BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just called Harms and according to them my car cleared customs yesterday, and has been released to the VPC. Customs must have gotten caught up because it only took them three days to clear the car. Now on to the VPC to fix damage to the car.

My front bumper was scraped up in Europe (in fact there is a small square are which is scraped down to the primer), and change they would just replace the bumper instead of repainting that small section?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I just called Harms and according to them my car cleared customs yesterday, and has been released to the VPC. Customs must have gotten caught up because it only took them three days to clear the car. Now on to the VPC to fix damage to the car.

My front bumper was scraped up in Europe (in fact there is a small square are which is scraped down to the primer), and change they would just replace the bumper instead of repainting that small section?
Which ship were you on?
Did your car come through the West Coast port near Oxnard, California? If so looks like 3 days to clear customs is the norm, unlike the week plus on the East Coast. Sounds like recently not as many cars are being held up at the VPC for minor cosmetic type repairs so chances are you may get the car even faster with your dealer having to have the repairs completed.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Couple of questions.

1. What's the phone number for Harms?
2. Why are they fixing your car at the VPC. I got a scrape on the underside of the passenger rocker pannel. Both my CA and claims manager at Marsh told me, it would be delivered to the dealer for repair. They said only safety related issues would be fixed at the VPC. I've asked this question here before, but didn't get an answer. I was guessing that damage incurred in Europe (non-safety related) was fixed at the dealer and damage in transit was fixed at the VPC. :dunno: Does anyone?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which ship were you on?
Did your car come through the West Coast port near Oxnard, California? If so looks like 3 days to clear customs is the norm, unlike the week plus on the East Coast. Sounds like recently not as many cars are being held up at the VPC for minor cosmetic type repairs so chances are you may get the car even faster with your dealer having to have the repairs completed.
Ship was the Courageous, and it came through NJ. I was surprised with all the stories people have said here about NJ customs, but no problem with my car. According to Harms, the car should be delivered to BMW 8/24 or 8/27.

VPC is supposed to fix safety issues, and in the past some people have had their bumpers replaced there. I would prefer the car to sit an extra week at the VPC for them to replace the bumper than for the dealership to find a bodyshop to fix it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couple of questions.

1. What's the phone number for Harms?
2. Why are they fixing your car at the VPC. I got a scrape on the underside of the passenger rocker pannel. Both my CA and claims manager at Marsh told me, it would be delivered to the dealer for repair. They said only safety related issues would be fixed at the VPC. I've asked this question here before, but didn't get an answer. I was guessing that damage incurred in Europe (non-safety related) was fixed at the dealer and damage in transit was fixed at the VPC. :dunno: Does anyone?
Phone number is 908-353-1600, extension 103 or 104 (when you call the system tells you that). All you need is your name and the manufacturer of your car, and they will tell you the status of your car.

I remember reading that someone who needed a new bumper had his car at the VPC for an extra week while a new bumper was shipped so it could be replaced. VPC is supposed to fix safety issues, but perhaps the front bumper applies. I am hoping the VPC will fix so the dealer doesn't need to send it to a third party to get the bumper fixed (and I would get a bumper without the holes for the front license plate).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks, very helpful. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts