BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have two questions: (1) Is there a BMW tech support number available (for questions which seem beyond my dealer)? and (2) does anyone know how I could get a list of custom settings accessible to dealers?

Background to questions. My dealer tells me there are several "custom" settings dealers can make which are not accessible via I-drive choices on my recently acquired 2006 550i. For instance, when I thought there was a problem because the innermost of two headlights (each side) on my car never came, the service manager said my build series had bi-Xenon headlights--inner headlights were daytime running lights only. He said dealer would have to program them to come on and offered to do that--later I got the bill for $113 which apparently covered their cost of hooking up to computer. I asked for list of other settings dealer could set and he said BMW is always making running changes during model year production so no printed list of various settings exists--he said he can access list for my specific car by hooking up to computer at another charge of $113, but there is no printed list. Seemed strange because wife's Lexus has list of this type of settings included in owners manual. Seemed like there must be a similar list for my BMW so I called BMW customer service. They said BMW relies only on dealer network for tech support so they could not offer any tech support.

Thank you for help.

·
V-8 Driver
297 Posts
For the inner headlights - I got mine to function once I found the iDrive menu choice for "daytime running lights" and clicked the box... Yours are now specially programmed to be lit along with the main outers? If so, how much more light is thrown out there?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump

There is interest in answers to my original questions (1. BMW phone number for technical backup; (2) list custom settings dealer can do) so "bumping" this note and thanks to ViaPerturbatio for letting me know about the "bump" option. Also I will navigate again through my I-Drive options for Daytime Running Lights but did not see this when I looked earlier (maybe 2007 models added it). My dealer said he would have to program "automatic" daytime running lights but the $113 charge was a surprise. At least on my build model 2006 what happens now is just the inner lights come on which dealer says are not Xenon lights (dealer says are not Xenon--he says I have bi-Xenon lights with both high and low beam in one light and "shutter" allowing brights). The inner "daytime running" lights are not as bright as the Xenon headlight. Thanks, Dennis

·
Driving Enthusiast
435 Posts
Have two questions: (1) Is there a BMW tech support number available (for questions which seem beyond my dealer)? and (2) does anyone know how I could get a list of custom settings accessible to dealers?
Dennis - Is this what you were looking for as far as programmable options? I pulled this off another site so not sure how current.

Attachments

·
karate monkey
147 Posts
Dennis - Is this what you were looking for as far as programmable options? I pulled this off another site so not sure how current.
Thanks for posting this, ViaP. According to the footnote, looks like for E60 the Daytime Driving Lights is the only setting that only a dealer can make. Wonder if there are more settings/features not on this form?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Thanks for posting this, ViaP. According to the footnote, looks like for E60 the Daytime Driving Lights is the only setting that only a dealer can make. Wonder if there are more settings/features not on this form?
On my 2010, the Daytime Running Lights option is in iDrive. Look under Settings>Lighting. I have mine turned on despite the possible slight loss in fuel economy.

·
V-8 Driver
297 Posts
iDrive Menus Do it...

Deleted as a double post - sorry! See just below.

·
V-8 Driver
297 Posts
iDrive Menus Do it...

As best as I can tell from the .pdf dealer form linked above, I think I have set all those things by scrolling down in the various iDrive menus. I played around with it early on and the "Menu" button in the center console is your friend. It lets you back out one screen level at a time... You are a real expert user when you can pull up the visual representation of the car's oil level without thinking about it... Start that by pushing the iDrive button itself straight down to get the "Information" screen, unless you do not have Navigation. In that case, I think the "Information" screen may be on the right side of main screen instead of "Navigation".

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ViaP, Just what I was looking for and thank you for your research and input. As you and others in this string mention these "custom configuration choices" likely vary by model year, and the one you found does show only daytime running lights as something the dealer has to program. Before dealer programming there was no way to turn on these "inner" headlights. Now they are on whenever ignition is on and they are independent of any headlight switch setting. I don't think they are Xenon--they have a yellowish cast and don't throw as much light as the main outer headlights.

Regarding other posts in this string, my 2006 I-drive Lighting options are only (1) "triple turn signal" and (2) pathway lighting---there is no "daytime running light" option others mention for their model year.

Getting more proficient with I-drive, but have a ways to go yet. I was surprised at lack of coolant temperature gauge--still would like to know how hot car is running as early warning of problem before I get a warning light. Anyone found a good aftermarket gauge to install for coolant temperature? Dennis

·
Registered
370 Posts
I cant figure out how to turn on my inner lights. I have the daytime option box checked and they are still not on. The angel eyes are on but not the inner light. Do I have to take it back to dealer to get it turned on or something? Cause I really dont like my dealership...They were outstanding when I bought the car but the service department people are kind of rude

·
Registered
34 Posts
For the inner headlights - I got mine to function once I found the iDrive menu choice for "daytime running lights" and clicked the box... Yours are now specially programmed to be lit along with the main outers? If so, how much more light is thrown out there?
I have an '07 550i, too. How did you find the iDrive menu choice for daytime running lights?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an '07 550i and my iDrive doesn't have the option for the Daytime Running Lamps under Settings-Vehicle/Tires-Lighting as indicated in the owner's manual. The "Triple Turn Signal" and "Welcome Light" options are not there either. The only option shows up in iDrive is the "Pathway Lighting".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts