Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would appear that the mirror(s) that I got from the Group Buy are bad or we (myself and my body shop) are doing something wrong installing them.

First off the connectors were different, no big deal, that is a documented issue at times as seen in the DIY section of e46fanatics.

So I told my body shop to go ahead and follow the schematic as stated in that DIY.

He calls me today to inform me that there are four wires coming out of the mirror and seven coming out of my car.

When they connected the wires how the schematic stated (even called the BMW tech at my local dealership to verify) the fuse would blow as soon as they connected the final wire.

This was a 5A fuse for the mirrors, just for the heck of it they tried a 15A fuse, and that blew as well!!!

So here my car sits without being able to put on the M3 mirrors that I purchased from you and I'm kinda stuck and don't know if the mirror is bad or if I should be doing something else.

Please help!

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
First you do realize that Cutter Motors does not own bimmerfest.com right?

I would suggest you multimeter the wires coming out of the car. Then use the same voltage (if the car is putting out 8v or whatever) to test the wires on the mirror. Figure out which does what and go from there.

Or you could use your original motors/wiring and swap them into the M3 housings.

Tim

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,175 Posts
I don't really know what I can do to help.
:dunno:

I am hoping that somebody else who participated in the Group
Buy can offer some insight. These things are usually quite
aggravating, but the (not-so-obvious) solution is usually
a simple one...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Jon, I was, at best, hoping that someone else might have run into this issue, or possibly that you were aware of someone and we could go from there. I just called them and left the message for my shop, they'll call back and I guess we'll go from there.

If anything this as been very interesting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I will be picking up my mirrors from the paint shop tomorrow, $160. The dealer wants $190 to install as they claim an hour on each door plus tax! I'm contemplating the DIY and if I run into the connection problem I may swap motors. From the sounds of it I may just bite the bullet at the dealer. :mad:

·
^yup, it's me^
2,215 Posts
Might the extra wires on the car be for the heated mirrors option? Those will be hot whenever the ignition is on. I think that something is crossed up at the connector and oversupplying the motor thus blowing a fuse. Brown is ground.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Transformation complete. From tools out to put back away 1 1/2 hours. One of the easiest mods yet!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok from what I'm hearing the M3 mirrors wiring changed in 03? If this is the case I feel that I should have been informed of this at the GB that Cutter was running. If my dealership is not able to get the wiring to work I feel that Cutter should take my mirrors back and supply me with 6-pin mirrors. They had to know that people with older cars were going to buy the mirrors in the GB.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Read the stickies in the GB forum. All members, participate at your own risk.

At this point I can only suggest returning the M3 mirror for full refund.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
CtrlAltDel said:
Finally had the local dealership look at it, there was no way to get the wiring to work, fuses kept blowing.

I'd like to return them, who do I need to contact?
Call Cutter BMW and ask for their parts department.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
CtrlAltDel said:
thanks, i figured as much, i was hoping i could have a name or someone from there that posts there would pick up the ball
Tony Cota. He's the manager of the Parts Department.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts