BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Cute little trick to diagnose blocked CCV system...

424588 Views 91 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  crazy4trains
I just came across this interesting little trick for diagnosing blocked CCV in the Volvo forum:

With the oil cap sealed, engine on, stick a balloon over the dipstick tube and see if it inflates. If it inflates you need to service the PCV system.

...Lee

I think he meant with the dipstick removed, so the balloon goes over the dipstick housing.

No balloon, no problem, get an old dish washing glove, cut a "finger" off and tie it with rubber band.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28322
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Just found this tip in a Google search, thank you for posting it CN90. What if the CCV unit is plugged but the diaphram is not torn, would this still inflate the balloon? Could you use B12 Chemtool or Seafoam in the vacuum lines to help clean the valve rather then replace it should it be a low mileage engine, or was already replaced less then 50,000 miles ago?
I just came across this interesting little trick for diagnosing blocked CCV in the Volvo forum:

With the oil cap sealed, engine on, stick a balloon over the dipstick tube and see if it inflates. If it inflates you need to service the PCV system.

...Lee

I think he meant with the dipstick removed, so the balloon goes over the dipstick housing.

No balloon, no problem, get an old dish washing glove, cut a "finger" off and tie it with rubber band.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28322
My guess is that it would not and oil would be leaking out the dipstick tube mount point, but if you have over a 100,000 miles on your BMW engine, it's recommended to change your CCV and hose's, so you should consider doing it.
What if the O-ring is bad on the oil dipstick what is still make the glove blow up

Sent from my LGMS210 using Bimmerfest mobile app
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.