BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKAY, so I bought a new CV axle for my car and i've got the wheel off finally and the cap that goes over the retaining nut and the problem is, I don't know what size socket I need to loosen the nut all I know is that its 12 pointed and im pretty sure its an impact socket? idk for sure though. the nut is on the right, rear wheel. I just want to make sure I know the right size socket before I waste money on one that wont even fit.
ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!
thanksss :]

·
Registered
741 Posts
Are you talking about the big axle nut or the E torx bolts that hold the axle to the differential? The axle nut is 6 point and iirc, it's 32mm. Also, iirc, the e torx bolts are either an E8 or E10.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its just the circular 12 pointed nut when you take the "dust or hub cap" thing off its the first thing you see, my BMW book calls it a "driveshaft flange collar nut".
and I that's funny you said something about the torx bolt because I have to buy one today bc one of them on my car wont come off so we are gonna have to use an easy-out to get it off and im not sure what size for that either my friend said its prolly 3/8? idk

·
Registered
741 Posts
Pull that collar nut off with a plier or screwdriver, it's not screwed on. What's under it is a a 6 point axle nut. I don't remember what size. The other torx bolts on the diff side definitely not 3/8. It's either an E8 or E10 external torx bolt. Sometimes u can get them off with an 8mm 12 pt socket but better off buying an E torx socket set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay so pull the nut off? am I going to have to buy a new one to put on it? in the book it says after the CV axle is replaced I have to "deform" the driveshaft flange collar nut which im guessing means push both sides in so it wont come off?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay sorry if this annoying
(me asking over and over) lol
but the little 12 pointed ring just pops off then I need the six pointed
socket for whats behind it right?
im just trying to make sure

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hey bro, I gave you wrong info. I got my vehicles mixed up. You need a 30mm socket to take off the collar nut. You are going to need another nut after removing. I mixed it up with my Jeep which has a collar over a separate nut. Sorry bout that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ohhhhhhh okayyy, yeah I figured you got confused because so did I when I tried to go pop that thing off today and it wouldn't move haha. lol
its cool though.. and im a girl just for the record lol

·
Registered
741 Posts
30mm socket with BIG breaker bar/pipe, and an E14 external torx for the diff side bolts. That is for sure......this time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts