget? That would be a good place to start.

You could call Auto Symphony on Van Ness in the city, Peter's Auto Radio (Lombard?), Walnut Creek Auto Stereo in the East Bay...

·
Registered
79 Posts
First off I said expensive, they are not ridiculous, I paid no where near as much as that for my work. El Duderino normally I agree with what you have to say, but in this case I would have to differ, I went to every shop you mentioned...every single one, before ending up at Rolling thunder. They all said the same thing, and none of them would touch my car. I wanted to add amps and a sub to a 01 540 w dsp and they all said it couldn't be done, rolling thunder said no problem, and here is how we do it. As for the originator of the post, sometimes the old saying "you get what you pay for" really does apply.:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a bunch of crap.I went to Kustom Kar Audio in Santa Rosa and they wanted $750.And they are much better.I read either on this forum or on NorCal where a professional installer was working on the side.But,I can't find the thread anymore.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If your car was worth the money isn't your car stereo?

Look if you want a shade tree installer then good luck in your quest. I chose to go with a reputable, high end installer that demonstrated they were highly competent in BMW installs. I also felt that paying the extra money to avoid voiding the warranty on the 5000 dollars in Zapco, Jl Audio, Mb Quart, & Morel equipment that I purchased was well worth it. That being said, I did all my own fabrication work (and have won several awards for it) and paid rolling thunder around 800 dollars for there installation work. About 10 hours work for 800 is very reasonable in my book. But again, good luck in finding your on the side installer.
:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts